Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying Engineering without Physics?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,
    So I am currently trying to decide what to study in 3rd level and at present my number one on my Cao is Biomedical Engineering. This course really interests me as I am interested in learning about new medical advancements.
    The problem I have is I am worried that having not studied physics, applied maths or even engineering for leaving cert, that I would find the course too difficult and ultimately not be able to cope.
    Biology and Maths are my two favourite subjects in school and this course seems like a great way to combine the two. Although Maths is an interest of mine, I wouldn't regard myself as great at it but the min HC3 requirement shouldn't be a problem to me.
    I was hoping that maybe others who have done this course or the same course elsewhere could help give me advice as to whether I am making the correct choice.
    All opinions welcome
    -TT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 DaMorganator

I did Omnibus Engineering in 1st year of college and although I had the choice of Biomedical Engineering, I decided to go down the Mechanical route from 2nd year on.
    I hadn't any applied maths or physics experience, similar to yourself. I was strong enough on the Maths side and got a B2 in the leaving I think. I found that 1st year was quite tough due to the lack of physics (and also I was lazy as f**k).
    If you put the work in for 1st year you should be fine. The good thing is 1st year doesn't matter a damn to your overall degree! By 2nd year I felt I was more or less on par with most students. Avail of any physics aid the college might provide if you can. You certainly won't be the only one without applied maths or physics anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TrashyTrackman

I did Omnibus Engineering in 1st year of college and although I had the choice of Biomedical Engineering, I decided to go down the Mechanical route from 2nd year on. I hadn't any applied maths or physics experience, similar to yourself. I was strong enough on the Maths side and got a B2 in the leaving I think. I found that 1st year was quite tough due to the lack of physics (and also I was lazy as f**k). If you put the work in for 1st year you should be fine. The good thing is 1st year doesn't matter a damn to your overall degree! By 2nd year I felt I was more or less on par with most students. Avail of any physics aid the college might provide if you can. You certainly won't be the only one without applied maths or physics anyway!

Thank you very much! A lot of people I was talking to were trying to put me off studying it saying it would be too difficult without Physics but I was sceptical to listen to them as none of them actually studied engineering. It's really nice to hear from someone who actually has studied engineering and was in a similar position to myself. That's helped clear a lot of worries for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Thank you very much! A lot of people I was talking to were trying to put me off studying it saying it would be too difficult without Physics but I was sceptical to listen to them as none of them actually studied engineering. It's really nice to hear from someone who actually has studied engineering and was in a similar position to myself. That's helped clear a lot of worries for me!

I did physics. Having done Applied Maths was really quite beneficial, but LC Physics was largely useless. I really don't think you would struggle at all without having done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 TrashyTrackman

I did physics. Having done Applied Maths was really quite beneficial, but LC Physics was largely useless. I really don't think you would struggle at all without having done it.

Yeah I definitely would have done Applied Maths if the option had of been available to me in my school. Would have been useful. But that's good know about the physics thanks!

Advertisement