Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

i tried both 003538? and +3538? and neither worked for me, had no luck from CS either, all he suggested at the time was I needed to top up as texts werent included in the roaming, which was totally not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rainbowmoose

New customer, just switched but when purchasing the bundle the LYCA20 Code isn't working. It's coming up as invalid but still being advertised all over the website. Any idea why this isn't working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

If you ordered a sim and then registered before purchasing a bundle they consider you a existing customer so the lyca20 code wont work,lyca10 should work for 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

I see the data has been bumped upto 30GB now.

ocpZHmb.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I find it extremely difficult to use 10gb free data per month. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

I see on the offer page about the 10GB free data that "The Offer is valid from 18/08/2016 to 31/10/2016"

The offer has been extended once again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

That's the thing that puts me off moving to them . The fact it's only on for a month or so . With Tesco at least the deal I have doesn't expire

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

castle2012 wrote: »
    That's the thing that puts me off moving to them . The fact it's only on for a month or so . With Tesco at least the deal I have doesn't expire

They extend every single month, these extensions can go on for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

I accidentally purchased today two 5E top-ups and now I have 20G of data - so if you need more data it makes sense to make many smaller top-ups.

September1 wrote: »
    I accidentally purchased today two 5E top-ups and now I have 20G of data - so if you need more data it makes sense to make many smaller top-ups.

Didn't know it worked that way! Cheers for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Hi guys,

Can someone confirm if the unlimited national calls included in this €15 package includes calls to all other mobile networks as well as landlines?

I find Lyca's bundle information hard to understand.

Hi guys,

Can someone confirm if the unlimited national calls included in this €15 package includes calls to all other mobile networks as well as landlines?

I find Lyca's bundle information hard to understand.

Yes it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Switched from three billpay a month ago..

€5 top up

Given a €1 bonus for top up and €2 bonus because I ported my number across

And 10GB of Data

And I'm finding zero real difference between the relative levels of service between the two despite Lyca being a virtual operator on Three limited to the 3G network and Three offering '4G'. Zero.

Outrageous value.

Hi all,

One more question ref this deal.

What's the best option for using the SIM in EU countries to make and receive calls as well as use local mobile data? I switched a family member to this deal earlier in the summer and they bought the €10 Europe Plus international bundle thinking it would allow them to make and receive calls in France but it only permits the user to make calls from Ireland to European numbers :o

Are there any roaming packages I can buy in advance of a trip to Europe? I really can't figure out all the bundles on offer, they are so confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

The nephew is on them and he sent me this, is this ruffly what speeds people get?

2chkjk7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

jeffk wrote: »
    The nephew is on them and he sent me this, is this ruffly what speeds people get?

2chkjk7.jpg

Yep pretty much,get that at home, and about 7Mbps when out and about

wiz569 wrote: »
    Yep pretty much,get that at home, and about 7Mbps when out and about

Thanks, that's my mind made up, BK was right not its for heavy internet users(from time to time I upload a lot of pictures/videos to cloud when im out).

Its a great deal otherwise :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

2chkjk7.jpg

That's my speed test, it's perfect perfect for web browsing and Spotify and the likes anything else you need better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭September1

stevek93 wrote: »
    That's my speed test, it's perfect perfect for web browsing and Spotify and the likes anything else you need better speeds.

I did watch movie or two on Netflix and it was fast enough to get decent HD quality with Lyca.

The upload speed is the main issue id have.

Virgin mobile on 3G, madness when they are using the same network

msy6hf.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭stevek93

September1 wrote: »
    I did watch movie or two on Netflix and it was fast enough to get decent HD quality with Lyca.

Strange I couldn't get 480p on YouTube earlier. Maybe it was because I was travelling.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The upload speed is the main issue id have.

Virgin mobile on 3G, madness when they are using the same network

They aren't on the same network.

Lyca/Tesco/48 are all on the old o2 network still.

Virgin and ID Mobile are on Three's 3G and 4G network.

Three now owns o2 and they are integrating the networks, but it still isn't complete. Eventually Lyca/Tesco/48 will also end up on the Three 4G network too. It was actually rumoured to happen very soon, but who knows.

IME Lyca/Tesco/48 are fine for whatsapp/imessage/email/music streaming (spotify, internet radio)/pokemon go/facebook/surfing. Basic internet stuff.

You can do some video streaming too (youtube/netflix, etc.) but it can be a little bit variable and rough at times. Fine if you are doing it the odd time, but not if you want to use it for commuting every day and certainly not as a replacement for a decent wired broadband connection at home.

It isn't for everyone, but for €5 per month, if it suits you, then I think it is incredible value for money.

How come then ID is crap and virgin isn't if they use the same network?

How come then ID is crap and virgin isn't if they use the same network?

