Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why the huge difference?

• 01-06-2016 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering why an Americano from a nice restaurant/cafe is so much better than one in Starbucks or Costa? Is it the choice of beans or is it some difference in the process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I would say it's multiple things. A real machine as opposed to a pushbutton (Starbucks), fresher beans, better beans, and good cafes genuinely care about coffee and refine the process, take care of their machines etc. A Starbucks barista is not a real barista, they're a service provider, hard truth. Costa aren't so bad but again, it's chain profit over quality.

Really though, I find the whole experience of a Starbucks shockingly bad, from the price of the drinks to the bad quality to the fakeness of writing your name on the cup, having it called out, the people at the front desk with a Macbook, not aware that they're the worst cliche going. They have power sockets and wifi going for them, that's about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

J_E wrote: »
    I would say it's multiple things. A real machine as opposed to a pushbutton (Starbucks), fresher beans, better beans, and good cafes genuinely care about coffee and refine the process, take care of their machines etc. A Starbucks barista is not a real barista, they're a service provider, hard truth. Costa aren't so bad but again, it's chain profit over quality.

Really though, I find the whole experience of a Starbucks shockingly bad, from the price of the drinks to the bad quality to the fakeness of writing your name on the cup, having it called out, the people at the front desk with a Macbook, not aware that they're the worst cliche going. They have power sockets and wifi going for them, that's about it.

They also have Tazo tea!

Marcusm wrote: »
    They also have Tazo tea!

Again, they probably put boiling water on green teas, not knowing the difference. Many places will do you proper stuff in a much less artificial environment. Why anyone would choose Starbucks in an area with cheaper and much better alternatives that actually support people/families, is almost selfish to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

I had a filter coffee on Are Lingus recently. It's just the Java Republic stuff which is in a cup with a filter lid. You basically drink through the filter.

I'm shocked to say it's the best cup of coffee I've had in years. Tasted absolutely delicious. No milk and no sugar added.

Starbucks coffee is not very good but they do usually (in the newer ones) have sockets and plenty of seating. That's why the macbooks come out.

More places are facilitating laptop and mobile charging though. It's clearly something a lot of people want to do.

I don't see anything wrong with it. The macbook is just one of the most popular laptops around and using a computer is the modern equivalent of reading a newspaper in a cafe.

Take a look around on a train in Ireland. Apple has massive market share at the moment.

I think people can be a bit overly judgemental about people being stereotypes.

• Advertisement

12Phase wrote: »
    I had a filter coffee on Are Lingus recently. It's just the Java Republic stuff which is in a cup with a filter lid. You basically drink through the filter.

I'm shocked to say it's the best cup of coffee I've had in years. Tasted absolutely delicious. No milk and no sugar added.

I'll have to give that one a try - I was interested by the sound of it but wasn't sure if it was worth the 3 euro!
    12Phase wrote: »
    Starbucks coffee is not very good but they do usually (in the newer ones) have sockets and plenty of seating. That's why the macbooks come out.
    More places are facilitating laptop and mobile charging though. It's clearly something a lot of people want to do.
    I don't see anything wrong with it. The macbook is just one of the most popular laptops around and using a computer is the modern equivalent of reading a newspaper in a cafe.
    Take a look around on a train in Ireland. Apple has massive market share at the moment.
    I think people can be a bit overly judgemental about people being stereotypes.

I don't know what point you're trying to make - no, you don't see the majority of people on a train using Macs, it's majority Lenovo, Dell and HP. Anyway, It's a vain thing - people like to feel self-important sitting at the window on a Mac, it's just how it is. It's as shallow an atmosphere as the cafe provides, really. It's not an Irish thing - you see it in Starbucks around the world. It's a bit tired, and as someone who actually enjoys the taste of coffee I'd never settle for them. The last time I had to go there I thought I'd be safe with a hot chocolate - nah, so sugary it had little taste of chocolate and left my mouth dry. Yuck. Will Dublin put their foot down on Starbucks sucking the life out of the city with a franchise on every corner like London? Probably not...

Best in-flight coffee I've had so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

To answer th OP: Its probably because the shot is topped up with water and not just filled through the group-head. Although of course they good be sourcing quality beans, well roasted.

Any of the beans that are used in the main steam coffee shops that I've experienced are way over roasted. And old. And robusta.

You'll generally know looking into the hopper if a its worth a punt. If the beans look greasy or black, forget about.

I haven't a clue what apple or macbook has to do with the price of turnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Conba

After having the worst Americanos I've ever had in the Starbucks just down from the RDS, and then (like a fool) in the Kildare Village shortly afterwards I swore... never again. But when the new one opened up in Limerick underneath the Uber office I just had to release my inner hipster (not really) again for a day. And I have to say it was the best, still not great mind you, but the best Starbucks I've had.

And yes, they have a little island with power sockets that was playing host to several iPads / tablets. There were also plenty of Macbooks on laps by the window and they did seem a little posey but hey, who am I to judge. What I will say though is Starbucks have won themselves a stay of execution from me - I won't be going there for the coffee but I do like the design, ambiance and location of that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Denying that there's an element of vanity and pretentiousness around the use of Apple products in Starbucks or that it can be explained by market share is ludicrous. On several occasions in the past I've seen lads (and ladies) taking up a mountain of space with all three of Macbook, iPad and iPhone on the table at the same time. Not even charging, just out there to be seen. And take up space.

Yes, their coffee is ****. Crap beans that aren't roasted properly I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I can't stand coffee. Lyons tea is much better. Wakes me up.

Advertisement