Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ilovelimerick.com

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Maybe. I just saw it as completely pointless and irrelevant.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It looks like a lot of people were there, so hopefully some of them took something positive out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

davo2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a massive RL fan but I don't see anything wrong with the video tbh.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

seachto7 wrote: »
    A countdown with a mobile phone then and a roll call of victims. FFS like....

Why doesn't he have minute silence meetings for victims in Turkey, Iraq etc?

People organise events for various reasons, just very they do something to mark one tragedy doesn't mean they should/must do one for another.

No, but it just felt very wrong to me anyways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

wigsa100 wrote: »
    Fair enough, however given the torment he was subjected to being gay and growing up in Limerick when he did, the easy thing for him to do would be to turn his back on such a backward, intolerant place and head off to Dublin or London.

He did he went to the USA for about 20-25 years.

Richard is a great guy. Who cares about his reasons for running the blog. It shines a good light on Limerick so it must be good.

As for the video ya i agree it was weird as F!! Richard actually reminded me of Will Ferrell in it. Was so awkward. But hey they were showing support for a tragedy so again good on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

davo2001 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a massive RL fan but I don't see anything wrong with the video tbh.

Yea lads I definitely agree that there's nothing wrong with that video as I actually organised that vigil with Richard. People wanted to show support and solidarity, look around at the crowd of people showed up at such short notice to show support.
    A countdown with a mobile phone then and a roll call of victims. FFS like....

Why doesn't he have minute silence meetings for victims in Turkey, Iraq etc?

Oh man this reminds me so much of this Tweet. Love to know how many vigils you've organised for the victims in Turkey, Iraq etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Oh man this reminds me so much of this Tweet. Love to know how many vigils you've organised for the victims in Turkey, Iraq etc?

Love Emma Langfords response to that tweet!She is fast becoming one of my fave Limerick people

Yea lads I definitely agree that there's nothing wrong with that video as I actually organised that vigil with Richard. People wanted to show support and solidarity, look around at the crowd of people showed up at such short notice to show support.

"Her reply was priceless". Sorry but I'm not engaging in click bait. "Trump You Gowl" and its style is also lifted from a similar idea with bags a few years back.

If I did organise a vigil, I wouldn't see the need to put it online.

"People wanted to show support and solidarity" . Who were these people, and why were they suddenly compelled to show support for one particular tragedy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Made this post elsewhere on a similar topic, seems germane here also.
    The one thing you'd have to say for the "sure we can't even look after our own homeless, how can we take in refugees" argument is that it's invariably made my people who wouldn't cross the road to help our homeless either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

If I did organise a vigil, I wouldn't see the need to put it online.

:confused: That's the whole point of a vigil.

One of the best aspects of social media is that people living thousands of miles away can show their support and solidarity to those in other countries. A vigil may seem like a futile gesture but in many circumstances it's all we can do to show respect and tribute when we see heinous hate crimes in other parts of the world. Vigils like this are also a powerful reminder or what we will and won't tolerate in our own country as well as providing a sense of community among what is often a very marginalised group.

fair enough

panda100 wrote: »
    Love Emma Langfords response to that tweet!She is fast becoming one of my fave Limerick people

She is great in fairness :)
    "Her reply was priceless". Sorry but I'm not engaging in click bait. "Trump You Gowl" and its style is also lifted from a similar idea with bags a few years back.

Yes the heading is designed to make you click on the picture. I wanted to give some publicity to a very funny bit of social banter for Emma, who's a mate, and it worked...and in fairness the thread was completely hilarious. In short, some twat gave out to her for protesting, and suggested (as you have to me) that she focus her good deeds elsewhere, somewhere they found to be more appropriate.

This person was also unable to give examples of the vigils/protests/fundraisers they did themselves, just a keyboard warrior who liked to shoot down people who were actively involved in organising or promoting these types of events. Which is funny, because that's basically the idea behind this whole thread bashing I love Limerick.

It's so easy to bitch negative comments folks, a lot harder to get up off the sofa and do something positive.
    panda100 wrote: »
    :confused: That's the whole point of a vigil.

One of the best aspects of social media is that people living thousands of miles away can show their support and solidarity to those in other countries. A vigil may seem like a futile gesture but in many circumstances it's all we can do to show respect and tribute when we see heinous hate crimes in other parts of the world. Vigils like this are also a powerful reminder or what we will and won't tolerate in our own country as well as providing a sense of community among what is often a very marginalised group.

Well said Panda. It's good to know for every negative there's a positive. Anything promoting what we won't tolerate is important.

Removed By MarkR

Nah I'd say he just has a boards account where he passively aggressively attacks people, and tries to defame and accuse them. Oh woops, no that's you.

You're moving into very dangerous territory bud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Interesting, got any proof to backup that claim?

It's so easy to bitch negative comments folks, a lot harder to get up off the sofa and do something positive.

How do you know who we are? We might be alot more than keyboard warriors some of us might actually do loads for the community we just may not need all the social media approval for doing it.

Stab*City wrote: »
    How do you know who we are? We might be alot more than keyboard warriors some of us might actually do loads for the community we may not just need all the social media approval for doing it.

Dude wasn't saying about you at all. Your comments were very fair, that was at Seachto7 who said we should organise vigils for Iraq etc... basically shooting us down for organising a vigil, when there's no need to shoot it down. Like you said, there was a big crowd and no matter what someone thinks of the concept, people would have taken positives and the awareness was good.

It's not you, but some people constantly moan, and moan, and never do anything, and there's plenty of them. I've asked Seachto what he's done for Iraq etc... since he thinks we should be organising something, and crickets. Hence, it's so easy to shoot Richard down for doing something, and telling him what he should be organising a vigil for, but it's a lot harder to actually go and organise the thing they think we should be organising.

Nah I'd say he just has a boards account where he passively aggressively attacks people, and tries to defame and accuse them. Oh woops, no that's you.

You're moving into very dangerous territory bud.

Who's asking?

Dude wasn't saying about you at all. Your comments were very fair, that was at Seachto7 who said we should organise vigils for Iraq etc... basically shooting us down for organising a vigil, when there's no need to shoot it down. Like you said, there was a big crowd and no matter what someone thinks of the concept, people would have taken positives and the awareness was good.

It's not you, but some people constantly moan, and moan, and never do anything, and there's plenty of them. I've asked Seachto what he's done for Iraq etc... since he thinks we should be organising something, and crickets. Hence, it's so easy to shoot Richard down for doing something, and telling him what he should be organising a vigil for, but it's a lot harder to actually go and organise the thing they think we should be organising.

Well you did say this whole thread was bashing Richard, i just wanted to point out that i wasn't bashing Richard i know i did say he reminded me of Will Ferrell but that was because in fairness the event did look a bit awkward and he looked majestic and rehearsed in comparison!!

• Advertisement

Well you did say this whole thread was bashing Richard, i just wanted to point out that i wasn't bashing Richard i know i did say he reminded me of Will Ferrell but that was because in fairness the event did look a bit awkward and he looked majestic and rehearsed in comparison!!

That was it. It looked awkward, to me.

Do you have a source for this?

MarkR wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this?

I do, but let's leave it at that.

I do, but let's leave it at that.

If you don't cite a source, it can be construed to be defamation. Please expand.

Nah your post was very balanced. It's just there's obviously some people on here with a grudge, and the thread took a very shady turn as a result of. This mention of whatever past emails etc... As soon as I post on here, this Seacto person shares a video I'm actually in, of an event I ran with Richard, telling us we should have done a vigil to Iraq etc.. Very personal, and bitchy. There's just no need for it imo.

Feel free to delete my comments then.

A website with a similar themed name was set up a while ago. Some emails came out of the blue. I'm leaving it at that.

You can delete my comments/ban me, whatever you see fit.

Nah your post was very balanced. It's just there's obviously some people on here with a grudge, and the thread took a very shady turn as a result of. This mention of whatever past emails etc... As soon as I post on here, this Seacto person shares a video I'm actually in, of an event I ran with Richard, telling us we should have done a vigil to Iraq etc.. Very personal, and bitchy. There's just no need for it imo.

It's a video that goes on the internet. The results/feedback of which will be good and bad. That's the internet unfortunately. I'm out.

Original question answered, and we've trailed off into defamation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement