Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who has proposed abroad?

• 01-06-2016 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

My girlfriend and I are travelling to South America soon, and my plan is to propose while over there.

What is the best way to bring the ring on the plane? I'd be nervous about bringing it through checked luggage as I'd rather it always with me. On the other hand, I don't want to draw attention at the security check for hand luggage.

Is there any Customs issues I need to consider too? I have no idea how this works.

I guess another concern of mine is that where we are going has a reputation for corrupt police. One part of our journey is renting a car and driving 2 hours away from our hotel to stay at a different hotel for 1 night. This is where I want to propose. Police are known for pulling over tourists and looking for bribes. Am I being too paranoid here?

And lastly, what to do with the ring for the first few days before I propose? Can I trust the room safe, or even the hotel safe of they have one?

Appreciate any ideas and suggestions! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I bought a €100 Pandora ring because I knew her size. We would be camper vanning in New Zealand and living in close quarters so didn't fancy buying and bringing something so valuable.

She picked out the proper one she wanted when we got home. Still really likes the Pandora one.

Rooms with a safe are probably fine, your biggest risk is your OH questioning what you're putting into it.

I think you are being paranoid about the cops thing though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I would think proposing with a cheap token ring is the best idea, given your circumstances. Too much can go wrong if you bring it with you, and then you can prolong the excitement by giving her the actual ring when you get home :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

I know someone from London who proposed in Dublin recently. He carried the ring in his washbag and put a little note around it saying "engagement ring - please be discrete".

Ultimately they never even looked in his bag but thats really the most you can do, you can't really rule out being discovered.

The safest thing is to buy a little token ring over there - that way you rule out spoiling the surprise and the ring has extra sentimental value as you'll remember if being from your amazing trip to South America!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Plankton1

My OH proposed to me at the end of 3 months in South America :)
    He hid the ring inside a small box and put that inside one of those bags you get a toothbrush and stuff in on a flight. He then stuffed it in the bottom of his camera bag. I never knew it was there and because his camera equipment was expensive I didn't think twice of how protective he was being of the bag. I wasn't suspicious at all. He carried it around for the 3 months as if all was normal!

He organised our travel insurance and then without me knowing, rang the company and added the ring to the insurance. Definitely do this, it will give you some kind of peace of mind. If you're travelling together just the two of you, it would be very difficult to nip off and buy a token ring over there I think!

He didn't notify customs or do anything like that. I would say hide it well in your hand luggage and make sure the bag is always by your side on any bus journeys etc. the hotel safe should be fine to hide it in.

I don't know whereabouts in South America you're going but we never had a single problem with police and never felt unsafe. If you're going to Colombia, everyone we met on our travels said that it was their fave place and extremely safe because they're trying to promote tourism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I proposed in Rome, had the ring in my carry on for the security check and all was fine, took it out and put it in my pocket when i had a chance before boarding plane(it was still in the box).
    Walked around Rome for a day and a half with it in my pocket before I found the perfect moment.
    Tense Times!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had it in the cabin baggage with the plan to discretely say to someone if my bag was searched that there was an engagement ring in there so could they just bring me into one of those separate rooms if they needed to do a bag search.

In the end breezed through no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Thanks guys. Ring purchased today, jetting off in 2 weeks. Wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marymary1984

Just put it in the change part of your wallet with your coins, will just show up as a piece of metal - no need to over think it- happens thousands of times daily across the world. Hope she says yes!!

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Well they do say the ass is nature's pocket..... :pac:

In all seriousness though, I know a couple of people who've done it and one put it in his wallet for going through the metal detector - no issues at all. The other put it in his carry on bag in an inside pocket and had a note with it asking to be brought into an interview room if his bag needed searched

Advertisement