Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whose responsibility is the TV licence?

Options
  • 02-06-2016 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

My lovely student tenants have just left for the summer and in the chat, it turned out that they do not have a TV licence for they TV which they brought to the house. Hypothetical question as they were not caught - who would receive the fine if a TV inspector had called - (a) me as the TV was on my property or (b) the tenants who owned the TV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

My lovely student tenants have just left for the summer and in the chat, it turned out that they do not have a TV licence for they TV which they brought to the house. Hypothetical question as they were not caught - who would receive the fine if a TV inspector had called - (a) me as the TV was on my property or (b) the tenants who owned the TV?
    Whomever gives their name to the inspector as a current resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I believe it to be the occupier of the property regardless of ownership of property or tv.
    If you both occupy the property, it is probably the students. If you do not have a tv already.
    If they have gone and the tv remains, it is probably you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The wording on a reminder letter says ' the correspondence relates to the TV apparatus held at X. .... If you are detected in possession of an unlicensed TV ....
    not really clear, is it?

Is the house now vacant? Has the TV been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Has their tenancy finished, i.e. they're not renting for the summer? Then you have possession of the property and the TV is your responsibility.

This works the other way too. People who move into apartments with TVs already there need to get a licence to cover them even if they don't own them or watch them.

• Advertisement

No, they have taken the TV with them - as I said, it was a hypothetical question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

No, they have taken the TV with them - as I said, it was a hypothetical question.

Hypothetically, if they're not living there and have left their stuff there, then you need to get them to take their stuff or get agreement to throw it out. If you keep the TV, you become responsible for it. That's my take on it anyway.

Best contact TV Licensing services to avoid all the notices of prosecution of next few months....

Hypothetical question as they were not caught - who would receive the fine if a TV inspector had called - (a) me as the TV was on my property or (b) the tenants who owned the TV?

They would have been fined.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

Thank you Jackie - the definitive answer to my hypothetical question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

They would have been fined.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

Rented accommodation

If you are a tenant living in rented accommodation with a television you must have a television licence. This applies irrespective of who owns the television (whether the television belongs to you or the landlord). The law states that anyone resident on a premises in possession of a television set must have a television licence.

Literally about to post this. Didn't have a "dispute" my first time renting, LL seemed just very unclear of the situation so I went and found out. In LL - Tenant situations, Tenants is liable for the license.

The license I have actually follows me around. When I've moved I advise of the move of address, and my license basically follows with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Is the house now vacant? Has the TV been removed?

I think if someone is even just staying for one there and they answer the door to an tv inspector will have to pay up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Best contact TV Licensing services to avoid all the notices of prosecution of next few months....

No need unless the notices are addressed personally to the op. If he happens to be in the house and answers the door then he can just show them that there is no TV.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My opinion would be :

If landlord provides a TV, then he is responsible. If the tennant provides and opens a tv subscription with Ntl etc then the tennant is responsible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

kceire wrote: »
    My opinion would be :

If landlord provides a TV, then he is responsible. If the tennant provides and opens a tv subscription with Ntl etc then the tennant is responsible.

Your opinion is incorrect. The residents of the house are responsible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Your opinion is incorrect. The residents of the house are responsible.

I stand corrected.
    Should have clicked on the link above
    Rented accommodation

Advertisement