Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional master in education/PGCE in Physical Education

Options
  • 01-06-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey Guys,

I am looking to apply for the UL postgraduate course in the following months. Does any one have any information about the course or any tips that would increase my chance of getting on to the course. Is there any other postgraduate courses in Ireland that would allow me to become a physical education teacher. I am currently studying physical education in the UK, therefore I have little knowledge on the Irish system. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You will more than likely need a second subject in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rossighw

spurious wrote: »
    You will more than likely need a second subject in Ireland.

Yeah I have heard that it is very important to take on a second subject. My plan is to take one on after my postgraduate. Where could I go to get my second subject?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It depends what subject you want and whether you have credits in it already or not.
    What is your degree in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rossighw

The degree which I am studying is Physical Education. Biology/ Junior Cert Science or Geography would be subjects which I would like to teach as an extra subject. The additional modules which I have done so far in my degree are psychology in sport, sociology in sport, sports exercise physiology and nutrition in sport and exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Psychology modules may help you for teaching Social, Personal and Health Education (SPHE). You need 60 credits to teach any subject. Do you have 60 credits in social/psychology modules? You can submit your degree to the teaching council to be assessed if you think you have 60 relevant credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Psychology modules may help you for teaching Social, Personal and Health Education (SPHE). You need 60 credits to teach any subject. Do you have 60 credits in social/psychology modules? You can submit your degree to the teaching council to be assessed if you think you have 60 relevant credits.

And you're wasting your time if all you can teach is SPHE because it is used as a timetable filler in many schools.

Advertisement