Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

Hi all,

One more question ref this deal.

What's the best option for using the SIM in EU countries to make and receive calls as well as use local mobile data? I switched a family member to this deal earlier in the summer and they bought the €10 Europe Plus international bundle thinking it would allow them to make and receive calls in France but it only permits the user to make calls from Ireland to European numbers :o

Are there any roaming packages I can buy in advance of a trip to Europe? I really can't figure out all the bundles on offer, they are so confusing.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card shows the three bundles that have free eu roaming

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ah very good, I had never used the *131# method, just checked it there now thou and your spot on. They should really separate both balances online also. I agree that they are right to do it as in fairness it's free credit they are giving us, if was the. It knowing the differences in both balances was what I had the issue with.

I agree with you. Lyca IMO are fantastic value for money, however they have way too many different plans * and it can be extremely confusing what is and isn't included in each plan.

It is a very scatter gun approach and requires too much work from customers to figure out what they are and are not getting.

And as you have discovered, the account information displayed online is very confusing and less complete then what you get by checking with the short codes!

* I'm not saying that they should go as simple as Tesco with their just one plan. Some people do like the variety of options and in particular the "international plans" are very useful for instance for people originally from Poland, Asia, etc. But they should definitely make it clearer what is and isn't included in each plan and what they are for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭flintash

I was wrong. It worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

NikoTopps wrote: »
    I don't think so because didn't they say €5 was the minimum top up?

Did they? Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

maurice1 wrote: »
    http://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-sim-card shows the three bundles that have free eu roaming

That implies the €15 national bundle gives you free roaming in France/Spain etc???

Proper confused.com now :confused:

I guess we'll find out soon enough when we turn our phones on in Spain!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭wiz569

That implies the €15 national bundle gives you free roaming in France/Spain etc???

It should do but remember it wont give you data coverage

wiz569 wrote: »
    It should do but remember it wont give you data coverage

Really? I thought this was an early implementation of the soon to be enforced EU rule that you are free to use your bundle (calls and data) throughout the EU without incurring any roaming charges.

If you're right and the "free roaming" offer is limited to just calls do you know if it's possible to buy some local Spanish data for use when there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

This bundle does allow you to roam in the specified countries.You can make or receive calls and texts to any number that are included in the bundle plan i.e Irish mobile/landlines and as mentioned above it doesn't include any data usage.
    For this to work you need to be connected to the Lyca network in whatever country you are in e.g Portugal is Vodafone,Spain is Movistar (I think)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Really? I thought this was an early implementation of the soon to be enforced EU rule that you are free to use your bundle (calls and data) throughout the EU without incurring any roaming charges.

It isn't seems to be just a deal they are doing. BTW the EU is still arguing about what the free roaming rule will actually look like. Details haven't been set yet.
    If you're right and the "free roaming" offer is limited to just calls do you know if it's possible to buy some local Spanish data for use when there?

Yes, €12 for 1GB:

PDF, page 2, http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    It isn't seems to be just a deal they are doing. BTW the EU is still arguing about what the free roaming rule will actually look like. Details haven't been set yet.

Yes, €12 for 1GB:

PDF, page 2, http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

Thanks very much BK, fair play to you for being able to first of all find and second of all decipher Lycamobile's pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Is there anyway to set your account so they'll text you a reminder when your bundle is about to expire?

I've been caught several times now where my bundle expires without me realising it and I start eating into my credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

Is there anyway to set your account so they'll text you a reminder when your bundle is about to expire?

I've been caught several times now where my bundle expires without me realising it and I start eating into my credit.

Just set a reminder on your phone's calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Just set a reminder on your phone's calendar.

Realised I should just do that the second I posted...Doh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 431 ✭✭Killergreene

is this the best deal out there guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Hi all.New to LYCA.Does anyone know are Canary Islands are consider as Spain for roaming?What about internet abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hi all.New to LYCA.Does anyone know are Canary Islands are consider as Spain for roaming?What about internet abroad?

Canaries are considered Spain, it worked grand for me there. Don't know about the internet, didn't use it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Anyone having issues with texts not being delivered to certain networks, my wife just got a text for one of the other mothers from our daughters class asking if our daughter was attending her daughters party over the weekend, the thing is though, my wife text her on Wednesday, my wife just sent her two more texts now, and after no reply, she sent her a screenshot of the three messages on whatsapp. She just replied saying she never received any of those messages at all. We have no idea what network she is on unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Anyone having issues with texts not being delivered to certain networks, my wife just got a text for one of the other mothers from our daughters class asking if our daughter was attending her daughters party over the weekend, the thing is though, my wife text her on Wednesday, my wife just sent her two more texts now, and after no reply, she sent her a screenshot of the three messages on whatsapp. She just replied saying she never received any of those messages at all. We have no idea what network she is on unfortunately.

This was one of my problems with Lyca and was why I left them years ago. At the time it was Meteor you couldn't text and most of my family were on Meteor.
    I raised this earlier on this thread and the idea was derided by some of the staunch Lyca supporters but it appears little has changed. CS was probably the other big problem, all promises no action.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    This was one of my problems with Lyca and was why I left them years ago. At the time it was Meteor you couldn't text and most of my family were on Meteor.
    I raised this earlier on this thread and the idea was derided by some of the staunch Lyca supporters but it appears little has changed. CS was probably the other big problem, all promises no action.

Well to be honest I'm not entirely convinced it's a lyca problem, my wife and two of our kids are on lyca a few months now and this is the first time that this has happened that we know about. My wife did get a text after last night from that child's mother again saying that she has been having issues with her phone and it could be at her end. I only asked her as I wanted to see if others had experienced something similar.

Oh and I myself am on meteor and I've never had any issues receiving texts from my wife or kids.

with the roaming if say I'm on the ireland plus plan which has the free roaming and I'm in the UK can I make a call to a UK number and it's free with the free roaming or is it only calls to Irish numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

The bonus data offer has been extended once again until the 30th of this month. Lyca really like keeping this deal around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Get In There

NikoTopps wrote: »
    The bonus data offer has been extended once again until the 30th of this month. Lyca really like keeping this deal around!

Loving that deal. I'd be topping up 5e to get the bonus data. Use the balance to purchase text bundle for 4e. Don't need calls as I'm deaf so 4e for 10gb and 500 texts which is way more than enough as most people are on Whatsapp anyway.

Long may the bonus data offer continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Entonces

Having issue where text messages loop repeatedly to a number. Happened first after changing over. Messages would deliver to recipient several times and at all sorts of inconvenient hours. I logged it with tech support and was resolved. But happened again last night. Really the timing and content of the message couldn't have been looping at a worse time.
    Other than that and the slightly slow internet I'm very happy with the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Hi all,

I've tried several times to read through this thread and make sense of it all, but I'll have to concede defeat at this stage! :(

Sorry to be a pain (as this ground has probably been covered loads of times before), but I suppose the main thing I am looking for is feedback from actual customers using it:

- how do you find the service in general and would you recommend it?
    - what network is on?
    - what's the coverage like (especially outside Dublin/urban areas)?
    - I've read that there is no 4G, that's fair enough I can live without it. My main data usage would be radio streaming, Spotify and some YouTube, video streaming. Would the speeds be able to manage this reliably?
    - where's the best place to sign up, online or via a shop?
    - I can't make head nor tails of those plans though!! :o What's the best value for money or the one that works best for most of you?
    - what are the main pros and cons?
    - finally, what are the main things that I should know before making a final decision (any tips, things to avoid etc.)?

I know that there is a lot of questions there, but if anyone has any feedback on the above, I'd be very grateful! Thanks! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

BandMember wrote: »
    Hi all,...
    Thanks! :D
    You really are negligent for not reading the thread.
    But what the heck.
    Fine. 3. Fine. Yes. Online. Ireland+ or €5pm. Pros+-Cons. Live life.

snubbleste wrote: »
    You really are negligent for not reading the thread.
    But what the heck.
    Fine. 3. Fine. Yes. Online. Ireland+ or €5pm. Pros+-Cons. Live life.

I know, apologies! I did try, but it just kept getting longer and longer while I just kept getting more and more lost/confused.... :o Thanks for your reply though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Entonces

Hi all,

I've tried several times to read through this thread and make sense of it all, but I'll have to concede defeat at this stage! :(

Sorry to be a pain (as this ground has probably been covered loads of times before), but I suppose the main thing I am looking for is feedback from actual customers using it:

- how do you find the service in general and would you recommend it?
    - what network is on?
    - what's the coverage like (especially outside Dublin/urban areas)?
    - I've read that there is no 4G, that's fair enough I can live without it. My main data usage would be radio streaming, Spotify and some YouTube, video streaming. Would the speeds be able to manage this reliably?
    - where's the best place to sign up, online or via a shop?
    - I can't make head nor tails of those plans though!! :o What's the best value for money or the one that works best for most of you?
    - what are the main pros and cons?
    - finally, what are the main things that I should know before making a final decision (any tips, things to avoid etc.)?

