Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

€15 - 20GB + Unlimited any network calls and texts + free roaming - Lycamobile

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

I thought it was illegal not to though.

It is. Lyca customers should complain to Comreg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

Some of the newer offers in the last year or so describe data as a benefit and not a core part of the offering/ contract. That's is how they are trying to get away with. Many have been luring customers to these new terms/contracts with things like double data offers etc. Nothing is for free at the end of the day. The EU commission and comreg may have a different interpretation once the new rules come into force but that is what many of the cheaper companies are doing.
    Companies like Vodafone are going to give full data on roaming so I know where I will be going if Tesco don't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

No 4g. False advertising. Got this from customer service. Dear Physio man,

Thank you for your email.

Further to your email, we are sorry to inform that currently we do not support 4G services in Lycamobile and we will incorporate the same in near future.

Feel free to contact us if you have any clarifications or assistance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

physioman wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting?

Just 3G, 7 Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

physioman wrote: »
    No 4g. False advertising. Got this from customer service. Dear Physio man,

Thank you for your email.

Further to your email, we are sorry to inform that currently we do not support 4G services in Lycamobile and we will incorporate the same in near future.

Feel free to contact us if you have any clarifications or assistance

I was never under any impression when joining Lyca that there was 4G. Where was that advertised?

lawred2 wrote: »
    I was never under any impression when joining Lyca that there was 4G. Where was that advertised?

Another user posted a link a few days ago:
    castle2012 wrote: »

But as has been discussed previously, seems to be bogus.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

Receipent Service Provider code is not available, please check the Config. got this message after i filled in portin request, anyone know what causes this thanks.

mower wrote: »
    Receipent Service Provider code is not available, please check the Config. got this message after i filled in portin request, anyone know what causes this thanks.

I was on Tesco Mobile bill pay and couldn't get the port in to work. Kept getting various replies like that "Service Provider not available", "Account number mismatch".

In the end I just told Tesco to switch me to prepay and the port in went through no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jennifer Eccles

I signed up to Lycamobile last month,
    I've only just discovered the following through usage

1) they don't have 4G connectivity. Doesn't both me much as I don't use the phone much for internet connectivity.

2) they don't have MMS settings - in fact, after putting in the Lyca SIM it seems that the option too turn on or off MMS (I've an iPhone 6s) in Settings>Messages is gone - missing - not there.... Or trying the route of settings>mobile data> mobile data options > mobile data network, in order to put in the MMS settings, I can't find on the internet any details about the MMS settings...
    So now, if I want to send a photo to someone who doesn't have an iPhone, I have to send it by mail or by WhatsApp.....

3) they don't allow tethering

I think I'll soon be opting for a more expensive but more comprehensive mobile network provider......

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jennifer Eccles

it seems that by using their SIM, it removes the Personal Hotspot button/option from the iPhone completely. ( I'm using an iPhone6s)

• Advertisement

who uses MMS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭rustledjimmies

who uses MMS?

Not Lycamobile or Virgin Mobile anyway. It's a common cost cutting step many MVNOs do. Helps keep the cost down and MMS is only ****e anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Can anyone tell me if you can still buy the data roaming. Will need to buy for this week so before June 15th.

http://www.lycamobile.ie/sysimages/editorfiles/Home_April_2015_IE1.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

biebiebie wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if you can still buy the data roaming. Will need to buy for this week so before June 15th.

I contacted them on Facebook and hector from Lyca came back to me and said quote : we have no roaming plans available at the minute

I've noticed that outbound SMS texts sometimes aren't received going Lyca to Virgin Mobile. Just had an idea that it might be due to the message being >160 characters causing problems somewhere along the way (either Lyca or VM end I guess or maybe the actual carrier in between). Sure enough, looking back through herself's texts that I never recieved are all >160 characters so would've been split.

So, anyone hare having isses sending long/split texts over 160 chars in length?

it seems that by using their SIM, it removes the Personal Hotspot button/option from the iPhone completely. ( I'm using an iPhone6s)

You just need to add the personal hotspot APN settings and the menu option will appear again

However Lyca don't allow tethering so it won't be functional

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Jim Division

Messaged Lycamobile on Facebook with this but no reply - would anybody know?

"I have been using Lycamobile for several weeks now. Happy with service. Can I now port my Vodafone number to the Lycamobile SIM i have been using, or would I need to port to a new SIM that has not been used?

I would like to continue using the Lycamobile SIM and service, but with my Vodafone (087) number."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Messaged Lycamobile on Facebook with this but no reply - would anybody know?

"I have been using Lycamobile for several weeks now. Happy with service. Can I now port my Vodafone number to the Lycamobile SIM i have been using, or would I need to port to a new SIM that has not been used?

I would like to continue using the Lycamobile SIM and service, but with my Vodafone (087) number."
    You can port in now. The plan is linked to the sim number rather than the phone number on it so the plan will still be valid after the port.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    You can port in now. The plan is linked to the sim number rather than the phone number on it so the plan will still be valid after the port.

Thanks! So when I port my number will simply "change" to my Vodafone/087 number in terms of caller ID and people calling me etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Thanks! So when I port my number will simply "change" to my Vodafone/087 number in terms of caller ID and people calling me etc?

yes

Yep. To port just fill out this form:

https://account.lycamobile.ie/portinrequest_irl.aspx?lang=en&_ga=2.45272993.480917986.1495981666-1003548036.1473186891

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Why would anyone port to a provider who don't do roaming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Well maybe like me they don't go any where too often.

Cheap. Keep usual number. Stick a "local" payg SIM in the second slot on the odd occasion I join the jet set.

Plus, they'll have to provide roaming come June 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Plus, they'll have to provide roaming come June 15th.

Look at 48months....you don't have to provide any roaming on a plan

Not really sure about the ins and outs of it all but 48 are making changes on 13th June for example: http://www.48months.ie/roaming/the-guido

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Not really sure about the ins and outs of it all but 48 are making changes on 13th June for example: http://www.48months.ie/roaming/the-guido

Yes I think that roam like home means that no provider can opt out of roaming now.
    The fouls for minimum data is the amount you paid divided by 4.73.

So if you paid €10 for any amount of data the minimum that you are allowed to use is 10/4.73 = 2.11GB. if there is vat I think you take it off before the calculation.

I believe also that even if they only gave you 1GB for a tenner they still have to give you the 2GB when roaming.

biebiebie wrote: »

To answer my own query.
    I can confirm that using the above pdf it did work for data in the UK today.

So I guess it's still in place for now anyhow in the run up to 15th June.

Can't say how much longer it'll work for, but I'd imagine once it deducts the payment from your balance then you're good to go, and vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

I have been been on 'Ireland Plus' with Lyca for 2 years, my favourite feature was the free roaming.

I've just seen that roaming is to be dropped from all bundles and I'm heading to Spain on June 17th so will be a guinea pig for the new arrangement.

This makes the bundle far inferior, and that's the complete opposite to what EU intended.

I really hope Comreg crack down on the Irish operators BEFORE June 15th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

Lyca seem pretty certain they'll be charging people for EU roaming after June 15th:
    https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/roaming-within-the-european-union-is-changing
    "Please note that you will no longer be able to use bundle allowances while roaming."

Given that 3 have already had to backtrack on their initial statement (they tried to only offer calls and texts from bundle when roaming) , I've got to expect Lyca will be punished for this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Lyca seem pretty certain they'll be charging people for EU roaming after June 15th:
    "Please note that you will no longer be able to use bundle allowances while roaming."

Given that 3 have already had to backtrack on their initial statement (they tried to only offer calls and texts from bundle when roaming) , I've got to expect Lyca will be punished for this.

Unless they change this by the 15th, I'll certainly be lodging a complaint with Comreg and the EU regulators.

Vodafone, Meteor, Three, ID and Virgin have all said that they will be following the EU ruling more or less *

The only ones left that we are uncertain about are Lyca, Tesco Mobile and 48months.

* I don't think they have to actually give you the same amount of data roaming, for instance Three's All You Can Eat is getting 5GB of EU data roaming.

They,ll be punished by the customer. When they leave in there droves .The thing with lyca is you have an unlocked phone and it's so easy to move . I just moved away yesterday as I'm going on hols the middle of June and want to use my phone when abroad .

They,ll be punished by the customer. When they leave in there droves .The thing with lyca is you have an unlocked phone and it's so easy to move . I just moved away yesterday as I'm going on hols the middle of June and want to use my phone when abroad .

the unlocked phone also means that you could just buy a throwaway prepaid SIM wherever you're travelling to

the unlocked phone also means that you could just buy a throwaway prepaid SIM wherever you're travelling to

Absolutely but in this day and age ,lyca should have been able to look after me as they have done in previous years. I was in Italy 2 years ago and it was great purchased a bundle before going away . But they have no eu bundle now which is poor for a company which presents itself as an international brand

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Guys I'm in Germany - on LYCAMOBILE - Calls and texts working fine but no joy with data, tried the .DE APN and manually selecting Lyca

I've the EUROPE plus bundle active.

Any ideas ? Tried calling them but closed for BH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Rockin wrote: »
    Guys I'm in Germany - on LYCAMOBILE - Calls and texts working fine but no joy with data, tried the .DE APN and manually selecting Lyca

You can roam with calls and texts on that plan but not data it says national data on the site which is Ireland only

Trying topping up and buying data addon for Germany, lasts for 30 days.

HOME DATA XS1 € 1.99 50 MB
    *139*7011#

HOME DATA S1 € 5 250 MB
    *139*7001#

HOME DATA M1 € 7 500 MB
    *139*7051#

HOME DATA L1 € 12 1GB
    *139*7101#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭flutered

hi guys a quick question do lyca allow tethering etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

flutered wrote: »
    hi guys a quick question do lyca allow tethering etc

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Grootbaas

A Stupid Question Ladies and Gentlemen:
    Could I buy a Lyca Mobile top up voucher at a shop for a Lyca mobile number and top it up from another serviceprovider?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭pjq

Try this thread for how to connect data while roaming ;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103709785
    pjq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 b4dr1

I have done Lyca tethering and it seems to work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Didn't realise they were 'dropping' free Roaming. Literally just switched to Lyca about 2 weeks ago to be able to roam free this summer. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭bromley52

Didn't realise they were 'dropping' free Roaming. Literally just switched to Lyca about 2 weeks ago to be able to roam free this summer. Lovely.

You can switch again whenever you want.

bromley52 wrote: »
    Didn't realise they were 'droopping' free Roaming. Literally just switched to Lyca about 2 weeks ago to be able to roam free this summer. Lovely.

You can switch again whenever you want.

I made the same mistake a few weeks ago so I just switched over to ID €15 . 30gb 4g data plus 300 mins keep your credit , i use WhatsApp for texts , much faster data speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

I made the same mistake a few weeks ago so I just switched over to ID €15 . 30gb 4g data plus 300 mins keep your credit , i use WhatsApp for texts , much faster data speeds

Do you have a link to the ID deal? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

degsie wrote: »

https://www.idmobile.ie/shop/phones-plans/prepay-plan

JaCrispy wrote: »
    degsie wrote: »

https://www.idmobile.ie/shop/phones-plans/prepay-plan

Really is a great deal . Considering you keep your credit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement