Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

TBH I see it breaking down more like this:

Legacy Hardware/Off the Shelf PCs - a very mixed bag ranging from okayish at 720p to utterly useless. Thankfully even the cheapest Argos laptops are starting to creep out of this tier. Hopefully it'll eventually die as the traditional office PC market gives way to chromebooks, tablets et al.

Economy PCs - Good integrated graphics and lower to mid range separate GPUs in older systems that needed an upgrade. I'd really like to see this segment better supported. One should be able to buy a sub €500 system with integrated graphics that play the current AAA titles at 30-60FPS at 1080p and 720p respectively. One should then be able to add an inexpensive GPU at a later date to keep the system current for five years+

Midrange (NOT Mainstream that's the above category!) - PCs that are custom builds or very good prebuilts. Base hardware is serviceable for 5 years+ with maybe 2 GPU upgrades. GPUs in this range should be under €250. These should play 1080 at 60FPS+ or 1440p at 40+.

Everything else - ranging from 1080p at 144hz upwards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

From NA, and apparently stock will be plentiful for launch.:
    MSRP

AMD Radeon RX 480
    $199 (4 GB)
    $229 (8 GB)

AMD Radeon RX 470
    $149 (4 GB)
    $179 (8 GB)

AMD Radeon RX 460
    $99 (2 GB)
    $119 (4 GB)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

From NA, and apparently stock will be plentiful for launch.:
    MSRP

AMD Radeon RX 480
    $199 (4 GB)
    $229 (8 GB)

AMD Radeon RX 470
    $149 (4 GB)
    $179 (8 GB)

AMD Radeon RX 460
    $99 (2 GB)
    $119 (4 GB)
    RIP Nvidia low-mid range.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I feel the 470 and 480 prices are too close together, most people will just get the 480, the 460 will have their own crowd. Either way the prices are all excellent (obviously expect a couple more euro tagged onto the RRP)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    RIP Nvidia low-mid range.

Its still AMD and we are yet to see in game benchmarks. Also € prices. Things are very different across the water when compared to the market here.

If they get it right though then I am sure it will take a decent share of the market.

• Advertisement

Edit: see post 101, sneak peak of 470 benching

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I feel the 470 and 480 prices are too close together, most people will just get the 480, the 460 will have their own crowd. Either way the prices are all excellent (obviously expect a couple more euro tagged onto the RRP)

I just don't see the point of the 460. AMD are trying to market it for E-sports and the MOBO crowd but I just can't see someone not willing to spend $20 more for a 470.
    Its still AMD and we are yet to see in game benchmarks. Also € prices. Things are very different across the water when compared to the market here.

If they get it right though then I am sure it will take a decent share of the market.

It's really is going to be down to the In-game benchmarks and feature set that will make or break the 480 as so far its looking to offer only 390 levels of performance from what various reports are claiming and I don't think this is enough to get people to upgrade and take that big a chunk of market share.

Also, lets not forget about the rumored 1060, which if it fits into Nvidia's product line where analysts reckon it will, could give just under 980Ti performance for around €290-350 which will blow the 480 out of the water. I'm honestly expect info on the 1060 to come out just before the official 480 launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Venom wrote: »
    Also, lets not forget about the rumored 1060, which if it fits into Nvidia's product line where analysts reckon it will, could give just under 980Ti performance for around €290-350 which will blow the 480 out of the water. I'm honestly expect info on the 1060 to come out just before the official 480 launch.

It really all depends on overclocking. It's important to note that from the get go this generation was expected to be nVidia with the hot bleeding edge and AMD with all the OC potential. The 480 could, in theory, produce Titan X levels of performance if the OC headroom is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Venom wrote: »
    I just don't see the point of the 460. AMD are trying to market it for E-sports and the MOBO crowd but I just can't see someone not willing to spend $20 more for a 470.

There's a $50 difference before tax between the 460 and 470, that's a pretty big difference for people on a tight budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The RX 460 2Gb might end up being "good enough" for MOBA / old games at 1080p or lower, which then gives you 50 quid for skins & energy drinks :pac:

• Advertisement

It really all depends on overclocking. It's important to note that from the get go this generation was expected to be nVidia with the hot bleeding edge and AMD with all the OC potential. The 480 could, in theory, produce Titan X levels of performance if the OC headroom is there.

390 overclocking results of 500mhz extra over base which is around what 480 leaks also suggest which is 8%ish performance.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-nitro-r9-390-8g-d5,4245.html#p10

Pascal indeed does not seem to overclock very well with 2000mhz being the magic number for most reviewers but that's on top of blistering base performance. I just don't see the 480 being able to overclock to Fury X/980Ti/Titan X levels and that's not even taking the silicon lottery into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Another week and we will know I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Some interesting chatter over in the overclockers.co.uk forum as well as some Chinese ones.

With all the "leaks" we still have very little hard evidence of how it will perform due to inconsistencies in benchmarks/screenshots, lack of official driver support etc. I'm taking everything with an entire handful of salt until the real reviews come out - even if my current GPU is a 5770!

Personally I'd be happy with 390x or thereabouts plus some room OC.
    I don't play above 1080p anyway so should be fine regardless.

News on price from OCUK and Reddit suggest the wholesalers/vendors have their price at around £170 (+VAT) for the 8GB XFX version so hopefully will hit retail at the ~£210/€270
    Source - OCUK
    Source - Reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Nope. In that price range, €40-50 is 1/3 of the price you're paying. If it wasn't a big deal in the first place, buyers wouldn't make the distinction. €5-10 can be the difference in making a sale in that bracket, it's very very cutthroat. But the volume is worth it if you get it right.

Enticing someone who's already paying stupid money for a 1070/1080/fury class card to pay a bit extra isn't much of a stretch. Chances are the buyer is in the mould of "ah sure the money's burning a hole in my pocket, I'd only spend it on something else anyway". Someone whose budget is €100-€150 is someone who's either not interested in spending the money, or has had to save/make sacrifices to get to the point of buying; they're not candidates for being pushed up a tier without getting a tradeoff somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

It seems the XFX models of the RX 480 are up on Geizhals....for €360

There's definitely some bloating going on there and I highly doubt that's what we will pay for reference. If we do, I'm suing AMD's marketing and ask the EU's anti-consumerism laws be put in place XD

EDIT: just checked the sites prices for other things. When I saw that the ASUS GTX 970 was €520....yeah So I expect around €220 for 4GB and €265 for 8GB reference models. AIB's will proabbly fall close to the €230-€240 and €270-€280 price points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

When have graphics cards not been in 3 tiers?

Well realistically it's about 6 tiers.

I'm talking more about dedicated gaming systems. 720p is dead in this scenario for people buying new PC's today unless they are on an extremely tight budget and intel graphics are only going to handle a handful of relevant games reasonably well.

1080p/60hz is really the new entry level that €100-150 graphics cards are going to max most games on. A €400-500 PC is affordable to most. You're only talking €50-100 more if you want solid 1080p/144hz performance. I'm sure AMD will release a new range of quad core 14nm APU's with solid 1080p/60hz performance for around €150 as well so the barrier to entry will be even cheaper.

Graphics Cards have gotten so good that you need to upgrade your old 1080p/60hz monitor for anything over €200 if you want to make the most of it.

I just hope the 1440p/144hz market get's more popular to drive more and cheaper products. They haven't really come down in price in the last couple of years when realistically they should be around €300-400 by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BloodBath wrote: »
    Well realistically it's about 6 tiers.

Low(50-150), mid(150-300) and high(300+). You could break it down within those tiers but usually the following statement is correct in terms of the above.

Mid Tier is the most effective in terms of price/performance.

Amd seem to have decided that they can't win the high tier race. But what they can do is produce chips in volume. They have to for the consoles. So its looks like they are going to try outdo Nvidia on a price/performance ration like nothing we have ever seen before. I wouldn't be surprised

Pending reviews and a bit of time I'll be picking up one of these. I game in 1900*1200 at 60hz. This card suits me perfectly.

There's numerous leaks of clock speeds and potential overclock speeds of 1.5ghz, making it 980ti territory levels of performance. We'll know in 6 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

There's numerous leaks of clock speeds and potential overclock speeds of 1.5ghz, making it 980ti territory levels of performance. We'll know in 6 days!

It will never reach 980ti performance ( according to Gibbo at overclockers uk)

Which isn't strange ... That Ti is a beast

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

weisses wrote: »
    It will never reach 980ti performance ( according to Gibbo at overclockers uk)

Which isn't strange ... That Ti is a beast

Yeah, at best it would be around 10-15% off of it at the 1.5GHz mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

This card seems to be a bit of a beast for the price, I want one, now.......near fury x performance on air cooled.....
    http://www.game-debate.com/news/20566/overclocked-rx-480-on-air-cooling-can-nearly-match-fury-x-performance

This card seems to be a bit of a beast for the price, I want one, now.......near fury x performance on air cooled.....
    http://www.game-debate.com/news/20566/overclocked-rx-480-on-air-cooling-can-nearly-match-fury-x-performance

If that article is true, waiting on a AIB card with a good cooler would be the way to go for a cheap and badass card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,321 ✭✭✭dunworth1

AMD are going to clean up with the 480 200 odd quid for a beast of a card
    hopefully this will nudge nvidea down a notch

ive got a 290x so i'll be holding out until Vega

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Just looking at a pic of the rx 480 on Toms hardware. Only seems to be hdmi output? Or should it comes with serial output?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Just looking at a pic of the rx 480 on Toms hardware. Only seems to be hdmi output? Or should it comes with serial output?

Serial? Do you mean Display Port?

Different manufacturers tend to put their own spin on the I/O. I expect all AMD cards to at least have display port these days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

RX 480 game-play leaks.....apparently the uploader has game benchmarks posted accidentally by a NZ review channel GGPC but then quickly removed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Serial? Do you mean Display Port?

Different manufacturers tend to put their own spin on the I/O. I expect all AMD cards to at least have display port these days though.

Yes display port. Won't need to upgrade monitor just yet so

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Jo Satan wrote: »
    RX 480 game-play leaks.....apparently the uploader has game benchmarks posted accidentally by a NZ review channel GGPC but then quickly removed

Unless we know the settings then that means nothing. My 290 can hit a solid 60 at High settings, and we know the 480 is about the same power already so whats the relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Unless we know the settings then that means nothing.

Settings at the end of the clip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Jo Satan wrote: »
    Settings at the end of the clip

Didn't watch the whole thing :(

Advertisement