Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As single cards go it's an incredible card, amazing VR performance, whatever about the 1070 pricing, I think the 1080 is not a bad buy really considering it's currently top of the food chain (apart form the fury duo, but the fact that it costs an insane amount and crossfire is pretty crap right now), I'll probably end up getting one as well. Plus, the ACX cooler is fantastic - one of the only coolers that has 'GTX 1080' stamped on the side to show the world how aweosme your build is! (you might have to turn that carbide on its side as god intended)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I've actually just noticed something with the R9-290. Firstly it's awesome - Doom on Ultra IIRC 8tx AA and it still pumps out 40-50FPS @ 3440 x 1440 this on a three year old card. Also I was curious so used a sound meter on it. The fan % corresponds to the number of decibels! Currently 71 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm running a Tri-X 290 and playing Doom at 1440p ultra and it holds up quite well. Some stutters, but for the most part, it's solid - consider 290's go now for 150-180 second hand, it's about the best value per euro you could possibly get.

Any thoughts on thermal throttling I'm getting or mad fan speeds? Obviously it's a smaller case and it's mounted at the bottom/side but it's a mesh panel. Perhaps not enough thermal paste or are they genuinely just that mental? Fan speed is 60-70% to keep it in check 92-94C approx 4000rpm. I wasn't throttling out of the case and I had the fans set (accidently) to a max of 50%.

That said the front fans are set to exhaust so that's probably not doing the adjacent blower fan any favours!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've actually just noticed something with the R9-290. Firstly it's awesome - Doom on Ultra IIRC 8tx AA and it still pumps out 40-50FPS @ 3440 x 1440 this on a three year old card. Also I was curious so used a sound meter on it. The fan % corresponds to the number of decibels! Currently 71 :pac:

It's very well optimized for amd hardware, it uses Async as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'm running a r9 290 and wasn't foolish enough to fall for the hype of a new card as I only running a 60 Hz 1080p monitor. Will purchase a new monitor and graphics card when Vega is released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

40-50FPS for most parts. Wait till you get to some parts of the game and watch the FPS drop A LOT. I have the same GPU at same settings and rez

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

This is from DF's R9 390 review...

h4Bbvan.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    This is from DF's R9 390 review...

h4Bbvan.jpg

Odd the differences between the 290 and the 390 and 390x as they are basically the same card with some optimisation (maybe not that much) and more vram.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

index.php?ct=news&action=file&id=15419

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Hot damn, if that's real, hello budget card of the year :O

Edit: It also makes me weep for my poor GTX 760. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Looks like no 490 and 490x this time around.

To be honest... dont care hehe. 480x with 8gb is right up my alley now, with second 480x down the line after few months. Prices of 1070 on overclocker is just bonkers.

I predict AMD will announce RX Fury II / Nano II just before Sony & Microsoft release their "4K" consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Damn, looking at that graph, I didn't realize how much of a jump it would be from my R9 270 to the RX 480, now I'm wondering what the RX 490 is gonna be like...still I'm in no rush, next Sept might be the time to upgrade (for the long nights) when all the dust and hype has settled down and real world benchmarks are out there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Still no update on pre orders ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

A euro site listed preorders may be up next week (cant remember site or source, it was 6am and my mind is blurry)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Wouldnt expect pre-orders really till NDA lifting on the 29th?!

Wouldnt expect pre-orders really till NDA lifting on the 29th?!

The site stated it was quickly removed so it could be a mistake or it could be AMD striking a week early (doubt it). Kicking myself for not remembering where I seen it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Curious to see the impact of the launch on the previous gen cards.

Quick look on scan and OCUK shows all the 390x variants at above £250 which will surely be unsaleable if the 480 is priced around the same?

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Curious to see the impact of the launch on the previous gen cards.

Quick look on scan and OCUK shows all the 390x variants at above £250 which will surely be unsaleable if the 480 is priced around the same?

The prices won't go down until the last minute, even then they'll have the uninformed still buying them.

• Advertisement

The prices won't go down until the last minute, even then they'll have the uninformed still buying them.

People will always need room heaters :pac:

Okay mainly AdoredTV's analysis with some of my own thrown in and some conversions adding VAT.

Where is the Rx 490?

There won't be one this generation; reason? Wafers. AMD are going for market share which they have to do as they've been pushed hard in the CPU arena and are losing money. Market share allows them to show shareholders they're on the way to profitability. Regardless market share is definitely AMD's goal, that much we know.

The high end market is tiny and AMD want volume. There will be a proper launch with cards available, that said there is going to be plenty of demand with the 1070 disappointing in terms of price.

Rx 480 - $199?!?? - Not Quite :(

The Rx480, the ones people will buy, will be $299 or €329.99 converted and VAT added. This will be AiB boards with extra power and better coolers. There will be very few if any 4GB partner boards. There will be very few 4GB reference boards and although these will be available c.$199 they won't be a particularly attractive proposition. 8Gb reference expected at $229 I think more like $249 tbh.

980 performance expected with better performance with OC, partner boards and of course the results we're seeing are first release/beta drivers which AMD are known for being horrendous at. Expect better performance over the coming weeks where of course the 980 is as fast as it will go (sans overclocked).

Rx 470

This is gonna be the absolute killer product for anyone who is a couple of generations behind IMO. 8GB card for c. $179 - €219 inc VAT. A cut down version of the Rx480 with probably loads of OC headroom. 970 performance and a ridiculously low price and better DX12 performance.

Rx 460

Finally an AMD answer to the 750ti - could eventually go as low as €99.

So where's the top end then?

Expect a Rx Fury with HBM beating the 1080 in terms of performance and price to be swiftly followed up by a 1080ti.

In nVidia news:

Titan expected to be using the big brother of the 1070/80 chip (GP102 IIRC). If nVidia have any sense they'll make this outrageously expensive. People buying Titans are going to invest at almost any price. 1060 expected using the little brother (GP106 IIRC) I expect these to absolutely pwn the AMD cards but who knows when and at what price!

Yup, sounds all pretty reasonable Mark. I wonder if we will see a Titan + 1060 launch at the same time, or will they hold off on the titan, get going on the 1060 and release a cut down 1050 also (even though we've seen no evidence of it). Purely my speculation but I think NVidia need to hit that lower end much sooner than anyone needs the "Titan $$$3fast5me$$$".

TBH I've always seen the Titan as a vehicle to sell other GPUs. A bit like top end cars, very few people buy them but they get a 'taste' of them in the lower ranges.

Aye, release the Titan, and then get a taste of it in the 1080TI

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jaysus, looking at GTX 760 on the graph... I'll be upgrading my GFX card shortly! If for nothing else but to get more than 17-21 FPS whilst sniping 2km away on ARMA3 :P

There will be a 490/490x. I'd say they are waiting for HBM2 and possibly binning the better silicon for it.

BloodBath wrote: »
    There will be a 490/490x. I'd say they are waiting for HBM2 and possibly binning the better silicon for it.

While it's tenuous AMD's press releases have referred to the current line up as 'the full range'. I'm expecting a Fury with HBM and that's it.

Of course time will tell as always!

It just seems strange and unprecedented. Why would they just stop making high end cards? Especially after the biggest percentage die shrink in GPU history.

I'd say it is being kept under wraps for the inevitable titan / 1080ti launches which will result in 1070/1080 price drops which the 490 can then compete with.

This is a new architecture which amd will probably be using for the next 4-5 years. I'd say they just want to eek it out as long as they can.

• Advertisement

They'll be one than more fury I expect including a dual GPU version. I should have said some Furies sorry.

Edit: As for why they won't put HBM board against GDDR boards (or I wouldn't personally) for marketing reasons. In addition it's a bit difficult to say, look at those exclusive barsards, what's the point, then do the same themselves! :pac:

Advertisement