I know that there is a lot of questions there, but if anyone has any feedback on the above, I'd be very grateful! Thanks! :D

I've been using lycamobile for 4 months now and I would recommend it. Service is fine I'm in limerick county and no problems at all worth coverage.
    Not sure what network is on but I read on here somewhere it's the old o2 network.
    No 4g coverage but I can live with 3g. I just did a speed test and hit 1.5 MB DOWN, 1.4 MB UP AND PING 87. So should be no bother for radio. Videos buffer a bit but it's absolutely acceptable speed most of the time.
    Im on all calls texts and 20gb data for 15e. It's an amazing deal and beats the lugs off anything else on market.
    Changing was mostly hassle free I've just had issue with looping texts twice. I use Twitter PM for customer care and they are nice, respond quickly and have dealt with issues.
    I recommend you give it a go. A sim is free i think so get one online and check coverage.It's only e15 a month for allphone usage and if your not happy you can always change again. No worries for those with abject fear of commitment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

Agree with all of above. For 9 euro I get 450 mins and 450 texts and get the data free at the moment just by topping up. Can't go wrong really at that price. Where I live reception with Lycamobile is much better than my previous operators meteor and three. Speeds are average 5mb/s so enough to run YouTube etc

Entonces wrote: »
    I've been using lycamobile for 4 months now and I would recommend it. Service is fine I'm in limerick county and no problems at all worth coverage.
    Not sure what network is on but I read on here somewhere it's the old o2 network.
    No 4g coverage but I can live with 3g. I just did a speed test and hit 1.5 MB DOWN, 1.4 MB UP AND PING 87. So should be no bother for radio. Videos buffer a bit but it's absolutely acceptable speed most of the time.
    Im on all calls texts and 20gb data for 15e. It's an amazing deal and beats the lugs off anything else on market.
    Changing was mostly hassle free I've just had issue with looping texts twice. I use Twitter PM for customer care and they are nice, respond quickly and have dealt with issues.
    I recommend you give it a go. A sim is free i think so get one online and check coverage.It's only e15 a month for allphone usage and if your not happy you can always change again. No worries for those with abject fear of commitment

Fantastic reply and covers everything I wanted to know - thanks so much! :D

I'm gonna go give my notice on my contract phone now, want to keep my same number though so will have to sort that out... I think I will go with the Ireland Plus plan that's on offer at the moment for €15 a month, seems great value to be honest!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭Conar

Fantastic reply and covers everything I wanted to know - thanks so much! :D

I'm gonna go give my notice on my contract phone now, want to keep my same number though so will have to sort that out... I think I will go with the Ireland Plus plan that's on offer at the moment for €15 a month, seems great value to be honest!! :)

Just thought I'd muddy the water for you.
    I'm In Ennis and had 3 lyca sims (myself and 2 kids) and left after a couple of months.
    Often people were telling me they were getting a tone indicating the number doesn't exist when calling me and I noticed the same when calling my kids.
    This happened in Dublin too and once I had full signal and was browsing the web while in my car waiting to pick up bridesmaids for wedding. All of a sudden I had 3 texts detailing missed calls from 3 different numbers and the bridesmaids had been trying to call me for 5 minutes.
    Internet was also the worst of any operator I've used (ID, 48, Meteor, Eir, and Three).
    They seem to route all heit internet traffic through the UK too and loads of my accounts kept thinking I'd been compromised as I'd access from Ireland one second (WiFi) then England next second (3g as I leave the house). Run a speedtest and it gets best speeds if you pick UK servers.

Anyway, just food for thought I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

Can you webtext on a 5 euro data only plan?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

MrDiyFan wrote: »
    Can you webtext on a 5 euro data only plan?

Thanks

Lyca don't do webtexts.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Lyca don't do webtexts.

Aw man....... :( I use webtexts all the time! I hate typing out texts on the phone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Aw man....... :( I use webtexts all the time! I hate typing out texts on the phone...

