Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Tour de France Thread 2016 - use spoiler tags until midnight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,405 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

im a bit like cav saying i dont care after the previous year and now cant wait for it to start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Yippeee

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The issue with Dan is still consistency and staying well. If Etixx can sort that, I see absolutely no reason a solid top 10 isn't possible. I've taken that bet too.

I know what you're saying. In the back of my mind as I was placing the bet there was a voice going 'allergies, crashes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

bazermc wrote: »
    Well the magazine that I got is a British publication so it obviously says that froome will win. It also has mark cavendish on the front cover. Will he even be racing it?

My bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    I'd love to have a subscription to, and some subtitles for, Dutch TV coverage of the tour. I watched it last year when in Italy and it was class. The post race shows in the evening, even with my very basic Dutch (which is my German!), I was able to grasp a good bit of what they were on about. WAAAAAY better than any ES post or indeed pre race coverage.

Do all the keen racers here have French good enough to follow the French radio coverage? French sports coverage is usually appealingly biased and passionate.

Prizes were much better in the past; Wikipedia:
    The first prize in 1988 was a car, a studio-apartment, a work of art and 500,000 francs in cash.

BBC World Service was saying earlier that the Africans are coming up strongly; not there yet, but getting better every year. Opinions?

• Advertisement

Incidentally, in relation to Dutch coverage, i have Swedish friends and their TV deal - Sky, I *think*, but I'm not sure - gives them access to some Swedish channels or a Swedish channel; they may have to pay extra…

I don't know what TV deals offer what foreign-language channels - does anyone here?

Is there anywhere showing the Tour with French commentary on TV? Alliance Française?

This site has lots of video (sorry if everyone already knows this), a lot of it in English, some in French but the French is very clear - clear enough for me to understand a fair amount, which is saying a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Chuchote wrote: »
    French sports coverage is usually appealingly biased and passionate.

and Carlton & the ITV lads are keen neutral observers i suppose

neris wrote: »
    and Carlton & the ITV lads are keen neutral observers i suppose

Ah well, you're right; things have changed. I first came across French sports radio in the 1960s when I was studying for my Leaving. At that stage, British commentators tried to behave like RAF pilots, cool under fire, distanced, unbiased. Irish commentators even more so. Irish crowds at matches would politely applaud a nice goal by the opposing side. So the wails of "Ah! Quel dommage! Quel dommage!" from the French commentators when a goal was scored against France were hilarious and refreshing.

According to the Freesat listings, ITV4 is showing Tour de France live from 14:00 to 17:30, it lists the same channel as showing Tour de France highlights from 13:00 to 15:00 and 19:00 to 21:00, which is puzzling. Chris Boardman and Gary Imlach presenting, whatever.

• Advertisement

Oh, and it lists S4C as having Seiclo: Le Tour de France 14:00-16:30 and 22:00-22:30 or various similar times on Thursday and Friday.

And TG4 has Tour de France Beo from 13:10 for 3.5 hours.

So who else has booked a holiday to Israel and bought alpecin caffeine shampoo. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

So who else has booked a holiday to Israel and bought alpecin caffeine shampoo. :)

Neither.
    But who is yer man in the shower?

The wife was asking me. Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I miss the bora ads. THey always had some nifty kitchen utensils. That extractor fan that went downwards blew my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Melodeon

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Neither.
    But who is yer man in the shower?

The wife was asking me. Honestly.

That's Roy Curvers in the shower, and Tom Dumoulin looking for the shampoo.

Here he is for 'the wife' :rolleyes: ;););)
    390931.jpg

Melodeon wrote: »
    That's Roy Curvers in the shower, and Tom Dumoulin looking for the shampoo.

Here he is for 'the wife' :rolleyes: ;););)
    390931.jpg

Thanks.
    He looks filthy.....

ALPECIN SHAMPOO - it's not worth it. Dearer than champagne.

I think I will stick to L'Oréal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

JK.BMC wrote: »
    ALPECIN SHAMPOO - it's not worth it. Dearer than champagne.

I think I will stick to L'Oréal.
    Any idea what caffeine shampoo is? Does is smell like coffee? Or give you a boost like caffeine? If so, how?

It's one of those ads I've heard 100 times without questioning, but now that I read the words, it doesn't really make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,573 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It does not smell like coffee... smells half medicinal, half cosmetic... it's all about applying ENERGY, directly to your hair follicles... especially in men whose hair follicles are getting a bit lazy and so thinning on top...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

That's a really nasty cut the poor little lad has; he clearly needs someone to kiss it better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So few crashes this year. After the relative carnage of the last few years (If I recall correctly we had some really serious crashes last year) this year I don't think, apart from Bertie, there has been any big crash and we currently have no drop outs.

We always hear that the reason for the crashes is nervousness in the bunch, the hard racing etc etc, so is it that everyone is simply taking it easier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So few crashes this year. After the relative carnage of the last few years (If I recall correctly we had some really serious crashes last year) this year I don't think, apart from Bertie, there has been any big crash and we currently have no drop outs.

We always hear that the reason for the crashes is nervousness in the bunch, the hard racing etc etc, so is it that everyone is simply taking it easier this year?

Bertie twice and Sam http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/bennett-could-see-bone-in-his-finger-after-crash-battles-to-finish-stage-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not one dnf or dns yet which is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

From that link:
    “I could see the bone in my finger and I had to go under to get them stitched up.”

Does that mean he had a general anesthetic?
    If so, that's nuts that he was back racing the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

From that link:

Does that mean he had a general anesthetic?
    If so, that's nuts that he was back racing the next day.

I would believe so,crazy that he'd be allowed race the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kreuziger getting a bashing by Tinkoff team staff. May contain spoilers http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-cavendish-is-king-tinkoff-in-crisis-podcast/

So no stage of the tour today, no football, no game of thrones...................

At this rate I might actually need to talk to the wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

So no stage of the tour today, no football, no game of thrones...................

At this rate I might actually need to talk to the wife.

ITV have a rest day special this evening, its bound to be better than talking to the wife

Boscoirl wrote: »
    ITV have a rest day special this evening, its bound to be better than talking to the wife

Hmmmm, I dont know will they spend the whole hour talking about how brillant Froome is......:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Love watching him but he strikes me as very conservative, and its frustrating watching him always following, following.
    I wonder will he have a go on the time trial Friday?

Advertisement