Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2016

Options
  • 01-06-2016 9:17pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Strangely we don't seem to have a thread for this this year, but have seen a few mention they are running.

Whose in? How is everyone set? Looks like it's going to be a scorcher. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Strangely we don't seem to have a thread for this this year, but have seen a few mention they are running.

Super, I'm marshalling - scorcher works for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I'm in. Not sure how I'll do but sure I say that every race. With the training I've been doing I feel confident enough but the weather could put a spanner in the works so we'll see on the day! It could go either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

I'm in but am expecting a dreadful day out. Training has exactly been...well...going...

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

I'm in too! Hopefully it won't be too hot! Not expecting much time wise for myself so just hoping to enjoy the day! And finish in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I'm in! In the fast joggers section this year! It's a great event and the atmosphere along the run is enjoyable, especially along the Stillorgan road and in Donnybrook where I find there are plenty of kids cheering you on!

But I'm starting to dread it a bit since the weather turned so fab. The thoughts of standing out in that sun for almost an hour before the race, then trying to run in the heat in a city. I did my last long run on Monday morning and the heat was serious and it was tough. I feel I've been putting in the work this last while, but I think the heat on the day will drain me!

Those firemen better be out in Donnybrook with the hoses! Disappointed they haven't been out the last few years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Everyone's afraid to start a thread because it always descends into posters going mad about the word 'marathon' being in it, capri pants, walkers, packets of Monster Munch etc :):)

I'm in! I love this race! It's on around the same time as Primavera music festival, so I've missed it twice because of that, but I'm in this year.

I had hoped to be in really good shape for it and to run a PB, but it's really only this week and last week that my ankle has been feeling 80-90% better (have been having issues since early March). I'll do my best though! I'm a bit worried about the heat, but the Terenure 5 Mile last month was warm and I did ok there, so fingers crossed!

Good luck everyone running, and thanks to everyone marshalling!

I heard monster munch and got here as fast as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Everyone's afraid to start a thread because it always descends into posters going mad about the word 'marathon' being in it, capri pants, walkers, packets of Monster Munch etc :):)

you left out the blatant sexism :eek: of a race without men :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

RayCun wrote: »
    you left out the blatant sexism :eek: of a race without men :pac:

Nooooooooooo, the real problem here is the name of the event. I've asked for it to be changed but surprisingly I didn't receive a response.

Also the posters who I thought were male but are here and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Those firemen better be out in Donnybrook with the hoses! Disappointed they haven't been out the last few years.

They only hang around for three hours or so. You prob missed them.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

Last year it was raining, so they didn't bother, but they were there in 2014. Fingers crossed they're out! Also, there were loads of kids with water pistols at the UCD flyover in 2014, which was nice and refreshing!

aquinn wrote: »
    Nooooooooooo, the real problem here is the name of the event. I've asked for it to be changed but surprisingly I didn't receive a response.

Also the posters who I thought were male but are here and running.

:):)

For anyone that's done it before, any tips on the route? Is there any big hills or climbs or tough sections? Never done over 5km race before so getting worried!

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    For anyone that's done it before, any tips on the route? Is there any big hills or climbs or tough sections? Never done over 5km race before so getting worried!

The toughest section for me is the long in and out stretch from 4k to 6.5k. It seems never ending! But my trick is to not look too far ahead and before I know it I've hit the turn and I'm on my way back to town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

FIFA2004 wrote: »
    In fairness the route isn't too bad. The first km is quite congested with groups of walkers strolling 5 abreast! Try not to start out too fast at the start. Try not to waste too much energy weaving about trying to avoid the walkers and the groups of slower people, you'll tire yourself out and you won't really get much further. Just go with the flow. I learned last year to seek out someone going a similar pace to myself and slotting in behind them! I find the crowd has thinned out a bit by 2km and you can begin to get into your own pace then.

There isn't really any hills as such on the course. I find the climb at 4.5km and 6.5km as you come up from under the UCD flyover to be tough. I actually think there little climb as you go from Morehampton Rd onto Leeson Street up as far as the canal. But maybe it's just cos tiredness is setting in at that stage.

There are great supporters along the route! Plenty of kids cheering and giving hi-5's! There is a band or a singer at each km marker. I sometimes feel teary when I look at some people's t-shirts doing the WMM in memory of a loved one.

It really is an enjoyable race (bit of an oxymoran there!) but the crowds and the atmosphere do really make it!

The toughest section for me is the long in and out stretch from 4k to 6.5k. It seems never ending! But my trick is to not look too far ahead and before I know it I've hit the turn and I'm on my way back to town.

Also, remind yourselves that by the time you turn you're WAY over halfway and you can just push hard all the way into town. The Leeson Street stretch is about 900m, but it doesn't feel as long because of the crowds.

Re the course: I like the route. There's a bit of a drag before you get to the dual carriageway (is it Nutley?) and then a drag up the dual carriageway to past the flyover, but then there's a downhill, and then you're on the home stretch.

There's music, and cheering crowds, and the firemen spraying you with water etc to keep you cool.

Enjoy!

Thanks Sunnydayz, helenAnne and tfgr! I was thinking I'd try go very easy for the first few km's and then try push on for the rest when I'm left with a distance I'm more comfortable with to go! Sounds like the congestion will help with that anyway :) looking forward to it now, have never done a race with supporters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No number swaps are permitted for this event.

No males are permitted to run in this event.

Good luck to all running on Monday. See you on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

robinph wrote: »

No males are permitted to run in this event.

I'd better not mention the laughs we've had at the race in the past, reckon these entrants are Nigellas and Thomasinas :D

I'm hoping to run this race Monday, but stupidly forgot to collect my number :o - and won't be able to get to the RDS tomorrow. I've made an appeal on facebook and hope somebody will be able to collect it! My own stupid fault :mad:

I love this race, I always start with the runners so it's a smooth run though I struggle at 5 - 7 kms. I never strive for PB here, I love the atmosphere.

Best of luck to You all here!

• Advertisement

PippaChic wrote: »
    I'd better not mention the laughs we've had at the race in the past, reckon these entrants are Nigellas and Thomasinas :D

I'm hoping to run this race Monday, but stupidly forgot to collect my number :o - and won't be able to get to the RDS tomorrow. I've made an appeal on facebook and hope somebody will be able to collect it! My own stupid fault :mad:

I love this race, I always start with the runners so it's a smooth run though I struggle at 5 - 7 kms. I never strive for PB here, I love the atmosphere.

Best of luck to You all here!

If none of your mates are around to collect it I'm going up to get mine this afternoon, just drop me a PM and we can arrange to get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Looking forward to this. Did it last year in runners section and got a 10k pb but have a feeling that this year will be a lot slower due to a combination of easing the foot off training since HM in march plus the heat- did 4k yesterday slow enough and the heat was a killer - prefer running in cold rain :) Hope the firemen are out!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've never been, but can anyone recommend a place to view along the route with somewhere to park nearby?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

mojesius wrote:
    Looking forward to this. Did it last year in runners section and got a 10k pb but have a feeling that this year will be a lot slower due to a combination of easing the foot off training since HM in march plus the heat- did 4k yesterday slow enough and the heat was a killer - prefer running in cold rain Hope the firemen are out!

Anyone know the reason for the delay at the start today?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

Well done all. Fantastic support en route.

As predicted, the hot weather destroyed me, much slower than last year. I thought the rain might be down for the race (optimistically) but it cleared up just before the start. I found it a real mental battle from 3-7k in the heat.

Anyone know why there was a 10 min delay to the start time?

Delay caused by a 'technical glitch' is what I heard the announcer say.

I PB'd by nearly 6 minutes but man it was tough. Weather could have done with switching around! If only it had been sunny before the race and rainy during! Great atmosphere as always, fantastic support and well organized. Kudos to all the volunteers!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Delay caused by a 'technical glitch' is what I heard the announcer say.

I PB'd by nearly 6 minutes but man it was tough. Weather could have done with switching around! If only it had been sunny before the race and rainy during! Great atmosphere as always, fantastic support and well organized. Kudos to all the volunteers!

Well done on the PB, I was a little slower than I had hoped for today but I think the heat definitely affected me. Not helped by the extra wait at the start.

I found the organisation a bit off today compared to previous years. Long queue for the baggage drop, which did not seem to be moving at all. I ended up running with my bag on my back - also did not help.

Ice packs at the end were great! I really needed that.

Well done on the PB, I was a little slower than I had hoped for today but I think the heat definitely affected me. Not helped by the extra wait at the start.

I found the organisation a bit off today compared to previous years. Long queue for the baggage drop, which did not seem to be moving at all. I ended up running with my bag on my back - also did not help.

Ice packs at the end were great! I really needed that.

That's unfortunate re the bag drop. I was lucky I guess and got there when there wasn't much of a queue. I did notice a lot of people running with their bags on their backs. Can't have helped in the heat!

Ice packs were awesome though it took me ages to get it working! :P

Really enjoyed this smashing weather for a run. The smoking at the start was a bit annoying. It was like being in a snug back in the 80s.

• Advertisement

Well that was fcuking horrendous. Seriously not able for the heat. That lovely rain before the start was just a touch too early for me.

The fact that I haven't been able to train really really showed and didn't enjoy it as a result and was passed out by quite a few joggers. No suprises there really.

Ah well. It is what it is. Hope you all enjoyed the day :)

Advertisement