Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ilovelimerick.com

• 01-06-2016 8:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Is this funded or volunteer run?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

AFAIK it is completely voluntary, a lot of the photographers are students.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Good to hear
    Just wondering was it getting into paid blogging posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

Someone should release an app or browser extension that removes Richard Lynch's mug from their photographs.

Someone should release an app or browser extension that removes Richard Lynch's mug from their photographs.

Not a very helpful post

bigpink wrote: »
    Not a very helpful post

If you want help look at their website.

http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/about/

Send them an email or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

For the criticism Richard gets, and I wouldn't be a fan by any means, he's not a bad fella - he does a lot of charity work and always tries to put a positive spin on Limerick and what events are going on as much as he can. At least he got up off his arse and did something proactive

I like it but just noticed some posts lately seemed more like plugs

bigpink wrote: »
    I like it but just noticed some posts lately seemed more like plugs

That's pretty much what they do though? Plug businesses, events and the like.

Richard has carved out a nice career for himself doing that, I don't blame him.

He's just an awful camera whore though :D

Yes but is it becoming paid plugging
    Getting into pro blogget area then

I doubt he does it all for charity.

Mother Richard of Limerick he aint. :D

But I can't give you a definitive yes on that. Are you interested in contributing and looking to be paid or are you interested in paying them to plug something for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Makes me cringe. What a gob****e.

Liked the community side of the site but deffo has changed direction but i guess its his brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I think the fact he seems so vain can be a little grating. But I guess others like Celia Holman Lee are much the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

He's so vain, he probably thinks this thread is about him....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

It's a vanity publication. It thrives in proportion to the vanity of its users, more inexhaustible than any one man's.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

Richard Lynch has never made a cent off I Love Limerick. He has given up a huge amount of time and effort over the years to do something positive for the city and I for one wouldn't hear about a fraction of the things that have gone on or are going to go on in town if it weren't for him.

People are quick to jump down his throat because he's a bit eccentric and, I'll admit, a bit much for some people but having seen him in action a few times over the past year my opinion has changed from begrudging him and thinking he's a dope to having a huge amount of respect and admiration for him for what he tries to do for the place.

As far as I know he's trying to get a PR/event management company off the ground now and I wish him every success with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I think it's more than a little naive to convince oneself that Mr. Lynch started the ILL brand for altruistic reasons. Its primary function was obviously to get himself over as a personality. He has achieved that goal and more power to him for it.

The difficulty I have is that he's not being honest about that. He misrepresents himself as a man-of-the-people with purely selfless motivations. I am also led to believe that he may have misrepresented himself in the past as a writer/director/editor/insert skill set here, when his only genuine discernible talent (if you can call it that) lies in insisting upon himself; luckily for him, having 'neck' appears to be more vital than any other characteristic if success in Irish public life is your goal. Limerick/Irish people are disappointingly susceptible to the carefully cultivated Mr. Nice Guy personae, who harbour a pathological need to be liked by everyone.

Having said that, he now appears to be attempting to move into an arena that, in theory, maximises that 'talent'; a business in which insincerity doesn't appear to be a problem. Good luck to him. Striking out on your own, in any medium, is extremely tough. Luckily he can rely on the myriad connections he's made during his time with ILL to boost his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wigsa100

AlanOB wrote: »
    I think it's more than a little naive to convince oneself that Mr. Lynch started the ILL brand for altruistic reasons. Its primary function was obviously to get himself over as a personality. He has achieved that goal and more power to him for it.

The difficulty I have is that he's not being honest about that. He misrepresents himself as a man-of-the-people with purely selfless motivations. I am also led to believe that he may have misrepresented himself in the past as a writer/director/editor/insert skill set here, when his only genuine discernible talent (if you can call it that) lies in insisting upon himself; luckily for him, having 'neck' appears to be more vital than any other characteristic if success in Irish public life is your goal. Limerick/Irish people are disappointingly susceptible to the carefully cultivated Mr. Nice Guy personae, who harbour a pathological need to be liked by everyone.

Having said that, he now appears to be attempting to move into an arena that, in theory, maximises that 'talent'; a business in which insincerity doesn't appear to be a problem. Good luck to him. Striking out on your own, in any medium, is extremely tough. Luckily he can rely on the myriad connections he's made during his time with ILL to boost his chances.

Fair enough, however given the torment he was subjected to being gay and growing up in Limerick when he did, the easy thing for him to do would be to turn his back on such a backward, intolerant place and head off to Dublin or London.

Instead, he has gone out of his way to give Limerick as good an image as possible when too many people(locals and not) are happy to **** all over it and whinge all the time.

I'm not denying that he gets something out of it. However I think his intentions have largely been good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

It's negative attitudes like some people in this thread that hold Limerick back. I met Richard Lynch when I moved to Limerick going on 10 years. When I've run events, done something for my sports club, anything, he's always been amazing about providing coverage. He does not ask anyone for payment to write articles, share blogs etc.. for anyones events. He's often organised a camera crew, photographers and gotten coverage in the paper. I know multiple student photographers who've volunteered and he's helped make them, given them experience as volunteers on the site, trained them in PR etc... It's an amazing crew of people. He's done more for Limerick than almost anyone I know. If the naysayers on this thread ever (decided to get up off their arses and create something for Limerick and) needed help getting ANYTHING off the ground in Limerick, even with your negativity, he'd still share them and help you out.

Now if someone runs a blog voluntarily for 10 years, I for one hope at some time that decade of work pays off and they get a profit out of it. But no, that isn't the direction Richard has taken. The best part is, he probably wouldn't give two ****s about the naysayers, here or anywhere, because when you've got someone promoting a positive agenda, you'll always have the bitches. He gets that's part of life, from my experience of knowing him, people like that aren't even on his radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

louloumc89 wrote: »
    It's negative attitudes like some people in this thread that hold Limerick back. I met Richard Lynch when I moved to Limerick going on 10 years. When I've run events, done something for my sports club, anything, he's always been amazing about providing coverage. He does not ask anyone for payment to write articles, share blogs etc.. for anyones events. He's often organised a camera crew, photographers and gotten coverage in the paper. I know multiple student photographers who've volunteered and he's helped make them, given them experience as volunteers on the site, trained them in PR etc... It's an amazing crew of people. He's done more for Limerick than almost anyone I know. If the naysayers on this thread ever (decided to get up off their arses and create something for Limerick and) needed help getting ANYTHING off the ground in Limerick, even with your negativity, he'd still share them and help you out.

Now if someone runs a blog voluntarily for 10 years, I for one hope at some time that decade of work pays off and they get a profit out of it. But no, that isn't the direction Richard has taken. The best part is, he probably wouldn't give two ****s about the naysayers, here or anywhere, because when you've got someone promoting a positive agenda, you'll always have the bitches. He gets that's part of life, from my experience of knowing him, people like that aren't even on his radar.
    So are you one of the fortunate people that have been pictured with Richard in the Limerick Chronicle. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Lol that was funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Just have a look at the video that was done for the "minute's silence" for the Florida nightclub victims. It's wrong on many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

seachto7 wrote: »
    Just have a look at the video that was done for the "minute's silence" for the Florida nightclub victims. It's wrong on many levels.

Link? Quickly flicked through two videos related to it and didn't find them bad despite not being his biggest fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

"Richards motto is 2+2=7, as the combination of what RichardKnows and who RichardKnows adds to an explosion of ideas, creativity and real results for your business."

LOL, take your head out out of your arse there Richard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭goochy

Is he the guy at house ? Also how is it doing?

Link? Quickly flicked through two videos related to it and didn't find them bad despite not being his biggest fan.

You don't find this cringeworthy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwQJIRZrKtE

Almost get the feeling the video was riding the crest of a hashtag....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I wouldn't be a massive RL fan but I don't see anything wrong with the video tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

goochy wrote: »
    Is he the guy at house ? Also how is it doing?

I went in there for the first time on Friday last and it was very busy, got a table for 2 without reservation shortly after 7.00pm but by 8 it was chock-a-block. Nice spot and I def will be returning. BTW is is the same guy.

davo2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a massive RL fan but I don't see anything wrong with the video tbh.

A countdown with a mobile phone then and a roll call of victims. FFS like....

Why doesn't he have minute silence meetings for victims in Turkey, Iraq etc?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

seachto7 wrote: »
    A countdown with a mobile phone then and a roll call of victims. FFS like....

Why doesn't he have minute silence meetings for victims in Turkey, Iraq etc?

Possibly because he had a personal interest in an attack on members of the LGBT, rather than a more removed (though still awful) tragedy?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement