Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on planting olive trees in container

Options
  • 01-06-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello

I got a few standard olive trees (about 1m high) and I'm deciding on repotting options. Could anybody advise on putting two into a single planter? Normally I put them in individual pots but I have a large planter (2' x 4') and was wondering if 2 would be OK in a single container.

Any advice/comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JonoinGurteen

Hi there.

I have only recently moved to Ireland after living for 12 years in Greece.
    I did not know olives grow here.
    I have seen olive trees in all stages from tiny babies (in 3" pots) to trees with trunks over 3m in diameter (thought to be over 1500 years old), but I have never seen 2 trees together, natural or cultivated.
    Their root systems are extensive and can be extremely vigorous.
    I do not know if they exude a growth inhibitor to prevent other olives from growing nearby or if they dominant tree just gets the nutrients and out-competes the weaker tree.
    As to your question, personally, I would NOT put 2 together.
    On a side note, olives love being pruned. (In Greece at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Yes, the trees do grow here. I have a couple in pots in my back yard. As to olive fruit - well they're tiny and I wouldn't have thought "harvestable". But I'm growing the little trees for their beauty rather than hoping to get olives. Also, because of space limitations, I have to keep them small. Thanks for the advice - I'll stick to separate containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

My two Olive trees grown in containers are looking rather sickly this year. Any thoughts?

My two Olive trees grown in containers are looking rather sickly this year. Any thoughts?

I had one in the ground few years back and was doing great, but died very slowly after the really bad frost in 2010. Did they get frost? Are you feeding and watering them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Yes. I cover them in fleece over the winter. They are also sheltered in my back garden in pots. Gave them a tomato feed also.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure then - I'm no expert in gardening, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Olives grow perfectly well in Ireland, I have 7 growing in my garden and have planted 100's in projects. Best grown in the ground, they do produce fruit but never ripens (lack of heat). Wonderful trees and can be pruned anytime. Trees in pots are vulnerable to frost and drying out, if planting in containers, I'd recommend pot size of 90x90x90cm

Advertisement