Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does this bit go?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks probably a super simple question for here, but I'm trying to put a new switch in and I can't figure out how to put in this part here to make the switch...switch.

The first picture is the old switch - it looks burnt, why would this be? Anything to worry about?

The second picture is the new switch part and the small bit to the right is the bit I'm unsure of where it goes. The rest I was able to copy off the existing part but this small bit fell out after I took the old one off.

ffOOnaV.jpg

YSrG187.jpg

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I would not recommend attempting to repair a light switch, just buy a complete new one in your local electrical wholesalers, they are only a few Euro. Check that it is CE approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I got a new one alright - the parts from the bottom picture are from the new one.

Just when I opened it up the parts fell out. I figure it out in the end anyway, thanks :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Pete67 wrote: »
    I would not recommend attempting to repair a light switch, just buy a complete new one in your local electrical wholesalers, they are only a few Euro. Check that it is CE approved.

Exactly.

Even if it "goes back together" for the sake of a euro or two I would replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Cianos wrote: »
    I got a new one alright - the parts from the bottom picture are from the new one.

Just when I opened it up the parts fell out. I figure it out in the end anyway, thanks :)

Why did you open up the new one?

Even if you do get it back together there is no certainty that it will be making a good contact. Buy another one!

Why did you open up the new one?

Even if you do get it back together there is no certainty that it will be making a good contact. Buy another one!

To avoid having to wire up the new one. I just needed the switch part so I thought it'd be a matter of screwing the old one off and the new one on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

To avoid having to wire up the new one. I just needed the switch part so I thought it'd be a matter of screwing the old one off and the new one on.

The easiest thing to do would have been to take a picture of the old one before you disconnected it and copied the terminations to the new one.
    As other posters have said the way you have done it is not safe. There is no guarantee that you have put the switch together properly and even if it appears to work it may not actually be safe.
    At the end of the day you're the one who has to deal with any consequences so it's your choice whether you want to follow the advice on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Get someone competent to fit new switch. You shouldn't have stripped switch on new one. Your logic re reason why you removed/stripped switch makes no logical sense but maybe I'm missing something ? You always needed to wire new switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Are you originally from America by any chance as I know there switches and sockets are different there and you can change the front of them without having to change the wiring.
    It is not like that here.
    It looks like your switch was either overloaded or had a loose connection. The switch should be rated for 10amps and not take anymore than that. That is a very simple switch there can not have been too many wires at it. One terminal normally marked comm is where he live wire should be and he other side would have the wire going up to your light that would become live when you flick the switch letting power get up to the light and the light would then come on as long as all the neutral wiring to the light is also right. AC has to be able to travel both ways its like a busy road with lots of traffic on each side moving when it is on and not moving when it is off.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Thanks for the advice again. I'll get a new switch or get an electrician to look at it when they're in doing other work. I'm not American btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,097 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Cianos wrote:
    Thanks for the advice again. I'll get a new switch or get an electrician to look at it when they're in doing other work. I'm not American btw!

But it could be too late by then. :(

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    But it could be too late by then. :(

I have the fuse switch off for the light in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

If the new switch fell apart just when you opened it then I would NOT use that switch.
    Get a good make - pay the extra few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I have the fuse switch off for the light in the meantime
    2 screws / 2 wires. You'd have replaced the switch quicker than it took you to perform the surgery above.

Advertisement