Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMOL40100 biomolecular research project

Options
  • 01-06-2016 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi there, today i got assigned to the BMOL40100 biomolecular research project. was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and as to which option module to maybe choose in semester one (BMOL 40040Cell Growth, Differentiation and Death OR NEUR40080 Molecular and Cellular Biology of Neurodegenerative Proteinopathies) to boost GPA? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Which stream are you in?
    I just finished Biochemistry and took the Neurodegenerative Proteinopathies module and found it interesting, and it helped with aspects of Advanced Neurochemistry in the second semester. Its pretty much equal parts Biochem and Neuro and can be approached from either background, but if you don't have much experience of either then I think it might be a bit more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭ChromosomeT

kronnn wrote: »
    Which stream are you in?
    I just finished Biochemistry and took the Neurodegenerative Proteinopathies module and found it interesting, and it helped with aspects of Advanced Neurochemistry in the second semester. Its pretty much equal parts Biochem and Neuro and can be approached from either background, but if you don't have much experience of either then I think it might be a bit more difficult.

I'm in Pharmacology, just from hearing that I might choose the other option then :confused: Are lectures mainly just cutting edge developments in the areas and then final exam just expressing these approaches giving your views or what? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

4th year lectures in general (at least for Biochem, but more than likely true for every SBBS stream) will be mostly recent developments in the area, stuff that's too new to really be in textbooks and too in-depth to really be fully covered in the lectures. There will be a lot of background reading of papers to understand the topics. Some of the time the material will be explaining what is known bout an area and others (the newer stuff) will be looking into evidence for current opinions on things. If you look at the past papers in SISweb (you can access them with the module codes) you can get an idea of the kind of scope of questions.

It is a big jump in the amount of self-directed learning you have to do from third year, but if you've got this far you'll likely get used to it fine.

Advertisement