Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic: chat

Options
1282930313234»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

That's disappointing alright, I had made a couple of discoveries, but hadn't recorded them sufficiently to follow them up and now I can think of so many more searches I would like to have done.

How well maintained were the registers, for example, I was able to see a person in them at the same address up to 55/56, but not in 56/57 (but another member of the household continues to appear), given he was born in the 1880's it is reasonable to assume he died around then, but how long would it have taken to be removed from the register. He has a common enough name but is not one of the 10 people with that name who died in 1956.

I had a second example of a man who died in 1936, but was still on the register in 1944, I am told he had a son with the same name, who I have never been able to find a trace of, wondering if this is just non-removal from the register or possibly evidence of a son?

Do the actual registers contain any additional information like age or date of birth?

Is there any way to get information from the registers without going in person, I don't live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Registers used to be quite up to date, the rates collectors updated them. DOB is not recorded

Since the end of domestic rates, they have been appalling. Former rental house a few doors down from me has ten people registered none of whom still live there - it's empty!

Post edited by L1011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭55Gem

I have one of a woman record with her sister up to 1945 but she married in 1940, she doesn’t appear on the register under her married name until 1949 with her husband.

Her husband was very political and spent time in prison during the 1940s so that may explain it, but clearly she didn’t inform them of her change of surname, perhaps because of who her husband was.

I found out that he died in late 1954, so not too far off, the register definitely narrowed down my search, I also found his wife's death based on her disappearance from the register, Murphy's are not easy to track!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you have an address, DCLA will do a look up on them for you, but nothing speculative.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Thanks, that sounds useful. The website suggests up to 5 queries per consultation, I will choose carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭VirginiaB

Claire Santry posts on her website today that all of FindMyPast's records are open and free this weekend thru Monday 10 June 2024 at 10am. There are just two exceptions. This is to mark the 80th anniversary of D-Day. You can read the details here https://www.irishgenealogynews.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Thanks for that. I have signed up. I would welcome advice from the experts here on what might be beneficial to try.

I have developed a reasonably extensive tree based on using irish genealogy.ie (for baptisms and marriages which are happily available for the area that interests me in Cork plus civil registrations), ancestry.com especially for US links, irish newspaper archives and Census of course. I can trace a direct line back to c.1800 and am reasonable happy I have good detail of the immediate linkages from c. 1860 (siblings of grand parent - yes I am of an age where my grandfather was born in 1860) but would like to be able to get more on 1800 - 1860 (siblings of direct ancestors, etc). Does FMP have anything in particular that may help?

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

I am not a subscriber to Findmypast at the moment. But it can be used to search for church records where it will throw up results that I can then use to access the free microfiche records on the Irish website. Much easier to find a record when you have a year/parish suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kildarejohn

FMP has a different selection of newspapers to INA so you might be lucky and find newspaper refs to ancestors, FMP also has trade/street directories, although searching them can be very frustrating because of the way FMP displays the search results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just discovered the online electoral registers for 1908-15 were taken down back in March (maybe everyone here knew this already). Can only be accessed in person at Pearse St library now. So dissapointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

John Grenham has his copy of those online

https://www.johngrenham.com/dcla/burgesses/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Thank you, the information is only four years more than the census but everything helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Scrabbel

Not an expert, but if your ancestors were Catholic, the ideal FMP records for you are the Roman Catholic Parish baptism, marriage and deaths records. Free to browse on nli.ie but indexed on FMP.

Post edited by Scrabbel on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Drove myself (more) mental trying to find a family on the 1911 census.

Had a lightbulb moment and there they were, as Gaeilge.

It took me quite a while before the lightbulb came on.

Advertisement