Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Tour de France Thread 2016 - use spoiler tags until midnight

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

After hearing the Flying Mullet was out I saw his bike last night on twitter

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/756427545088712705

To get up and finish the stage is some achievement.

godtabh wrote: »
    After hearing the Flying Mullet was out I saw his bike last night on twitter

https://twitter.com/cyclingtips/status/756427545088712705

To get up and finish the stage is some achievement.

Bit of duck tape and it,ll be grand

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    Bit of duck tape and it,ll be grand

I'm sure there will be a thread here shortly asking is it ok to ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

neris wrote: »

Unfortunately doesn't seem like he'll have the pleasure of contesting seriously any sprint throughout the race but finishing the whole thing would be a super achievement in terms of character. Hopefully Sagan does sign with Bora and Sam rides s a teammate for next season. Would be a great boost to his career - learning curves & all that - imo to be racing with/for someone like that in the biggest races, & Sagan seems far from the greediest of riders so wouldn't at all have to mean the end of his own aspirations to glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

anyone else hear anything on allegations about Nibbles wheel from yesterday? saw this on their facebook page but hadnt read anything from any other source..

http://www.astanaproteam.kz/modules.php?name=astana&page=news&id=229

"In relation with the suspects about the Vincenzo Nibali's rear wheel rotation during his fall in today's stage at Tour de France, the Astana Pro Team informs that during the three weeks of race we have been subjected to the UCI checks daily, always resulting perfectly in order.
    The Astana Pro Team and Vincenzo Nibali reserve the right to take legal action in case someone will to threaten the image of the Team or of the athlete.

In a separate note, the Astana Pro Team wish to thank its partner Corima Wheels and Ceramic Speed Bearings to have provided such great products that apparently take a much longer time to stop the round in particular case of fall."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Astana and Nibali should spend more energy on racing and less on threatening to sue people all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sagan is an animal, he could aim for all the jerseys if he put his mind to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    anyone else hear anything on allegations about Nibbles wheel from yesterday? saw this on their facebook page but hadnt read anything from any other source..

http://www.astanaproteam.kz/modules.php?name=astana&page=news&id=229

"In relation with the suspects about the Vincenzo Nibali's rear wheel rotation during his fall in today's stage at Tour de France, the Astana Pro Team informs that during the three weeks of race we have been subjected to the UCI checks daily, always resulting perfectly in order.
    The Astana Pro Team and Vincenzo Nibali reserve the right to take legal action in case someone will to threaten the image of the Team or of the athlete.

In a separate note, the Astana Pro Team wish to thank its partner Corima Wheels and Ceramic Speed Bearings to have provided such great products that apparently take a much longer time to stop the round in particular case of fall."

Hadnt noticed anything but now they bring me attention to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I think, that's the last place, that anybody would need mechanical assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I think, that's the last place, that anybody would need mechanical assistance.

Never under estimate the incompetence of people :) or maybe as he fell he pushed a button that he shouldn't have, but yeah you are probably right

Top 3 positions gets you a decent chunk of change. Is splitting GC money to the other 8 riders still a thing? If that's the case I assume Froome must get a very nice win bonus?

1 Team Sky €599,240

2 Ag2r La Mondiale €247,140

3 Movistar €229,350

4 Tinkoff €189,470

5 Orica-BikeExchange €158,810

6 BMC Racing Team €121,170

7 Lotto Soudal €90,860

8 Team Dimension Data €88,590

9 Etixx-QuickStep €87,610

10 Team Katusha €68,500

11 IAM Cycling €67,230

12 Lampre Merida €61,900

13 Team Giant Alpecin €51,570

14 Astana Pro Team €39,430

15 Bora-Argon 18 €32,730

16 Direct Energie €29,290

17 FDJ.fr €27,870

18 Trek-Segafredo €26,360

19 Cofidis, Credit Solutions €22,760

20 Team Lotto NL-Jumbo €21,750

21 Fortuneo-Vital Concept €20,120

21 Cannondale Drapac Team €14,100

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Chris Froome is a fabulous sportsman isn't he esp in this age of flash jacks..modest, intelligent, articulate, humble

pity more sports stars aren't like him, Ronaldo Conor McGregor, Usain Bolt are you watching?

philstar wrote: »

pity more sports stars aren't like him, Ronaldo Conor McGregor, Usain Bolt are you watching?

