Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tennant's neice living in house no agreement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Is there really a point? You have a first hand character reference of her being a lier. Would you let a house to some who moved herself in and was basically implying her uncle was away for the weekend? OP has experienced that the niece is capable of lying with zero issue

& a proven track record of falling behind in the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Sleeper12 wrote:
    & a proven track record of falling behind in the rent

Of course but it's better to at least try to resolve the matter amicably than risk them overholding or damaging the property before they leave. The OP will have shown that they have at least tried to be reasonable with them in case it ever comes before the PRTB. ("My family and i have nowhere to go and will end up on the streets of this big bad LL throws us out whatever will we do, we can't afford to pay the rent!" ) Considering the bad advice the PRTB have been giving to tenants lately i would at least attempt to come to a mutual agreement. If they're disagreeable, get them out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

rawn wrote: »
    Of course but it's better to at least try to resolve the matter amicably than risk them overholding or damaging the property before they leave. The OP will have shown that they have at least tried to be reasonable with them in case it ever comes before the PRTB. ("My family and i have nowhere to go and will end up on the streets of this big bad LL throws us out whatever will we do, we can't afford to pay the rent!" ) Considering the bad advice the PRTB have been giving to tenants lately i would at least attempt to come to a mutual agreement. If they're disagreeable, get them out.

There is no issue of them 'overholding'- they are defacto squatting at the moment. There is no relationship between the niece and the landlord. The niece has no right whatsoever to be there.

Roll-on bringing it to the RTB- they are not a tenant- and thus not subject to tenancy legislation.

The big-bad landlord- is her uncle's big bad landlord. She is an interloper- with no relationship in law or otherwise- to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

There is no issue of them 'overholding'- they are defacto squatting at the moment. There is no relationship between the niece and the landlord. The niece has no right whatsoever to be there.

I understand all of that, but again, just because they're there illegally doesn't mean they'll be told to get out right away. Look at the thread on AH about the family squatting in Longford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Roll-on bringing it to the RTB- they are not a tenant- and thus not subject to tenancy legislation.

The big-bad landlord- is her uncle's big bad landlord. She is an interloper- with no relationship in law or otherwise- to the OP.

Regularising the relationship and accepting rent or other money from the niece is accepting them as tenants and should be avoided. they are trespassing and can be removed relatively easily, but if you give them tenant's rights it may take a couple of years to get them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 bigbird28

Update sorry for late reply lost my phone,the niece and partner are now my new tenants received deposit and one months rent which I took the opportunity to raise by 200 a month so far so good so thanks to all the nice approach seems to have worked this time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement