Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD RX 4xx Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ScawlDballs

I won't be touching the reference card myself.
    Seen the 8gb on the supplier that I use for €289 but they don't have the 4gb yet (that's the one I want for 1080p gaming).

I've a great airy modified Antec 900 with good cable routing and super cooling, but I don't trust the ****ty cooler on that reference card.
    I'll wait a few weeks for better units to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Lol I said simplify it. My monitor just died this week so I've ordered a 60hz benq. The latest game I have is gta v but I'll most likely buy the next installment of cod, battlefront.

What resolution is the new monitor tho? Consider it a need to know :confused:

1080p
    1440p

I won't be touching the reference card myself.
    Seen the 8gb on the supplier that I use for €289 but they don't have the 4gb yet (that's the one I want for 1080p gaming).

I've a great airy modified Antec 900 with good cable routing and super cooling, but I don't trust the ****ty cooler on that reference card.
    I'll wait a few weeks for better units to drop.

You would be made not to get the 8GB version if you really must have this card as the 4GB cards use the old 7gbps GDDR5, but the 8GB ones use the new 8gbps GDDR5 also seen on the 1070.

And it seems AMD kinda fudged the crossfire performance info.

Alot.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Venom wrote: »
    That's the reference 480 price tho so you can expect the AIB cards to be around the €300 mark. Seeing as the reference card runs hot, is crap for overclocking and is loud as hell, I don't see this card as being good value at all.

Assuming that the prices from overlockers are not a little inflated with it being launch day and all, I still don't see where you are coming from. Assuming your 35 euro increase for better coolers, a 4gig card will still be 40-50 Euros cheaper then a equivalent 970. That's a much higher cost/performance ratio then the 970 unless I'm missing something.

The initial early review showed ****e performance, but all the others now show the same results of a few better and a few slightly worse results on par with the 970. Unless the game uses all the vram, in which case the 8gig 480 wins out.

You would be made not to get the 8GB version if you really must have this card as the 4GB cards use the old 7gbps GDDR5, but the 8GB ones use the new 8gbps GDDR5 also seen on the 1070.

And it seems AMD kinda fudged the crossfire performance info.

Alot.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/

Not really surprising, Crossfire and SLI suck and nobody should ever use them

Are you referencing the charts where they showed 480's using explicit GPU's in Ashes? Because in theory 2x performance should be possible with any set of cards, AMD or Nvidia. Its very similar to the concept of x86 multithreading. But in the same vein, its very dependent on the game engine actually being set up for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

If you were going to show how good CrossFire was on your new card you would pick the game that would show that the best, not some game that didnt so its not fudging really. Its being relative with the truth.
    Now if reviewers could not match those bench marks in the same game with the same set up then that is lying.
    Interesting stuff.

Assuming that the prices from overlockers are not a little inflated with it being launch day and all, I still don't see where you are coming from. Assuming your 35 euro increase for better coolers, a 4gig card will still be 40-50 Euros cheaper then a equivalent 970. That's a much higher cost/performance ratio then the 970 unless I'm missing something.

The initial early review showed ****e performance, but all the others now show the same results of a few better and a few slightly worse results on par with the 970. Unless the game uses all the vram, in which case the 8gig 480 wins out.

It will depend on the prices and performance of the AIB 480's but the reference card's poor overclocking ability is pretty shocking taking into account previous generations reference coolers from both AMD and Nvidia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Architecture, power consumption & heat.

At least they're now competing with GTX 970, and can trumpet their VRAM advantage (4.5Gb).

Power consumption sure it's better, but heat? Are you having a laugh? They're already 80+C before overclocking...
    Lu Tze wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what peoples expectations were that they are now so disappointed.

The leaks mostly showed it was in the GTX970 performance range, which it is. Its the mid range card of this generation of GPUs from AMD, with GTX970 performance numbers more or less on day one driver, with the latest iteration of display connections, and only needs a 6 pin pci-express cable to power it. My media PC can run this without replacing the power supply.

And its relatively cheap.

If thats not your cup of tea, well there is still the bonus that it has forced price drops for the GTX970, so its win-win.

Maybe it's just me, but I really am lost at the point of this card now. Hey guys look we finally caught up with two years ago? Slightly less performance than a 970. Pretty much same power consumption around 150W. 970 is still running cooler.

Oh look it only uses a single 6 pin? Well the Asus Strix 970 only uses a 6+2.

If it was actually $229 - as in launched in europe at €205-210, then it would be at the right price point to cause a bit of interest. Coming in at the same price as a R9 390 / GTX 970, with less performance...

200_s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

It's... fine? Like. Sure the hype train has been derailed but it's pretty much spot on where they were aiming for a VR ready, cheap graphics solution. I hoped for a clear beating of the 970 though, rather than a "in these very specific cases it beats it".

If it was actually $229 - as in launched in europe at €205-210, then it would be at the right price point to cause a bit of interest. Coming in at the same price as a R9 390 / GTX 970, with less performance...

The 8 gig or the 4 gig? The 8 gig is at the same price point as the 970 and has the advantage of vram. The 4 gig is significantly cheaper.

Regardless, I'm going to sit back and wait a few weeks to see where this is going. I might just end up with a 470.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

It's not less performance though, the 480 is slightly better than the 970 reference card. On guru3d the 480 is equal to or beats the reference 970 in nearly every benchmark.

Places like Tom's Hardware used factory Oc'd 970s (12% OC) and the 480 came off slightly worse

The disappointing thing is the performance per watt, thought it would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Lads give me the simplified opionon. Will this card cover new titles for the next 2 years?

Yes, though you may have to drop down to Medium settings in some titles eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Wait for the AIB cards. Cooler, a good deal quieter and maybe overclockable.

Any idea when they'll be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ScawlDballs

Should I pull the trigger? :confused:

I wouldn't.
    I'm happy to wait until I see what happens with better coolers and drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

I think you can. If you want to wait a few more days for better aftermarket coolers to show up, you can, and get a bit better a card. But if you just can't wait, then it isn't that loud under load (unless you crank that fan up to 100%) and a pretty decent price.

Any idea when they'll be out?

Rumor is mid July.

Rumor also claims the GTX 1060 is due then as well so well worth waiting to see how that pans out imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Id wait a little while for the AIB cards and for the 1060 to drop. It will probably cause a price drop on this card which if you end up going for it in 2-3 weeks its money in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd say the 1060 will make this obsolete in one fell swoop. Similar price point and 980+ performance is what I'm betting on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

What resolution is the new monitor tho? Consider it a need to know :confused:

1080p
    1440p

1080p
    1 ms

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

That's the reference 480 price tho so you can expect the AIB cards to be around the €300 mark. Seeing as the reference card runs hot, is crap for overclocking and is loud as hell, I don't see this card as being good value at all.

Where are you getting the €300 from? Especially for the 4GB version if you are doing a like for like comparison with the GTX970.
    The newer display connections are a fair point alright but would the target market for this card need or use them?

As for pricing, AIB 390/390X's and 970/980's have dropped down in price by a huge margin due to the newer Nvidia and AMD cards so is it still that great a deal?

Without the 480 launching, there would have been no price drops. I really dont get the point of your posts. If the 480 was more expensive you would have a point but as it stands:

- Similar to GTX970/R9 390 performance
    - Newer features/connections (i dont think the old HDMI format could do 1440p greater than 60hz?
    - Similar price if not cheaper
    - Potential for performance to increase as it has just launched (vs cards with 2-3 years driver development behind them)
    - Low power draw (only needs a 6 pin)
    - If selling on in 2 years time, you will have a bigger potential buyer base (6 pin) a current gen card vs 1 gen older.

I think the low power draw is key, look how well the 750ti sold, and still holds its value secondhand despite the launch of the 950, held up much better than the higher end cards typically.

The market for it is huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

I thought it was going to cost 200 euros not 280 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Jo Satan

Overall it seems to be a decent card at a very good price, it's performance is in the range of the stock GTX 970 at about the same price.
    Whilst at the same time having over double the VRAM and being a better prospect for future games.
    So a great upgrade from GTX 750ti and GTX 960.

The lack of real overclocking headroom is a shame but in reality how many people feel comfortable running an overclocked card.
    I have an EVGA 970 ftw and although I can overclock the boost to 1480mhz and eek out about 10% over the factory OC I dont bother as I just dont care about an extra ~6fps in games.
    Maybe in a years time when the games I like get more demanding but that will more likely be down to the 3.5G VRAM than clock speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Right I have a very swift decision to make, brother is coming home from the States on 7th July and can pick this up for me at $239 (the 8gb).

Is this a no brainer or should I wait longer? I am only after max settings 1080 gaming and I'm currently running a 2gb R9 285 which does admirably but is starting to show signs of struggle with newer titles.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Where are you getting the €300 from? Especially for the 4GB version if you are doing a like for like comparison with the GTX970.

Without the 480 launching, there would have been no price drops. I really dont get the point of your posts. If the 480 was more expensive you would have a point but as it stands:

- Similar to GTX970/R9 390 performance
    - Newer features/connections (i dont think the old HDMI format could do 1440p greater than 60hz?
    - Similar price if not cheaper
    - Potential for performance to increase as it has just launched (vs cards with 2-3 years driver development behind them)
    - Low power draw (only needs a 6 pin)
    - If selling on in 2 years time, you will have a bigger potential buyer base (6 pin) a current gen card vs 1 gen older.

I think the low power draw is key, look how well the 750ti sold, and still holds its value secondhand despite the launch of the 950, held up much better than the higher end cards typically.

The market for it is huge.

I'm talking about an AIB 8GB 480 for the faster ram over the 4GB version and a better cooler to aid overclocking and seeing the reference 8GB card is £229 or €279, €300ish sounds about right.

The prices have been dropping for 390/390X's and 970/980's since the 1070/1080 launched and while the 480 is dropping them some more, it alone is not the sole reason those last gen cards prices are tumbling.

Drivers will of course help but lets be realistic and not start expecting crazy levels of performance from them. The power draw on the 480 under load is not that impressive tbh and still behind Nvidia's latest offerings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/6

These cards will not hold there value for 2 years and the amount of power connectors wont alter that fact.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Right I have a very swift decision to make, brother is coming home from the States on 7th July and can pick this up for me at $239 (the 8gb).

Is this a no brainer or should I wait longer? I am only after max settings 1080 gaming and I'm currently running a 2gb R9 285 which does admirably but is starting to show signs of struggle with newer titles.
    If he can get through without paying tax it's a no brainer - take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm talking about an AIB 8GB 480 for the faster ram over the 4GB version and a better cooler to aid overclocking and seeing the reference 8GB card is £229 or €279, €300ish sounds about right.

The prices have been dropping for 390/390X's and 970/980's since the 1070/1080 launched and while the 480 is dropping them some more, it alone is not the sole reason those last gen cards prices are tumbling.

Drivers will of course help but lets be realistic and not start expecting crazy levels of performance from them. The power draw on the 480 under load is not that impressive tbh and still behind Nvidia's latest offerings.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/6

These cards will not hold there value for 2 years and the amount of power connectors wont alter that fact.

I wasnt saying it would hold its value for 2 years. In 2 years though i think you would sell one quicker than a GTX970 for the same price, as it has a bigger potential market, and we might be seeing a few more DX12 games by then. Its also more useful for putting in a second living room pc if you upgrade down the line.

It isnt a world beater by any means, but if i was buying in that price range now, i would go for it over a GTX970 or a R9 390 etc, although probably not the reference model.

But as i said, its win-win regardless of preference, as the other cards have dropped in price as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Overclockers for example have about 8 different manufacturers listing the rx480. Firstly is there a difference between these and secondly I thought we had to wait another 2 weeks for the likes of msi, Asus, gigabyte to release their own versions?

I'm browsing on a mobile so I'm not sure if I'm getting all the propper information as regards stock levels.

Advertisement