Hardly!

There are plenty of elite sports people who aren't total muppets

Top 3 positions gets you a decent chunk of change. Is splitting GC money to the other 8 riders still a thing? If that's the case I assume Froome must get a very nice win bonus?

The three or four million a year salary will probably do it. Isn't prize money split amongst the team including back room staff?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    The three or four million a year salary will probably do it. Isn't prize money split amongst the team including back room staff?

That's what I was asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

That's what I was asking.

Yes it is, prize money is shared out among the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Really enjoyed this years tour and I take my hat off to Froome what a cyclist and true gent, remember all the crap he got last year then the year before that falling off his bike twice before having to give up on a rainy day. He still doesn't get the credit in the UK he deserves. He should have won the 2012 tour too but went back to help Wiggins on that mountain stage.

I'm not a proper cycling fan but one thing that really spoiled this years viewing was no Nicolas Roche. Has he not been producing the goods this year? Also does that mean Team Sky will offload him at the end of the season? I hear they've got a budget of €28million to play with.

I hope to god he's on the team for the Vuelta, he normally does well in that grand tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

golfer555 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this years tour and I take my hat off to Froome what a cyclist and true gent, remember all the crap he got last year then the year before that falling off his bike twice before having to give up on a rainy day. He still doesn't get the credit in the UK he deserves. He should have won the 2012 tour too but went back to help Wiggins on that mountain stage.

I'm not a proper cycling fan but one thing that really spoiled this years viewing was no Nicolas Roche. Has he not been producing the goods this year? Also does that mean Team Sky will offload him at the end of the season? I hear they've got a budget of €28million to play with.

I hope to god he's on the team for the Vuelta, he normally does well in that grand tour.

SKY budget ia 35 million euros

SKY is not off loading Nico but he is leaving and as I thought he is probbaly going to BMC to his friend Richie Porte

Not sure if he will lead Vuelta but will ride and expect him to have good form

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Prize money breakdown for the top 10 here, €7,600 for Dan. Didn't realise the white jersey gets €600 for each day they wear it.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2653761-tour-de-france-2016-prize-money-purse-payout-distribution-for-final-standings#

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Prize money breakdown for the top 10 here, €7,600 for Dan. Didn't realise the white jersey gets €600 for each day they wear it.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2653761-tour-de-france-2016-prize-money-purse-payout-distribution-for-final-standings#

€7,600 for Dan for 21 days and placing 9th. A mere pittance compared to other top level sporting events. A grand tour is akin to a Golf / Tennis major. A first round loser at Wimbledon gets £30,000. Second round loser £50,000!

Ok. Expensive to organise - logistics cost would be huge but ASO have top sponsors. I wonder how much money is going to ASO?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is that €7,600 for Dan then split between all his team mates (as per normal GT tradition)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Was never sure how well Kelly and LeMond got on in recent years....

Check out @EurosportUKTV's Tweet: https://twitter.com/EurosportUKTV/status/757228605155872768?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Is that €7,600 for Dan then split between all his team mates (as per normal GT tradition)?

I very much doubt that they ride the Tour for the prize money. On top of his GC placing, there would be prize money for Dan's high placings on individual stages and likewise for Kittel and others like Allaphilipe who got a 2nd on one stage (I think?), so as far as I recall is all pooled and then split, perhaps 20 ways when you include soigneurs, DS's, drivers etc. It amounts to very little. Someone posted a breakdown of the individual divvy from one rider from a race earlier this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Doc07

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    €7,600 for Dan for 21 days and placing 9th. A mere pittance compared to other top level sporting events. A grand tour is akin to a Golf / Tennis major. A first round loser at Wimbledon gets £30,000. Second round loser £50,000!

Ok. Expensive to organise - logistics cost would be huge but ASO have top sponsors. I wonder how much money is going to ASO?

Prize money is not impressive but for context, there is no salary in tennis or golf so the higher the risk the higher the reward.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

But Dan is on a wage from a team. What tennis player or golfer is in the same position? Their winnings are their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Just catching up on some of the backstage pass videos there. Seems to be a great attitude and spirit in the Orica team. Delighted they did so well in the Tour. Also v funny listening to Chris JJ and his Wicklow accent!

• Advertisement
Advertisement