Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to study History?

Options
  • 01-06-2016 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

I pretty much just read straight through, rinse and repeat but I'm realizing that's a terrible method for History.
    What's the best way to study for history? Doing the review questions at the end of the section? Doing essays?

I always think note-taking is too time consuming and a waste of energy. Do you guys have any notes or good links? Thanks. We're all gonna make it:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 KaTEA

leavingcerthistory.net is great for notes, sample essays, and topic overviews

What I personally do is make out essay plans with the main points to include. In the exam i will be able to rewrite the plan, and the info will come to me then, worked in my pre.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

KaTEA wrote: »
    What I personally do is make out essay plans with the main points to include.

This tends to work well.

Index cards (or just a notebook, doesn't really matter) with

Topic
    • Point 1
    • Point 2
    • Point 3
    • Point 4
    • Point 5
    • Point 6
    • Point 7

Ideally, "points" should be 1/2 words just reminding you of that point, not a big paragraph.

That way, as you get nearer the date, you can revise in a 2-tier way ....

1) Glance down through your points, taking a moment to mentally review what you need to say for that point / that you have the back-up information at your finger-tips

2) For each topic, check that you can remember the points without looking

(That's one advantage of index cards for 2) above, you can have the topic name on reverse side of card.)

Advertisement