Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if money wasn't an issue & you had all the time in the world?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,

must be the heat, but my mind is wandering while staring at the screen this morning so forgive me while I take this flight of fantasy :rolleyes:

if the title of the thread were to be true and you could spend X amount without the mr or mrs in your life giving you grief about how you much spending or "not another bloody bike" what you buy and what routes would you like to cycle, nationally or internationally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

I should have added that my purchase would be the Colnago C60 Tricolore (wont let me post a photo) in my opinion its gorgeous, the only change I would make to the spec is I would swap out the tyres to Conti GP's. RRP $14,499.00.

As for routes to cycle, its a cliche I know but I would love to climb Alpe D'uez and after that the dolomites!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'd go live in the South of France I reckon.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Probably buy a few Cervelos, maybe a couple of road bikes, one for TTs and another for track

Could have a cheap runaround for commuting and the like (with Di2 and Powermeter - can't have enough of them)

Then maybe have one or two spares, just in case.

A Wattbike, or maybe a Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr would help while away those winter months

Could then get some roadbikes for the kids, plus a few BMXs and something for the wife to tootle around on

Problem is I would then need somewhere to put it all

Haven't even thought about the routes I would take from the Cornish holiday home (would have to keep a bike or two there as well as at one of the indoor tracks somewhere in the world so I could drop in whenever I'm around)

Anyway, that's enough of the daydreaming, I've some work to do .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The new Wilier Zero 6 with a pair of Lightweight Millenstien wheels and I'd be off to Northern Spain to do this route http://centcolschallenge.com/routes/cantabrico
    But at my own pace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd do EV6, and see how I got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

A custom handbuilt Carbon bike and a Genesis Datum both with top end handbuilt wheels. Maybe an MTB too.
    Buy a nice yacht, head off sailing around the world - Atlantic Coast of Europe - Canaries - Caribbean - Pacific and onwards. Cycle everywhere I stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I have the bikes I want, but would love the time and money to do a load of touring. Nepal on the mountain bike, New Zealand, Whistler. Road/cross bike - Dolomites, Japan, dirt roads in the Alps, Pyrenees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

I would probably get myself this

Not sure why but try to youtube Park Tool MW-1 or click here

hang on, moving to the south of france, thats a different thread!

sorry omri, the IT nerds in here have blocked the link, what is your this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Money no issue? I'd have greater ambitions than owning a bunch of plastic bikes and going on the occasional holiday, that's for sure.

I'd start by buying myself a UCI WorldTour team.

During the summer I'd drive the team car while shouting abuse at my under-performing star riders.

In the off-season I'd amuse myself by trolling the world through the medium of Twitter from the comfort of my undersea lair.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'd buy boards and make it like it used to be!

I'd travel the world by bike, no specific challenge, just cycling around to amazing locations, staying in top notch hotels and eating/drinking the local's finest.

I'd also pay for some of my friends to come with me. I'd build their stone walls or whatever crazy schemes they would use as an excuse not to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Lumen wrote: »
    Money no issue? I'd have greater ambitions than owning a bunch of plastic bikes and going on the occasional holiday, that's for sure.

During the summer I'd drive the team car while shouting abuse at my under-performing star riders.

In the off-season I'd amuse myself by trolling the world through the medium of Twitter from the comfort of my undersea lair.

Oleg, how're you getting on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oleg, how're you getting on
    No, but I'd give him a job. He'd be responsible for grooming my monkey-butler.

edit: w.r.t bicycles I'd buy a Colnago Master X-Light in red, but would fear disappointment. It'd have to be ridden on tubs, obvs.

Lumen wrote: »

someone has been giving this some thought, do you have an undersea lair already?

white cat for stroking not incuded!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Have no idea what bike i'd buy but it would be light and comfortable with Di2 most likely.

I'd love to cycle from Cairns to Melbourne via the blue mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

"If money wasn't an issue & you had all the time in the world?"

Id buy a car ;-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Fes bikes the German track team ride are super sexy, the pursuit one in particular. I'd get me one of those for pursuiting, a Koga for bunch races and training. I would build an indoor velodrome in Ireland as soon as possible, and attempt to try a velodrome in every country there is one.
    Road bike wise I don't really know, Wilier's are pretty sexy maybe a Zero 6. A MTB, CX bike, Caad10 winter trainer, a felt F1 to race. I'd have current track bike as a town bike/commuter.
    Have actually nice, decent kit to ride in that's super colourful. Have no black or white socks, only extremely colourful short ones. And super colourful kit. And two of everything in the club kit. And, and, and!

Cycling has ruined my de-materialism :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon i'd go for a woodelo.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Cipollini RB1000 with SRAM wireless and lightweight wheels.

I'd love to cycle the Dolomites, Hawaii and Malaysia.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Something from Field cycles probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Check out the images of beauty thread... I'd buy one (maybe two) of each! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The bike wouldnt bother me one bit, but I'd love to spend months in France and Italy cycling all the iconic routes.
    Life is about experiences, not stuff!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Itd be a Wilier of some sort I'd be pretty sure, but if I could afford to I'd ideally just be off in sunny climes on any of the bikes I have now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Beasty wrote: »
    Probably buy a few Cervelos, maybe a couple of road bikes, one for TTs and another for track

Could have a cheap runaround for commuting and the like (with Di2 and Powermeter - can't have enough of them)

Then maybe have one or two spares, just in case.

A Wattbike, or maybe a Tacx Neo or Wahoo Kickr would help while away those winter months

Could then get some roadbikes for the kids, plus a few BMXs and something for the wife to tootle around on

Problem is I would then need somewhere to put it all

Haven't even thought about the routes I would take from the Cornish holiday home (would have to keep a bike or two there as well as at one of the indoor tracks somewhere in the world so I could drop in whenever I'm around)

Anyway, that's enough of the daydreaming, I've some work to do .....

Sounds like if I robbed Beasty's "imaginary" gaff and quit my job I'd be most of the way to Utopia ;) If only he was a 54cm Frame instead of a 56cm?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Inquitus wrote: »
    Sounds like if I robbed Beasty's "imaginary" gaff and quit my job I'd be most of the way to Utopia ;) If only he was a 54cm Frame instead of a 56cm?
    Still a 58, although 56 for TTs. Need to start planning dropping a size as age takes it's toll.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

Replica of Pantani's 1998 Bianchi. Except with a compact and not his 53-44.
    Then I'd cycle the full Tour a few hours ahead of the pros with Tinkov, Greg Lemond, Roche and Kelly. Of course we would have a support car and a pacemaker/super domestique like Jens or maybe Jalabert for the laugh. Oh and I would drink champagne each evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I'd pay a man to move the Alpe d'Huez, Luz Ardiden, the Stelvio and a few others to the Dingle peninsula.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    "If money wasn't an issue & you had all the time in the world?"

Id buy a car ;-)
    Roadhawk, now you are spoiling it, get a bike or an underwater lair or a monkey butler, dont buy a car!

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    The bike wouldnt bother me one bit, but I'd love to spend months in France and Italy cycling all the iconic routes.
    Life is about experiences, not stuff!
    morning terrydel, you are correct in so far as life & stuff, but its not as though very many of us on here are going to become millionaires overnite, its just a bit of "what if" to pass a few hours on a workday.

Advertisement