Why not just use an app like pushbullet or mightytext to send your sms from your pc?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Why not just use an app like pushbullet or mightytext to send your sms from your pc?

Never heard of them to be honest! I'll have to investigate... Thanks for the heads up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 MyPeopleNeedMe

I've been using Lycamobile for 4 years now and I would not recommend it to anyone.

So why am I still using it? Well most of my friends have it, so free calls and texts between us.

Here are some cons to consider:

- Loses coverage quite often when I travel outside of Dublin
    - Doesn't deliver your texts. Yep, had this happen many times - in your app the text will be marked as 'delivered', but it will never reach the recipient.
    - Sometimes the number just can't be reached, which other people already mentioned in this thread.

So if you're not a save-every-penny type of person, I'd recommend you stay away. I know I'll be leaving them soon enough and never looking back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MrDiyFan

How does mightytext work?
    It's different to webtext I take it?

I'm sorry but if a network was that bad you wouldn't stay with them for 4 years. I had 2 staff idmobile sims when they launched last year, everything unlimited including 4G for €15 a month, I ran from them after giving them the benefit of south for 3 months, disaster of a network. Currently my wife and two of my kids have lyca sims, all been using them since June and I don't recall them having many issues at all. We are in Waterford and I can honestly say the network is very stable down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

I've been using Lycamobile for 4 years now and I would not recommend it to anyone.

So why am I still using it? Well most of my friends have it, so free calls and texts between us.

- Doesn't deliver your texts. Yep, had this happen many times - in your app the text will be marked as 'delivered', but it will never reach the recipient.
    - Sometimes the number just can't be reached, which other people already mentioned in this thread.

So if you're not a save-every-penny type of person, I'd recommend you stay away. I know I'll be leaving them soon enough and never looking back.

Why would you use them for 4 years?! Nearly all providers offer free any network texts and calls. If they are that bad you all should have switched years ago :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭maurice1

I had issues with them before, but did a SIM swap, one of the few things that Customer service know how to do and it has been better ever since.

The data speeds on lycamobile I find to be a joke.
    I got it for my mum who uses it primarily for calls on the Ireland plus package but seeing speeds of .1 mbit /sec.
    Horrifically bad -> unusable.

glasso wrote: »
    The data speeds on lycamobile I find to be a joke.
    I got it for my mum who uses it primarily for calls on the Ireland plus package but seeing speeds of .1 mbit /sec.
    Horrifically bad -> unusable.

Where are you? I more or less get a minimum of 10mb D/L and 1MB U/L in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

If lyca are on the 3 network would it be safe to assume if a 3 mobile works great in your area then the lyca will? Or am I being very naive?

If lyca are on the 3 network would it be safe to assume if a 3 mobile works great in your area then the lyca will? Or am I being very naive?

calls yes.
    texts should (although it seems that lyca have issues with texts not being delivered sometimes, even though a delivery report is issued).
    data runs on a system where lyca routes its traffic through the mobile network and then to London where it's core system is finally and out to the internet backbone (different to what you'd have on 3).
    there also may be throttling and prioritisation (lyca lower priority) going on with lyca data on the three network.

Where are you? I more or less get a minimum of 10mb D/L and 1MB U/L in Dublin.

midlands.
    no problem with three there which lyca runs on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Lyca are on the legacy o2 network (as are Tesco & 48)so do not have equivalent coverage to 3.

Lyca are on the legacy o2 network (as are Tesco & 48)so do not have equivalent coverage to 3.

Well I have the new sim so I'll just top up by €15 on Christmas morning for her and see how it goes, if she finds it cr*p, I'll just get another network, no harm done. Thanks for the info guys.

Well I have the new sim so I'll just top up by €15 on Christmas morning for her and see how it goes, if she finds it cr*p, I'll just get another network, no harm done. Thanks for the info guys.

for the ireland plus package you have to top by 15 then buy the package also (through the website easiest).

Is that not why you need to have Data Roaming turned on when using Lyca so you can technically "Roam" on the Three network when the legacy o2 network isn't available?

glasso wrote:
    for the ireland plus package you have to top by 15 then buy the package also (through the website easiest).

So in other words I have to top up by €30. It doesn't say that on the ad I seen. Is the initial €15 a once off? Seems odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement