Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Thank you prebuilt machines. Here is price listed from Intel integrated to relevant cards:
    1.png?w=609

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

That's really good. Partner boards will surely be higher but it's a nice price. Vega with HBM2 is coming for the holidays though. You will see the 490/490x then I'd say. The Fury was the peak of the old 28nm architecture. I don't think we'll be seeing a 14nm Fury until it's near the end of it's lifespan. The 490 is rumored to have 4096 stream processors compared to the 2304 on the 480 so I'd expect nearly double the performance around the €400 mark.

AMD are right on track with their schedule anyway.

AMD-Next-Gen-Vega-GPU-and-Navi-GPU-2017-2018-635x357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

RX 470 for €149?

If you've a 970 and upgrading soon I'd sell it now otherwise you could be looking at getting €150 or less for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

RX 470 for €149?

If you've a 970 and upgrading soon I'd sell it now otherwise you could be looking at getting €150 or less for it.

father-ted-careful-now.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Thank you prebuilt machines. Here is price listed from Intel integrated to relevant cards:
    1.png?w=609

Nice find!
    I want to believe...

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Nice find!
    I want to believe...

Possibly Ex VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

€150 for a killer 4gb 1080p card? That's more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

RX 470 for €149?

Well, technically the 970 will still be 5-10% more powerful (stock).

I wonder if I could Crossfire 2x 470s in my mobo though...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Well, technically the 970 will still be 5-10% more powerful (stock).

I wonder if I could Crossfire 2x 470s in my mobo though...

What mobo have you got?

What mobo have you got?

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H

Listed as Tier 1 in Tom's tier list, and has CFX capability.

Though I could always upgrade and OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING :eek:

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H

Though I could always upgrade and OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING :eek:

Your second pcie slot is x4, so you'll lose up to 10-15% in CF than 2 x16 lanes.

Still the step up will be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The gain far outstrips the loss in 16/4x crossfire (the loss is very overrated), but my main concern would be more the patchy, unreliable nature of crossfire or SLI for matter - and even at that, I have more faith in SLI.

I used to think that if you're the sort of person that only plays AAA titles that dual cards were a decent bet, but lately that's just been proved wrong with titles like Fallout 4, Doom, etc.

Just go with a single card, it is the better solution.

In all likelyhood, single RX 480 8Gb sounds best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

More supposed benches (pinch of salt here)
    Also blatantly robbed from the OcUK forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

So...

The 480 is no more than a 290 that is more energy efficient .

That's my mind made up , I'm waiting for Vega. I'll stick with my 290 trix till then.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_rx_480_crossfire_benchmark_results_leak_online/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well, that was always the intention, that's not news. If people got 290x performance from a brand new card with lower power consumption and a better feature set for €209, that's a pretty solid card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

€150 for a killer 4gb 1080p card? That's more like it.

Have we any idea of launch dates?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Glebee wrote: »
    Have we any idea of launch dates?

Videocardz have said June 29th is RX 480 reference only, and in 2-3 days the AIBs will be out.

So I'm guessing around July 10th-14th for the 470, so as not to steal hype from the 480.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

So...

That's my mind made up , I'm waiting for Vega. I'll stick with my 290 trix till then.

http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/gpu_displays/amd_rx_480_crossfire_benchmark_results_leak_online/1
    If we can squeeze out a 10%-15% performance gain from an OC (I don't see why not considering GCN did it before) that would put the card squarely between the 980 and the Nano, which IMO is fine for €250.
    If Vega can do that, and keep this IPC gain, then we have a winner on our hands.

The 490 should be close to 1070 performance I'd say for around €400. 490x should be closer to the 1080 for around €500. At least based on 480 pricing. With a 6 month delay over Nvidia there is no way they can price gouge and AMD practically never price gouge.

Then Nvidia will drop the prices to similar levels and release the titan for around a grand with around 30% more performance than the 1080 and it will probably have something silly like 16gb of HBM2 making it the best 4k card you can get. Maybe the first single gpu card that delivers a fairly consistent 60fps in most games at 4k.

480's are supposed to over clock to around 1500mhz+ pretty easily.

• Advertisement

Titan is rumoured to be based on different silicon (the same as their professional range) the die is huge and if nVidia have any sense it will cost the guts of 2 grand and be an absolute behemoth!

More possible leaks:

http://imgur.com/gallery/N0sx7

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I need to upgrade my 750ti so I'm definitely picking one up. Although I won't complain, the 750ti was unreal for its price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

So...

480 will be easy to run at 1500 ghz which will bring it above 390 x speeds

Interesting video

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

These cards could be real winners in terms of making PCs with amazing performance affordable. I'm actually really excited about PC gaming at the moment!

Low-Mid range cards for €200-250 that blaze through 1080p/144hz.

Hopefully the 490's in December that will be perfect for 1440p/144hz for around €400-500.

Then the god cards or sli/crossfire for 3440x1440/100hz or 4k.

PC gaming is settling into 3 tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

BloodBath wrote: »
    Low-Mid range cards for €200-250 that blaze through 1080p/144hz.

Hopefully the 490's in December that will be perfect for 1440p/144hz for around €400-500.

Then the god cards or sli/crossfire for 3440x1440/100hz or 4k.

PC gaming is settling into 3 tiers.

What would you see the 3 tiers as being out of interest?

I'm hoping that the 490/490X will be perfect for that too and will last a few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Redfox25 wrote: »
    What would you see the 3 tiers as being out of interest?

I'm hoping that the 490/490X will be perfect for that too and will last a few years too.

They're literally in the post you quoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When have graphics cards not been in 3 tiers?

Advertisement