Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subletting question in new apartment

Options
  • 01-06-2016 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hello,

I am moving out in a months time, and have given a deposit for a nice 2 bedroom apartment, with a move-in date of early next month.

After speaking to some family members about it, my cousin (who is more like a brother) wants to move over from the UK. The contract states that its at the discretion of the owner (and not the letting company) in relation to allowing subletting.

I would be confident that this would be OK if he already had a PPS number, which he would not after moving here.

Is it very uncommon for a letting agency/landlord to deny subletting? I'd assume my cousin would be a licensee, and I would be liable for any damage done on his part (not that there would be, just saying from a legal perspective). I'd be perfectly good with that since I know both of us are not animals.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Kai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

This was a strange question to ask. It hinges on the fear that my Cousin will not have a PPS number at the time of moving in. The plan is once he gets his PPS, I'll be informing the letting company and taking it from there. I'm hoping myself taking 100% responsibility of him in the perspective of the letting company/owner It should be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Kai123 wrote: »
    This was a strange question to ask. It hinges on the fear that my Cousin will not have a PPS number at the time of moving in. The plan is once he gets his PPS, I'll be informing the letting company and taking it from there. I'm hoping myself taking 100% responsibility of him in the perspective of the letting company/owner It should be OK.

Why would you want to sublet if your completing moving out - that means you will still be the tenant and responsible for the apartment even if you don't live there. You should reassign lease to your cousin, landlord has to agree but must do so if your cousin is a reasonable replacement. This is assuming your in a fixed term lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why would you want to sublet if your completing moving out - that means you will still be the tenant and responsible for the apartment even if you don't live there. You should reassign lease to your cousin, landlord has to agree but must do so if your cousin is a reasonable replacement. This is assuming your in a fixed term lease.

This.

Not having a PPS number does not make your cousin less suitable than you.

But does he have a job, means to pay the rent, and the same type of references that you had to provide when you moved in? These are the things which would make him an unreasonable replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Do you want to share the new apartment with your cousin or let him move into the old apartment?

Does your cousin have permission to remain in the country beyond a holiday visit? I assume ye are not Irish citizens? Are ye UK citizens?

Depending on your cousin's nationality there may be issues with immigration but if the landlord or agent is happy with the subletting then there is no reason they would need a PPS number if other photo ID can be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

I worded my original post badly!

This is in relation to my cousin moving in with me in the new apartment.

We are both English (I've been here for almost 8 years).

There will be a 3 week period where I will be moving into the new apartment and living in the old rented room. He will come over and help me move, at which point he will have his PPS number (and hopefully a job), at which point I will ask the letting company and see what they say.

Sorry for the misunderstanding! I will English better from now on :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement