Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's Mini Marathon 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I heard that the delay was due to water getting into the sensors or whatever they are in the starting line Matt. I'd imagine that was a stressful few minutes for the organisers having 35000 people waiting on you to fix it!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CassieManson

The toughest section for me is the long in and out stretch from 4k to 6.5k. It seems never ending! But my trick is to not look too far ahead and before I know it I've hit the turn and I'm on my way back to town.

I found this section really tough today it seemed that the turning point was getting further away as I ran. Was delighted when I finally turned towards town.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Had a great day!!! The heat was tough to cope with though! Thank god for the water stations. Thanks to everyone that volunteered or came out and supported! The support especially made the whole thing much easier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Spurred on by a shout-out of "Go marthastew" from the other side of the Dual carriage way I'm popping on here to say hello.... (thanks so much whoever it was)

Firstly, massive congrats to all who ran/jogged/walked/crawled today, a massive achievement in that heat! I know the rain before the start was a pain but conditions would have been way worse if it hadn't rained. I was happy for the volunteers and supporters that the sun came out but holy moly... I thought my head was going to catch fire, hot, hot, hot!
    My third time running this race and I love it! A super 10K through the streets of Dublin for €19, wonderful organisation and the support along the route is so brilliant.... what more could you want (well maybe cooler weather but we can't have it all). Very unusual for the start to be delayed and we had a bird's eye view of the head-shaking and worried looks at the side of the start line... I imagine the pressure was enormous! I also queued for a little longer to drop off my bag, I think the downpour threw everyone off for a bit.

Special thanks to the stewards on the last stretch including Firedance :) Cabinteely parkrun were lucky enough to nab a few spots marshaling today, a really fun way to fundraise for our parkrun and who better to cheer you home than parkrunners? :D:D Crusaders were also out in full force cheering us on at almost every junction and they certainly shaved a few seconds off my time. I had a really great run, finished in a heap so I couldn't have gone any faster. I'm well off my PB but I'm definitely getting back to myself after illness/injury so I'm thrilled.

What a great day, well done to all :D

Does anyone know when we can expect the official results to be available online? I can't remember how long it took last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Does anyone know when we can expect the official results to be available online? I can't remember how long it took last year.
    I think it's around midday tomorrow. Also published in The Herald tomorrow.

The toughest section for me is the long in and out stretch from 4k to 6.5k. It seems never ending! But my trick is to not look too far ahead and before I know it I've hit the turn and I'm on my way back to town.

I found this section really tough today it seemed that the turning point was getting further away as I ran. Was delighted when I finally turned towards town.
    I was the same. I found the climb from under the UCD flyover not as bad as last year but from then on I thought I would never get to the turning point it seemed miles away compared the previous years!!

Well done to all who took part today and thanks to those who marshalled. Got caught in that awful downpour in the queue for the bag drop area which wasn't as well organised as last year, myself and a few others had to skip through a bit as it was taking forever! Thanks a mil to the lady behind me with a big roll of black bin bags sharing them out in the rain!! Threw my sunglasses in the bag, sun came out at the start line!!
    It was a tough one out there, but not the intense sun from training this past week. Seeked out shade where I could. There were a few cool breezes but plenty of very warm air, I suppose that's city running for you, I run in the countryside.
    Km 5-6 was a toughie, I thought I would never reach the turning point at Fosters Avenue.
    Firemen in Donneybrook were well needed, I went right in for a good drenching!!!
    Think I got in a minute quicker than last year so that should be a course best for me, and a couple of mins off by overall 10km pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

Brilliant day out, great atmosphere (thanks Story Bud? for collecting my race number!).
    I had a disastrous run, my times are getting longer and longer while my joints are aching more - when I got home I realised I've put on 4kg in weight, so I'll watch what I eat for a while and walk in the evenings.

PippaChic wrote:
    Brilliant day out, great atmosphere (thanks Story Bud? for collecting my race number!). I had a disastrous run, my times are getting longer and longer while my joints are aching more - when I got home I realised I've put on 4kg in weight, so I'll watch what I eat for a while and walk in the evenings.

I'm really hoping that I sweated off a few kilos today. Would make it all worthwhile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭PippaChic

I'm really hoping that I sweated off a few kilos today. Would make it all worthwhile!
    Didn't think of that Cassie :eek: I weighed myself AFTER the run!

Anyway, diet tomorrow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Marthastew wrote: »
    Spurred on by a shout-out of "Go marthastew" from the other side of the Dual carriage way I'm popping on here to say hello.... (thanks so much whoever it was)

Firstly, massive congrats to all who ran/jogged/walked/crawled today, a massive achievement in that heat! I know the rain before the start was a pain but conditions would have been way worse if it hadn't rained. I was happy for the volunteers and supporters that the sun came out but holy moly... I thought my head was going to catch fire, hot, hot, hot!
    My third time running this race and I love it! A super 10K through the streets of Dublin for €19, wonderful organisation and the support along the route is so brilliant.... what more could you want (well maybe cooler weather but we can't have it all). Very unusual for the start to be delayed and we had a bird's eye view of the head-shaking and worried looks at the side of the start line... I imagine the pressure was enormous! I also queued for a little longer to drop off my bag, I think the downpour threw everyone off for a bit.

Special thanks to the stewards on the last stretch including Firedance :) Cabinteely parkrun were lucky enough to nab a few spots marshaling today, a really fun way to fundraise for our parkrun and who better to cheer you home than parkrunners? :D:D Crusaders were also out in full force cheering us on at almost every junction and they certainly shaved a few seconds off my time. I had a really great run, finished in a heap so I couldn't have gone any faster. I'm well off my PB but I'm definitely getting back to myself after illness/injury so I'm thrilled.

Well done MS and everyone out there today, crikey it was HOT! We may have had a little too much fun at our marshall spot at 9k with the band, spotted several Cabinteely parkrun regulars and gave Helen Anne an embarrassingly loud shout out, lucky for her the music was louder than me :D

Well done ladies, hope you have the feet up and the vino in hand!

I meant to post about this last night - did anyone notice at the gate into St Vincent's hospital a lady lying on a hospital bed at the gate waving to people. Fair play to her for doing that, I got all teary when I seen her. Don't know who she was or why she's in hospital but to go out that heat and cheer and wave on runners was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

I shaved almost 3 mins off last year's time which I'm delighted with given the heat! Found Nutley Lane ok this year compared to last year when I almost crawled up.

Struggled from 6km - 7km and 8km - 9km mainly due to the heat. The firemen were a godsend!

Great day out all the same & hoping that with a bit of training & a few more races I'll be able to register as a runner next year.

Well done to all who got out & did it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Marthastew wrote: »

Well done, O, you looked like you had a great run, and were smiling as always! Great to hear you're getting back to where you want to be. And you were a lovely calming presence as we all started to get anxious as the start was delayed. Thanks!

I'd back you up on saying it was very stressful for the organisers / timers when the start was delayed -- we could see heads craning from that VIP / photographer box at the start and messages were being passed across that they were re-booting etc! I'd say that's why they chose 'Under Pressure' as the start line song :).

That was a tough run in the heat, but I enjoyed it. I was taken very much by surprise by the start (none of that 'watch for the flag dropping, ladies,' starting ceremony we had last year!) and all my clubmates I'd been standing with hared away from me, but I got up to my own pace then and passed a few people and found a nice position, and then caught up with and passed two clubmates on Nutley Lane. I found the drag there ok, and I tried to dig in up to the turnaround and be inspired by the elites coming down the other side. Tried to pick up the pace coming downhill, and at around 8k noticed I was gaining on one of my clubmates. Was finding it very hot, but seeing my dad's friend (from Clonliffe Harriers) at about 7k and my husband at the bus garage kept me going, then it was just a few little drags, Leeson Street and then over the bridge and push to the finish. Obviously I was spurred on by the thought of the nice VHI relaxation area, as my last mile was my fastest.

Finished somewhere in the 50s, 42.40 (7 secs slower than PB), so was delighted!

Hung around for ages after, getting our photos taken on the podiums, using those ice packs etc. then met my husband and went to the relaxation area. Lying on one of those giant cushions with my free lemonade listening to 'Rains Down In Africa' was a great reward :).

Thanks to DSD for the organisation, VHI for all the facilities at the end, and to all the marshalls, volunteers and spectators, and well run everyone!!

:):)
    Firedance wrote: »
    Well done MS and everyone out there today, crikey it was HOT! We may have had a little too much fun at our marshall spot at 9k with the band, spotted several Cabinteely parkrun regulars and gave Helen Anne an embarrassingly loud shout out, lucky for her the music was louder than me :D

Well done ladies, hope you have the feet up and the vino in hand!

Thanks so much for the shout, A! I have to admit I didn't see / hear you at all! I saw & heard loads of other people along the way, but by then I must have been fixated on my hammock and lemonade I was looking forward to after! Did I look all crazy-eyed and despairing by that point? I don't even remember there being a band at 9k! I would say I heard you subconsciously and was spurred on :). V sorry I didn't see you & respond, and thank you!

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Firemen in Donneybrook were well needed, I went right in for a good drenching!!!

I didn't see the firemen!! How could I have missed them? Boo! I was looking forward to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

HelenAnne wrote: »
    :):)

Thanks so much for the shout, A! I have to admit I didn't see / hear you at all! I saw & heard loads of other people along the way, but by then I must have been fixated on my hammock and lemonade I was looking forward to after! Did I look all crazy-eyed and despairing by that point? I don't even remember there being a band at 9k! I would say I heard you subconsciously and was spurred on :). V sorry I didn't see you & respond, and thank you!

Don't worry at all, it was impossible to hear us with the music and yes, you were very much in the zone with that look I've seen on many occasions! Well done again :). I can't believe you missed the firemen though :D

Firedance wrote: »
    Don't worry at all, it was impossible to hear us with the music and yes, you were very much in the zone with that look I've seen on many occasions! Well done again :). I can't believe you missed the firemen though :D

I think they must not have been there -- I saw a photo of them in the paper and the whole road was wet from the hoses, I couldn't have been so in the zone that I missed that?

Sorry, multiple posts! I'm obviously over-excited about the WMM. Does anyone know where those podium photos can be found? Got on the podium with clubmates and would love to see how red and addled we looked after it!

• Advertisement

I actually went out and bought the Herald (I think it's the only time I ever do buy it). My name isn't in it! My surname starts CAL and there's nothing there and I doubt I was the only one with my surname running it! I had a quick glance before I had to go back to work.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I actually went out and bought the Herald (I think it's the only time I ever do buy it). My name isn't in it! My surname starts CAL and there's nothing there and I doubt I was the only one with my surname running it! I had a quick glance before I had to go back to work.

I saw someone on the WMM Facebook page say all the 'B's after 'Brennan' are missing from the Herald. they must have left out the early 'C's too! That's a pity! Results should be online today, though.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I saw someone on the WMM Facebook page say all the 'B's after 'Brennan' are missing from the Herald. they must have left out the early 'C's too! That's a pity! Results should be online today, though.
    My sister's name is in it though. Gawdamit I should have kept my maiden name!! :D

Did anyone avail of the message on the big screen function this year? My husband left one for me from my son, and I left one for another participant I knew who was taking part for the first time and neither of us seen our messages.

Website says the times will be up at 3:30.

It's the only thing that annoys me about this race, having to wait until after the Herald has sold a few copies

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fsfop

Results are now up. But my name and number isn't. What happens now? For some reason I mustn't have been clocked either starting or finishing. So disappointed that my results aren't there. Has this happened anyone else?

Mine's not there either so hopefully it's a glitch on the website & not a problem with the chip

Fsfop wrote: »
    Results are now up. But my name and number isn't. What happens now? For some reason I mustn't have been clocked either starting or finishing. So disappointed that my results aren't there. Has this happened anyone else?
    I'm the same and panicked too! But then I checked my sister's result and she's not showing either but her name is definitely in The Herald with a time as she's the only lonely one to have done the WMM yesterday with that surname!!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Fsfop wrote:

It's happened to me too, can find previous years results but not this year's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Fsfop wrote: »

I've just searched for three people and they're not showing up.

Perhaps that glitch was worse than originally thought?

Edit: Just noticed, only the runners who came in under 60 minutes seem to be up.

Advertisement