Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting a Wifi capable Hard drive

Options
  • 01-06-2016 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I purchased one of these after a recent Bargain Alert:
    https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Multi-Mode-Wi-Fi-Storage-888016171/dp/B00PGAT3J8?ie=UTF8&ref_=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top

basically its a 1TB Hard drive with Wifi capabilities which will allow up to 5 devices connect.
    My plan when i bought it was to hook it up to my Buffalo Linkstation NAS as attached USB storage as a backup device - then i could bring it on hols for the kids movies etc.

but...

it seems that because it is formatted in NTFS then here lies the problem.

It will need to formatted it to either XFS or EXT3 to perform a backup schedule on the Buffalo Linkstation NAS

Questions;
    If I format this to either EXT3 or XFS would I also be removing the abilities it has as a wireless device?

If I can Format to XFS or EXT3 then will the likes of iPads etc. still be able to read from it?

I realise that these question are more for Lenovo but theIr support section aint the best. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If its not offered in the Lenovos UI then there is a good chance it wont mount a different file system.

Open it, pull the drive out, image it, format it, test it, if failed recover the image - Is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

ED E wrote: »
    If its not offered in the Lenovos UI then there is a good chance it wont mount a different file system.

Open it, pull the drive out, image it, format it, test it, if failed recover the image - Is an option.

Thanks for the reply mate and you're a great source of help across multiple forums on boards.

Its probably easy enough, but i wouldn't have a clue how to create an image before an attempted format, and I am also reluctant to open up the unit.

Not ideal: but I am going to go old school and copy folders from my NAS to this device over my home LAN.
    I'm missing out on having an automated backup option but at least will have all movies etc on the device for the kids hols etc.

I have asked directly over on the Lenovo forums fingers crossed there is a way via the Lenovo GUI, or alternative, but I cant see it.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you have a desktop thats on often/most of the time then it would be relatively to automate.

Synctoy / Robocopy are relatively easy to use and will efficiently copy any new or changed files from X to Y. You simply pick the top directory on both units and tell it run every day for example, then the desktop will keep you mostly current without you having to remember.

Advertisement