Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

I'm looking forward to the pricing and reviews on this one. Also interested in the xfire options. 4 way would be awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

4 way would be awesome

4 way will be terrible just like it always is.

Venom wrote: »
    4 way will be terrible just like it always is.

I know but i can dream. It would be a master stroke if AMD could pull it off. 4 way xfire for 1000euro

I know but i can dream. It would be a master stroke if AMD could pull it off. 4 way xfire for 1000euro

This issue is not if AMD could pull it off, more down to developers not taking the time to implement it in games. Also seeing as Nvidia have pretty much stated their giving up on supporting anything more that 2 way SLI, I don't see game devs taking the extra time needed just for crossfire users.

This issue is not if AMD could pull it off, more down to developers not taking the time to implement it in games. Also seeing as nvidia have pretty much stated their giving on on supporting anything more that 2 way SLI, I don't see game devs taking the extra time needed just for crossfire users.

I just have a feeling AMD will bring something that will blow us away. I can't remember the last time i owned an AMD card. I know i'm crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

AMD could make every allowance under the sun for multi-gpu configurations and at the end of the day it's all down to the game developers.

Also, seeing as a small minority even use 2 cards, let alone 3 or 4....

I get people buying dual 980Ti's, 1080's, or other high end cards where there just aren't any other higher tier cards of note available, so dual cards is the logical choice.

But buying two cheap cards thinking you're getting the same performance as a top-tier card is totally misinformed. The sheer amount of games that don't support dual cards, have issues with dual cards, or scale incredibly poorly is enough that I'd never touch any Crossfire or SLI setup ever again.

Personally I think anyone that would choose 480 crossfire over a single 1070 is making a serious mistake, even if the 'paper' specs are superior.

I think with DX12 a lot of the xfire/sli issues are being solved. I found an interesting article that might interest yee.

http://wccftech.com/amd-sheds-more-light-on-explicit-multiadapter-in-directx-12-in-new-slides/

I'm excited and optimistic about AMD and that hasn't happened to me in a few years. I might even just sli/xfire my 980 with a 480 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

But it still requires some work in the software to support it. Not as much as xfire or sli, but it's not automatic or free.

But it still requires some work in the software to support it. Not as much as xfire or sli, but it's not automatic or free.

No not free but i believe the biggest issue their having is cpu side. 4 cores doesn't seem to be enough to manage the synchronising of the gpu's at 4K resolutions. All other resolutions seem to be fine with up to 70% efficiency gpu side. So positive stuff all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Anyone recommend a motherboard and CPU in the same price range that would/should go well with this GPU? Gaming will be the most intensive thing it's used for.

• Advertisement

No not free but i believe the biggest issue their having is cpu side. 4 cores doesn't seem to be enough to manage the synchronising of the gpu's at 4K resolutions. All other resolutions seem to be fine with up to 70% efficiency gpu side. So positive stuff all around.

That's not only wrong but has been proven to be wrong multiple times by various Youtubbers and websites. The likes of Linus and Elric on Youtube to name just a few, have run tests on multi card setups using multiple best in slot hardware configurations and found SLI/Crossfire setups don't scale performance or value wise.

That's not only wrong but has been proven to be wrong multiple times by various Youtubbers and websites. The likes of Linus and Elric on Youtube to name just a few, have run tests on multi card setups using multiple best in slot hardware configurations and found SLI/Crossfire setups don't scale performance or value wise.

I missed those uploads from elric and linus, did they run their benches in DX12 and use Explicit Multiadapter from AMD? Could you link the videos to me? I came across this post from 8 months ago that gives a brief outline of things to come from the big two. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-launching-dual-gpu-flagship-graphics/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I missed those uploads from elric and linus, did they run their benches in DX12 and use Explicit Multiadapter from AMD? Could you link the videos to me? I came across this post from 8 months ago that gives a brief outline of things to come from the big two. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-launching-dual-gpu-flagship-graphics/
    1. WCCFtech is not a trustworthy news source, they post rumours/photoshop scams as "sourced fact" all the time :pac:
    2. All multi-GPU configurations cannot scale linearly, since performance is lost in driver overhead (i.e. a 2x GPU will never perform at 200%)

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    1. WCCFtech is not a trustworthy news source, they post rumours/photoshop scams as "sourced fact" all the time :pac:
    2. All multi-GPU configurations cannot scale linearly, since performance is lost in driver overhead (i.e. a 2x GPU will never perform at 200%)

look i dunno what to say to you, who said 200%? it's an exciting time for GPU's and software. That has to be worth waiting for. I'm excited.

Bugger all games support DX12 and it doesn't seem to be catching on either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_12_support

Any games I'v seen tested on reputable websites have only shown a tiny improvement using DX12 so I don't see what your getting all excited about.

Any games I'v seen tested on reputable websites have only shown a tiny improvement using DX12 so I don't see what your getting all excited about.

I'm out, Peace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd have to agree. I wish it was otherwise but thats the lay of the land at the moment.

Am I to early for....

amdfail_zpsmfwz4yx1.jpg

:D

Am I to early for....

amdfail_zpsmfwz4yx1.jpg

:D

lol, you win the internet today. I can't even deny it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woahthere

when do you think we can order them in Ireland? Would you say we could order the Rx 480 tomorrow?

• Advertisement

woahthere wrote: »
    when do you think we can order them in Ireland? Would you say we could order the Rx 480 tomorrow?

Not sure about order date but i believe they will be stocked in large numbers so it should be easy to get one.

Overclockers have said they have 500 reference cards for launch day. AIB cards are about 2 weeks out at least tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 woahthere

Overclockers have said they have 500 reference cards for launch day. AIB cards are about 2 weeks out at least tho.
    So I can't order for at least another 2 weeks?

So I can't order for at least another 2 weeks?

You can. The AIB or add in board is the aftermarket boards from asus,evga etc. The stock AMD boards will release first and there's plenty of them. We just don't know when

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

bur wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a motherboard and CPU in the same price range that would/should go well with this GPU? Gaming will be the most intensive thing it's used for.

Any i3/i5 with a cheap motherboard...

i5 6400 with a B150 for example, total cost about 230-240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Prices on Amazon UK now: 212 GBP Xfx 8gb Ref card (222 GBP for backplate version)
    It does say out of stock however.

Edit: 212 GBP = ~256 eurons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

So when are we expecting the first news? Around 1pm like with NVidia?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Xenoronin wrote: »
    So when are we expecting the first news? Around 1pm like with NVidia?

9am CT according to a leak. So 3pm our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

That's cool. I don't know why I'm excited. I've restricted myself to NVidia with this damn G-Sync :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ScawlDballs

I'm in the market for a new single gpu to replace my ageing HD 7770 vapor-x crossfire setup and was looking forward to ordering an RX 480.
    I'll be looking to OC it though, so I suppose I'm better off sitting on my hands and waiting for the AIB's with better coolers to come out.

I'm getting impatient though :/

Advertisement