While they use the same network of masts, at a certain point the voice and data traffic gets handed off from the Three network to ID's and Virgins own networks and through their own servers, switches and out onto their own international backhaul.

At this level they can be different. It is possible that ID simply haven't bought fast enough or enough switches/servers/backhaul, etc. or have other issues at this level.

It isn't surprising that Virgin have a good network, as after all they are the largest ISP in europe, with massive amounts of their own international fibre networks and very large data centers, noc's, etc. By comparison ID are a very small operation, even including the UK.

Actually given that Virgin have an extensive fibre network of their own in Ireland. It is also possible that they are directly connecting to Three masts and taking their traffic directly off the masts and onto their own network * While ID are probably paying for and sharing Three's backhaul and taking the traffic off it in Dublin.

* I believe three actually use a lot of Virgins backhaul fibre network to actually connect to their masts and carry their traffic.

Overall Virgin are a much more serious operator then ID. ID's only advantage is their network of shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hey guys,
    My moter is on tesco mobile with her Vodafone su6.

Last year on holiday she got fleeced with the roaming charges,
    I decided to contact Lyco and got her a sim to use on Holiday.
    I got the €9 national package as recommended by the lyco rep.
    This gives 450 minutes and 450 texts.
    Well she arrived in Spain the other day and can only text. Phone wont make calls.
    Is there something she can do?
    I have tried and tried to get in touch with the Lyco reps on facebook messenger wher I had no problem contacting them to buy the package. But now it seems like an empty house.
    I also tried to ring customer support, Got fed up of hanging on with no reply.

Is there anything she can do?

vectra wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    My moter is on tesco mobile with her Vodafone su6.

Last year on holiday she got fleeced with the roaming charges,
    I decided to contact Lyco and got her a sim to use on Holiday.
    I got the €9 national package as recommended by the lyco rep.
    This gives 450 minutes and 450 texts.
    Well she arrived in Spain the other day and can only text. Phone wont make calls.
    Is there something she can do?
    I have tried and tried to get in touch with the Lyco reps on facebook messenger wher I had no problem contacting them to buy the package. But now it seems like an empty house.
    I also tried to ring customer support, Got fed up of hanging on with no reply.

Is there anything she can do?
    I'm open to correction on this but if you look here the €9 bundle isn't included for free roaming

NATLOR wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but if you look here the €9 bundle isn't included for free roaming

You could be right.
    But that was the one the rep suggested and I specified the purpose of it.

You could be right.
    But that was the one the rep suggested and I specified the purpose of it.

I wouldn't trust those guys, their customer service is shocking! but just in case is she connected to the correct network for roaming? I think Spain is Moviestar

Hi all,

One more question ref this deal.

What's the best option for using the SIM in EU countries to make and receive calls as well as use local mobile data? I switched a family member to this deal earlier in the summer and they bought the €10 Europe Plus international bundle thinking it would allow them to make and receive calls in France but it only permits the user to make calls from Ireland to European numbers :o

Are there any roaming packages I can buy in advance of a trip to Europe? I really can't figure out all the bundles on offer, they are so confusing.

I guess Vectra's Mum is experiencing the same issue I had back in the summer. The "International" bundle only gives you a package of minutes for calling Europe from within Ireland, it has nothing to do whatsoever with the ability to make and receive calls whilst roaming.

Given I didn't get an answer to my post above I assume no one here knows how to roam or how to buy a roaming package on Lyca?

• Advertisement

Got on to customer care.
    Rep said the following
    turn off the phone
    remove simcard
    leave for 10 minutes
    replace sim and turn on the phone

Sounds like something simple for a non tech 81 year old woman :(
    Pity they didnt tell me this before I went with them.

Got on to customer care.
    Rep said the following
    turn off the phone
    remove simcard
    leave for 10 minutes
    replace sim and turn on the phone

Sounds like something simple for a non tech 81 year old woman :(
    Pity they didnt tell me this before I went with them.

^^ What was this reboot process supposed to achieve? Roaming on a Spanish network? Did it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭mossy464

Was in Denmark at the weekend and roaming worked perfectly.

Looking into roaming in China as my mother is travelling there. The Asia Plus or Asia plans seem to be best if I was to get her a sim card. Anyone have much experience of using Lyca in China?

^^ What was this reboot process supposed to achieve? Roaming on a Spanish network? Did it work?

I think thats what the rep was "hoping for"
    I have no idea if it worked or not becuase she wouldnt have a clue how to take the sim out and back in again.
    She would have to get someone to do it.

mossy464 wrote: »
    Looking into roaming in China as my mother is travelling there. The Asia Plus or Asia plans seem to be best if I was to get her a sim card. Anyone have much experience of using Lyca in China?

The Asia plans are NOT roaming plans. They would be useless in Asia. These plans are designed for people from Asia who are living in Ireland and want to call people back in Asia.

Same with all the "international plans". These plans are for calling other countries, they aren't roaming plans.

Lyca was great value for money but I'm back with Three now whose 4G is plenty fast where I live.

Have a OnePlus 3 on the way too too which is 4G+ compatible so I'm interested to see what speeds are like on that.

I was essentially getting 10GB of data for €2 with Lyca when you factor in the €1 top up bonus and €2 porting bonus. Crázy value!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NikoTopps wrote: »
    Lyca was great value for money but I'm back with Three now whose 4G is plenty fast where I live.

Have a OnePlus 3 on the way too too which is 4G+ compatible so I'm interested to see what speeds are like on that.

I was essentially getting 10GB of data for €2 with Lyca when you factor in the €1 top up bonus and €2 porting bonus. Crázy value!

I wonder if you just topped up by €1 would you still get the bonuses and 10G data

Effectively paying you to use their network

bk wrote: »
    The Asia plans are NOT roaming plans. They would be useless in Asia. These plans are designed for people from Asia who are living in Ireland and want to call people back in Asia.

Same with all the "international plans". These plans are for calling other countries, they aren't roaming plans.

It seems to me that roaming simply doesn't exist if you are a Lycamobile customer which seems strange.

I called their (un)help desk and the guy there said if I wanted to roam in Spain I needed to wait until I got to Spain then log onto https://account.lycamobile.es/login.aspx?lang=en and purchase a national bundle in Spain but that just doesn't make sense. I tried logging into the Spanish site but of course it doesn't recognise my Irish mobile number and password, why would it?

I also sent an email to their helpdesk hoping to get a more thought through response but I won't hold my breath.

OK
    My mother just managed to ring me. She said she spoke with a young couple from Dublin she met and they had a look for her. They told her she needed the 353 prefix on all number if she wants to ring them. She did this and rang me no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

This is the case with all networks I think and is the reason I save every new contact I put in my phone with +353 in front.

I'm actually surprised she was able to text?

cormie wrote: »
    This is the case with all networks I think and is the reason I save every new contact I put in my phone with +353 in front.

I'm actually surprised she was able to text?

Exactly.
    I could text her and she could text me.
    Strange

• Advertisement

If you text her first and she replied, then this would be why, same way if she gets a phone call, it'll show as +353.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I wonder if you just topped up by €1 would you still get the bonuses and 10G data

Effectively paying you to use their network

I don't think so because didn't they say €5 was the minimum top up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

can anyone of ye divert phone calls to another irish number?
    i cant. was reading t&c , and section about forwarding bit unclear to me, sounds like cant do call diverts at all.

If you text her first and she replied, then this would be why, same way if she gets a phone call, it'll show as +353.

That must be it.
    Though I rang her as well and she tried to ring me back with no joy until today
    Dunno. Seems fine for her now anyway.

I know my own mam knows all our numbers off by heart and just types in the number each time :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I know my own mam knows all our numbers off by heart and just types in the number each time :P

But does she know the +3538nNNNNNNN technique? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Shpongler

My €15 plan ran out yesterday morning and I was still able to use text messaging on whatsapp for the day with no plan or credit.
    No other data services worked though. It was handy as I was unable to top up until later that day. Anyone else notice this?

Regarding the bonus credit lyca give you for topping up online, and for porting over your number, this credit cannot be used to part purchase any bundles. My wife's phone had €21 credit on it last week and I tried to renew her €15 plan but it kept failing for me. I ended up calling them up only to be informed that she actually had just over €12 credit and the balance was bonus credit.

So I ended up getting her the €9 plan which gave her 300 mins and texts and 11gb of data, 1gb with the €9 plan and 10gb for the top up of €10 before I tried to renew her plan.

I think I will just let her credit run down after this month and then manually put through the €15 plan with the 10% promo code as long as that still works in future.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Regarding the bonus credit lyca give you for topping up online, and for porting over your number, this credit cannot be used to part purchase any bundles. My wife's phone had €21 credit on it last week and I tried to renew her €15 plan but it kept failing for me. I ended up calling them up only to be informed that she actually had just over €12 credit and the balance was bonus credit.

That is correct, when I do *131# to check my balance, it says: "Your main balance is X and promotional balance is Y"

So obviously they separate them out, which is fair enough IMO. Specially as I've found they deduct from the promo balance first before the main balance when you make out of bundle calls/texts.

bk wrote: »
    That is correct, when I do *131# to check my balance, it says: "Your main balance is X and promotional balance is Y"

So obviously they separate them out, which is fair enough IMO. Specially as I've found they deduct from the promo balance first before the main balance when you make out of bundle calls/texts.

Ah very good, I had never used the *131# method, just checked it there now thou and your spot on. They should really separate both balances online also. I agree that they are right to do it as in fairness it's free credit they are giving us, if was the. It knowing the differences in both balances was what I had the issue with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement