Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

self build

Options
  • 01-06-2016 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, my partner and I are applying for planning permission at the moment on a site gifted to him by his parents. We are not married, I am in full time employment on 29k, have no loans and approx. 15k savings. He is unemployed at the moment with 6k savings. For a self build mortgage, if the planning is in both names, is it essential that both names are on the Mortgage, can we get something signed by the solicitor to tie my partner to the mortgage. Also we have received a quote from a builder of 105k to build the 1500 sq ft house, how do you determine the building costs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

Hi, my partner and I are applying for planning permission at the moment on a site gifted to him by his parents. We are not married, I am in full time employment on 29k, have no loans and approx. 15k savings. He is unemployed at the moment with 6k savings. For a self build mortgage, if the planning is in both names, is it essential that both names are on the Mortgage, can we get something signed by the solicitor to tie my partner to the mortgage. Also we have received a quote from a builder of 105k to build the 1500 sq ft house, how do you determine the building costs?
    Good Afternoon mortgageaid, 

Thank you for contacting us here and welcome to Boards.ie

Due to the nature of this query it may be more beneficial for you to speak with a mortgage rep who would be able to determine the correct course of action for you and your partner to take. I can arrange this for you here if you would like to privately message me your name, contact number and the first line of your address. 

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.

Evie 

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Irishgirl2020

hi,

Can you please tell me the outcome of the above?

I ask because recently i found out that if the land is only in my name my partner and i cannot get the mortgage on it together. The mortgage would have to be in my name as the land is in my name. This seems to be a new rule as my siblings were able to over come this issue by getting a letter signed by the solicitor stating the rights in relation to the house/mortgage but when i asked the bank about this they said that they wont accept that anymore.

I would also be interest to know the result of the costings your builder provided did you get other quotes? how did you gauge this as being reasonable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

hi,

Can you please tell me the outcome of the above?

I ask because recently i found out that if the land is only in my name my partner and i cannot get the mortgage on it together. The mortgage would have to be in my name as the land is in my name. This seems to be a new rule as my siblings were able to over come this issue by getting a letter signed by the solicitor stating the rights in relation to the house/mortgage but when i asked the bank about this they said that they wont accept that anymore.

I would also be interest to know the result of the costings your builder provided did you get other quotes? how did you gauge this as being reasonable?
    Good Morning Irishgirl2020, 

Thanks for posting and welcome to Boards.ie, while I cannot offer any advise on mortgageaid's experience, if you would like at any point to speak with one of our reps I would be happy to arrange this for you. Please just click on the link below my name and PM me your name, first line of your address and your contact number and we will arrange this for you. 

Thanks, 

Evie 

Advertisement