Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mumps

Options
  • 01-06-2016 7:43am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

My fully vaccinated 2 year old has mumps. How does this happen???

Does this mean that the measles and rubella vaccinations havent worked as well? Do i need to get him re-vaccinated?

I didnt think to ask questions in the doctors yesterday as i was in shock and felt really judged by the doctor especially when she started asking about his scars, bumps and bruises (he is a big ball of energy).

I only brought him because he had a slight temp and his breath sank. turns out along with the mumps, he has a severe throat and ear infection. She gave us a letter for the hospital and instructions to bring him in if he hadnt improved within 2 hours of the first dose of steroids.

i could tell she thought i was a **** mother. She didnt believe me when i told her he had been running around the garden/creche all day and was in great form.

sorry rant over/ now to go and rant about work and sick children

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

John Mason wrote: »
    My fully vaccinated 2 year old has mumps. How does this happen???

Does this mean that the measles and rubella vaccinations havent worked as well? Do i need to get him re-vaccinated?

I didnt think to ask questions in the doctors yesterday as i was in shock and felt really judged by the doctor especially when she started asking about his scars, bumps and bruises (he is a big ball of energy).

I only brought him because he had a slight temp and his breath sank. turns out along with the mumps, he has a severe throat and ear infection. She gave us a letter for the hospital and instructions to bring him in if he hadnt improved within 2 hours of the first dose of steroids.

i could tell she thought i was a **** mother. She didnt believe me when i told her he had been running around the garden/creche all day and was in great form.

sorry rant over/ now to go and rant about work and sick children

I have nothing helpful to say, except to tell you that's an awful way to be left feeling after a trip to the gp. How ridiculous. Either that doctor has no kids, or she raises hers in a glass box! My little boy looks like he's been dragged through a ditch backwards- all the time, except immediately after a bath!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I don't know for the mumps vaccine but for measles, your child is not fully vaccinated until they get their booster shot at 5 years old. Maybe it's the same for mumps?
    Terrible attitude from the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Extremely unlikely to be mumps. Anyway if it is mumps blood tests should be done to confirm as it is a notifyable disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

What makes the doc thinks it's mumps?

Are your child cheeks puffed out?

Regarding her attitude I would frankly give a call to the practice and ask to speak to her and tell her you didn't appreciate the attitude. She won't expect you to pull her up on it and it won't happen again if you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have heard of the MMR not taking in people. A friend of mine got tested before trying for a baby and had to be re-vaccinated despite getting all her vaccines and boosters. However it was being of Rubella. Not sure if the same thing can happen with Mumps.

That GP must have never come across a child in their lives by the sounds of things. I hope she is not your regular GP, if she is I would consider switching.

Hope your little fella will be better soon.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Both sides if his neck are swollen and pumped out.

Maybe it was just working mother's guilt and I took her up wrong, also she is foreign so maybe a cultural thing. We had never met this doctor before but she was very good with the boy.

He is fast asleep beside me on the sofa but I have the house scrubber in case social services turn up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

No vaccine is 100% effective so unfortunately in your case it seems that you little boy might have been one of these 'non responders'. This is where the concept of herd immunity comes into play, that is if enough people are vaccinated, most people will be immune and the disease will die out.
    As for the GP, that's awful that you came away feeling like that.

Hope he makes a speedy recovery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Despite having my MMR I had to be re vaccinated after having my 1st.
    It is to do with herd immunity,despite having your child vaccinated he could have caught it from another child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

He wouldn't have been fully immune until his booster at junior infants. I doubt it's mumps though could just be swollen glands.

Advertisement