Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Xenoronin wrote: »
    That's cool. I don't know why I'm excited. I've restricted myself to NVidia with this damn G-Sync :D

Hahahah

Im the same with my Freesync monitor and have been watching all the chat on the 1070 and 1080 thread with envy.

Roll on the AMD version later this year, early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Eager to update from my aging 6870, may settle for a 470, but all depends on the Irish pricing! All will be revealed today hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Where would the best place be to try and snag one? Tried to even to backorder from Amazon and its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ScawlDballs

VivGrise wrote: »
    Where would the best place be to try and snag one? Tried to even to backorder from Amazon and its gone.

I use computeruniverse.net (are we allowed put urls for stores on here?).
    After dabs closed, I switched to these guys and they are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'm in the market for a new single gpu to replace my ageing HD 7770 vapor-x crossfire setup and was looking forward to ordering an RX 480.
    I'll be looking to OC it though, so I suppose I'm better off sitting on my hands and waiting for the AIB's with better coolers to come out.

I'm getting impatient though
    p5X6utO.jpg

Could easily be a shop! Tasty all the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 ScawlDballs

B00MSTICK wrote: »

Could easily be a shop! Tasty all the same

I'd say it's shopped.
    That's the MSI 1080 card I think.

Prices on OCUK now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Reviews starting to drop

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

£175 for an xfx 4gb version and £219 for 8gb version £239 for factory oc XFX version. Those prices are alright to me:-) I have a budget of around €300

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Bit surprised to see nothing about the 460/470

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Surely unless you need the VRAM for something... an AIB GTX 970 makes more sense for exactly the same price, and it's actually better in benchmarks?

Surely unless you need the VRAM for something... an AIB GTX 970 makes more sense for exactly the same price, and it's actually better in benchmarks?

Better software set on the Nvidia side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Bit surprised to see nothing about the 460/470

Low-end cards don't make enough CPM :pac:

Older architecture, plus it beat the GTX 980 on HItman in DX12, and that's where it will shine I reckon, most of the benchmarks were in DX11....DX12 really brings it up...

Consider me disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Wait a while for some more reviews, and for the AIB cards to come out and for those to be reviewed too I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Older architecture, plus it beat the GTX 980 on HItman in DX12, and that's where it will shine I reckon, most of the benchmarks were in DX11....DX12 really brings it up...

Older architecture isn't exactly going to bother me when it's beating newer stuff in games across the board. Unless you can point to one benefit of it being newer architecture?

And the 390 and 290X also beat the 970/980 in that Hitman benchmark. And you can by a reference R9 390 8gb for £199, or AIB for £229.

I'm really not seeing the point of this card now tbh. Apart from being "new", it's actually the worst option you can go for.

Older architecture isn't exactly going to bother me when it's beating newer stuff in games across the board. Unless you can point to one benefit of it being newer architecture?

And the 390 and 290X also beat the 970/980 in that Hitman benchmark. And you can by a reference R9 390 8gb for £199, or AIB for £229.

I'm really not seeing the point of this card now tbh. Apart from being "new", it's actually the worst option you can go for.

Its 1 review, released 2 hours ahead of the NDA. And AMD drivers are usually bad at launch. So calm your chops. Also it has at least caused the 970 to drop its price and for Nvidia to be reminded there is some semblance of competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Wow, glad I didn't put my 970 on adverts now at a low price because of the RX 480.

Loads of people rushed to sell their 970s at ridiculously low prices with the threat of the RX 480 looming.

This image comes to mind.

EgMWrY9.jpg?1

And some more reviews

• Advertisement

Architecture, power consumption & heat.

At least they're now competing with GTX 970, and can trumpet their VRAM advantage (4.5Gb).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Really disappointed. Completely priced out of the market and some of the benchmarks are disappointing to say the least. They need to drop 50 euro to at least be considered already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm not really sure what peoples expectations were that they are now so disappointed.

The leaks mostly showed it was in the GTX970 performance range, which it is. Its the mid range card of this generation of GPUs from AMD, with GTX970 performance numbers more or less on day one driver, with the latest iteration of display connections, and only needs a 6 pin pci-express cable to power it. My media PC can run this without replacing the power supply.

And its relatively cheap.

If thats not your cup of tea, well there is still the bonus that it has forced price drops for the GTX970, so its win-win.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what peoples expectations were that they are now so disappointed.

The leaks mostly showed it was in the GTX970 performance range, which it is. Its the mid range card of this generation of GPUs from AMD, with GTX970 performance numbers more or less on day one driver, with the latest iteration of display connections, and only needs a 6 pin pci-express cable to power it. My media PC can run this without replacing the power supply.

If thats not your cup of tea, well there is still the bonus that it has forced price drops for the GTX970, so its win-win.

That's what I was thinking, It's actually 25w less power hungry than my R9 270 and a big step up.

Lu Tze wrote: »

The newer display connections are a fair point alright but would the target market for this card need or use them?

As for pricing, AIB 390/390X's and 970/980's have dropped down in price by a huge margin due to the newer Nvidia and AMD cards so is it still that great a deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Lads give me the simplified opionon. Will this card cover new titles for the next 2 years?

Lads give me the simplified opionon. Will this card cover new titles for the next 2 years?

What resolution do you play at?

Venom wrote: »
    The newer display connections are a fair point alright but would the target market for this card need or use them?

As for pricing, AIB 390/390X's and 970/980's have dropped down in price by a huge margin due to the newer Nvidia and AMD cards so is it still that great a deal?

They are reference cards and most charts are showing non reference 970's.

The 4gig version is about 220 delivered.
    The cheapest 4 gig 970 reference is now about 260.
    The 8gig version of the 480 is about 265.

Some tests show games that like their Vram having the 970 suffer. So, it competes with the 970, which has taken a sizable chunk out of its RRP over the last few months.

They are reference cards and most charts are showing non reference 970's.

The 4gig version is about 220 delivered.
    The cheapest 4 gig 970 reference is now about 260.
    The 8gig version of the 480 is about 265.

Some tests show games that like their Vram having the 970 suffer. So, it competes with the 970, which has taken a sizable chunk out of its RRP over the last few months.

That's the reference 480 price tho so you can expect the AIB cards to be around the €300 mark. Seeing as the reference card runs hot, is crap for overclocking and is loud as hell, I don't see this card as being good value at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    What resolution do you play at?

Lol I said simplify it. My monitor just died this week so I've ordered a 60hz benq. The latest game I have is gta v but I'll most likely buy the next installment of cod, battlefront.

Advertisement