Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Oh yes, I remember that one. Quite shocking. They subsequently found a third sibling in Australia and were on the Late Late.

They showed the graveyard where the father was buried at the end but not the precise grave & I remember thinking that lots of people would easily figure that out if they wanted to.

Genealogy Forum Mod

What was the name they were researching? I'll ask Mr. Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭55Gem

I remember it from the Late Late as the third child was in Ireland and it was his daughter in Australia who suggested he might be another of this couple’s children, and I think they said a fourth had just been found that they hadn’t met yet.

I could be wrong but it’s funny how we remember things differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Another interesting episode on ITV1 now, so will be on +1 from 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

It's what genealogy is all about...

A brief tale of genealogical brick walls, research, perseverance, and results!

Growing up there was always very little known about my grandmother's maternal (Moloney) line. Due to factors like her grandmother dying young, her mother being an only child, and my grandmother being a very late addition to a family of 9 children.

Up until last year this branch of the tree only went back to my 2xgreat grandparents, their civil marriage cert has been lost which left a dead end for parentage. No mention/records of any cousins or any relatives. All that we had was a memory from my 90yo great uncle of a distant great-uncle who may have emigrated to Sheffield.

Finally through the brilliance of AncestryDNA my grandmother matched with a woman who thankfully replied to my initial inquiry about possible common ancestors. Everything started to link together when she said that her family contained Maloney from Sheffield, and yes there was a mention over the years of a link to Clare in Ireland! (their Moloney had turned to Maloney due to a transcription error 2 gens back)

After a day or so of trading information we were satisfied that this was our line of lost cousins. As part of my research I had created a number of 'roughwork' family trees to explore some possible leads, it turns out that one of them had been right on the money and this became clearer as the puzzle pieces began to fit together.

So to finish this out, over the weekend we were proud to welcome home a representative for these cousins to their ancestral homeland, introduce him to two of his 2nd cousins, and (icing on the cake) were able to bring him to the homestead which his grandfather would have walked out from never to return over 130years ago!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing your story RM.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭CassieManson

That's fantastic. Well done!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Great to get that ghost branch filled out at last. Gives me hope of finding my grandmother one day.

• Advertisement

I'm looking at a death cert from 1960 in Dublin No. 4 district which records that the person died at Merrion Nursing Home.

I wonder can anyone tell me where this is?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Looking in the newspapers it seems to have moved from Upper Merrion Street, to by 1949, 21 Herbert Street D2.

An ad for a Kitchenmaid.

another ad in 1964 for Herbert St.

Great stuff Gem!

I had searched the 1949 Thoms at Ancestry for Merrion Square, Upper & Lower Merrion Street, Merrion Row etc.to no avail.

Didn't think of using the newspapers!

Genealogy Forum Mod

My two favourite programmes were back on the box last night though you'd hardly have known given the BBC never seem to advertise their imminent return which is quite bizarre.

Victoria was her usual wonderful self on Only Connect and I'm delighted to say Amol Rajan was really good as the new host of University Challenge.

I honestly thought with Jeremy's departure the show would finally succumb to pressure to appeal to broader audience but bar the host, the set and some fancy new visuals for the opening credits it was business as usual as Amol himself was keen to point out right at the start.

Reading back on my previous post I was really pessimistic about the choice for Jeremy's replacement but I'm delighted to have been proven utterly wrong.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I knew from Twitter that OC was back because I follow Victoria Coren.

Thought Amol was good but he needs a higher up seat. My tellybox cut off recording just as the bell went and I had to google who won.

Genealogy Forum Mod

An interesting find in the Halpin family I'm currently researching.

The noted Irish genealogist Brian J. Cantwell (1914-1992) is a descendant of this family.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Brilliant discovery! I really enjoy hearing about these finds, also relates to one of my posts "Who do You Think You Might be Related to?"

Cousin messaged me on Ancestry and asked if I knew more about a half-sibling of our shared ancestor. Born 1917 so if he's not dead I'm fairly sure I'd know about it; but beyond that I only knew his - obscure - middle name.

Quick bit of work on the newspaper archives and it would appear that, beyond any plausible doubt (that middle name and an already obscure surname), he was a very, very naughty boy; with a very specific obsession.

I've found at least four different occasions, from the 30s to the 60s, where he was convicted of fraud or related offenses; where he had gained the trust of people by pretending to be a Catholic priest (or a monk once). By the 60s he's also lying about his age very considerably which is why I initially ignored that report until I found one with his middle name

It's wonderful when you've got unusual names to find.

Wow!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Found a death cert that almost definitely has to be him from '88 (FreeBMD - his later convictions were in England anyway) so at least I don't have a living, exceptionally old, career criminal relative to worry about.

Maybe it's just as well for your own peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Logged in to Ancestry just now and noticed that they have re-run their maternal/paternal allocation. I've jumped from a couple of 'Both Sides' to 35! From a quick look I suspect that many of them are incorrect (e.g unlikelihood of a marriage due to farflung locations). Two thirds of the matches are <13cM. Some of the higher cM ones already were allocated by me to either side based on shared matches. Most have no trees. Will have a closer look tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭VirginiaB

Thanks for that. I just checked Ancestry and I've gone from one--my brother and only sibling--to 27. In a very quick look, I have no shared matches with any of them, odd. They range from 20cM down to 8cM. I'll have to search the few who have trees. Point of information, my Irish ancestors--great-greats--came from all over Ireland, Cork to Antrim. It is an interesting bit of info tho.

Mine hasn't changed yet but it does say pending update. They've such a big userbase, I'm sure it can't be all done in one go.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I'm still in the same boat with five distant matches identified as paternal, 393 matches identified as maternal, only one of which is a close match, and all the rest unassigned.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have access to my sister, one maternal 1st cousin and of course my own DNA results.

My cousin now has 26 Both Sides, so I did a search of All Matches of my sister's and my results for each of the 26 names.

I got one positive result.

A 15cM match to my cousin is a 9cM match to me but no match to my sister. How this 15cM would match to my cousin's other side I've no idea, for that matter no idea how the person matches to us on our shared side either. Not even a tree to look at.

To be fair my cousin's highest Both Sides is only 19cM.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭VirginiaB

Not sure if this is the right place but just mentioning that Ancestry in the US has an offer of $59 for their DNA test thru 4 September at 11:59pm. That is $40 off the usual price, for anyone interested. Claire Santry also lists big discounts for Ancestry's DNA test right now for Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Thks ... and I think £59 for UK? can we order those? and £10 extra for postage....

• Advertisement

Yes, Ireland orders from the UK site for tests.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement