Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Just passed the Theory Test

• 02-06-2016 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I passed the motorbike theory test last week.
    Reason for sitting the test was that I am starting a new job in July which will involve a longer commute that I'm not up to facing on my bicycle.

My original plan was to get a scooter but the more I think about it the more I feel that I should just get an actual motorbike (would fancy a few weekend spins too).

I have absolutely no idea currently about bikes and was wondering if anybody would have any suggestions on what type of bike I should be looking at.

Also, do I have to pass IBT before I can take my bike on the road? Have heard conflicting reports on this.

Aaron

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You should have some idea what style bike you like, you will get a much better idea when you actually do your IBT. I would suggest a CB500 or similar to start of with. Great bike and looks the part and ideal to start off on.

Yes, you need to have completed the IBT before you can legally ride on the road.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You need to get your learner permit now, and then complete IBT before you can get out on the road.

Best advice - go to a shop, have a look at different bikes, have a sit on them, and then work out what style you like. There is a massive variety in bikes out there, so take your time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Do your IBT on a school bike, they are usually yamaha fazers or suzuki gsr's etc it will give you a feel for a bike.

Then it's a matter of going out and looking at bikes, might be best to go to a shop and sit on a few and see how they feel etc.

Bikes for learners don't have to be expensive, there are loads of bandits and fazers that have a few miles on them for about 1K. If you really don't know what to buy, just buy one, drive it for a year and then you'll know what you want after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Thanks for the replies,

Awaiting my learner permit in the post. Applied for it as soon as I walked out of the theory test centre.
    I am looking at booking IBT for next week.
    I guess I will want to have my motorbike in he next two to three weeks.
    I'm assuming I have to do my IBT on an "A" category motorbike if I want to take an "A" category bike out on the road.

Regards,
    Aaron

yes that right, you need a A bike for an A test/licence.

I just used the instructors bike when I done my IBT, cost a few quid more but took the pressure off me looking for a bike I had no idea how to drive.

At least after the test I could go and know a bit about bikes and how to start it/ride it etc

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I can speak from personal experience that the CB500 is a great bike to start out on.

Plenty of power at sane speeds, light, handles well and extremely reliable.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    My learner permit arrived in the post just there so hoping to get my IBT done this week with ISM.
    I had called another IBT trainer but he was only willing to let me do IBT on an A2 category bike. I respect his opinion and reason given but I decided that itr would be best for me to get it done on the A bike.

In terms of buying my first bike, I would like to do that within the next two weeks. The CB500/CBR500 certainly looks appealing.

The best bet as already mentioned is to probably just sit on a few bikes and see how they feel.

What age are you?

You need to be 24 for direct access to A category.

When I rang about my IBT they never questioned me about my choice of categories. These guys are very good if you want to give them a shout. I didn't do my IBT with them but I wish I did, I did go to them for all my pretest brushing up though.

http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

Pugzilla wrote: »
    What age are you?

You need to be 24 for direct access to A category.

I'm 27

• Advertisement

slinky2000 wrote: »
    When I rang about my IBT they never questioned me about my choice of categories. These guys are very good if you want to give them a shout. I didn't do my IBT with them but I wish I did, I did go to them for all my pretest brushing up though.

http://www.aaronridertraining.com/

That's the first guy I called. Really wanted to do my IBT with them but said he would only do A2 which is fair enough.

I understood his reason given but I don't want to pay out extra to repeat the IBT later on with an A bike so I looked elsewhere.

Aaron

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That's the first guy I called. Really wanted to do my IBT with them but said he would only do A2 which is fair enough.

I did my IBT with them, and did direct A. No hassle over it at all.

Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I understood his reason given but I don't want to pay out extra to repeat the IBT later on with an A bike so I looked elsewhere.

Aaron

His reason is that he wants more cash out of you. Vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

Hi.

I booked my IBT just there with Irish School of Motoring.
    Doing it on 2nd and 3rd of July. Would have liked to have gotten it done this week/weekend as I'm on annual leave but it will have to do.

One step closer to getting on the road I guess. :D

Did you try http://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/ ? I got mine done there the following weekend I rang last summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

definitely do the A if you're over 24 no reason not to and it'll save you hundreds and the hassle of having to do the progression module in 2 years

Did you try http://www.leinsterdrivingcampus.ie/ ? I got mine done there the following weekend I rang last summer.

Same. Their closed course is good as well. Beats a car park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I started on a Hornet 250 and LOVED it. Such a great bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Congrats mardybumbum!

I am in a similar situation. Wanted to get a scooter (125-400cc) first but was advised against this. I thought it would be more practical with having storage space and in stop n go traffic (no gears).
    However I don't want to compromise on the fun part for weekend spins so I am getting a motorbike:D
    Will have my IBT on the last weekend in June so can report back then.

@slinky 2000
    Then it's a matter of going out and looking at bikes, might be best to go to a shop and sit on a few and see how they feel etc.
    What places do you go to as in Bikeworld there are signs on motorbikes saying that you are not allowed to touch them.......(
    Bikes for learners don't have to be expensive, there are loads of bandits and fazers that have a few miles on them for about 1K.
    Where can you get bandits and fazer for 1k in Ireland? I have searched donedeal, adverts, gumtree and most of them are advertised at least 2k+:eek:

Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

there are fazers up on donedeal for over 3k at the moment. Everything seems to be mad prices.

hornet 250, cheapest one up is 1250 euro, one is 3250.
    super fours 2 grand
    sv650s for 3 grand
    bandit 6s at least 1500 up to 3 grand

if there's a fazer for 1k at the moment it would be a restoration project

• Advertisement

Ok it seems like the last time I looked at fazers they where much lower in prices. I think I was looking over winter so maybe that was it. They seem to be at least double the prices they where.

I picked my 00 fazer600 up for 1.5k and I had my pick of about 5/6 for that price.

What do people reckon of the Ducati scrambler as a first bike. It looks like a lot of fun to ride.

What do people reckon of the Ducati scrambler as a first bike. It looks like a lot of fun to ride.

I would get an old japanese naked as your first bike like a bandit/fazer/hornet. You won't cry if you drop or scratch it. Get your preferred bike after you pass the test.

Though if you have the cash and don't mind the risk, then get whatever you want. Scrambler looks like a good first bike.

I think I'm pretty much set on the scrambler.

I know a lot of first timers will buy a cheap bike to start and then ride the arse out of it before buying a "decent" bike.

I'm lucky to have saved a bit of money and from all the reviews on line it looks perfect.

I'm going to arrange to test ride one at the Ducati dealer after I do my IBT.

Aaron

I know a lot of first timers will buy a cheap bike to start and then ride the arse out of it before buying a "decent" bike.

I'm lucky to have saved a bit of money and from all the reviews on line it looks perfect.

Aaron

just be aware that most learners buy a cheap bike because the odds of having a bit of scuff or dropping the bike are quite likely.

But I do agree the Ducati scrambler looks awesome!

just be aware that most learners buy a cheap bike because the odds of having a bit of scuff or dropping the bike are quite likely.

But I do agree the Ducati scrambler looks awesome!

I put a deposit on the scrambler full throttle today.

Carol Nash quoting me just over 1200

Aaron

Best of luck getting a test ride on a learner permit, most places tell you to shag off, never tested in ducati.

And, if you have the spons and want a nice bike, go for it. I was told I was mad buying a close to new bike after less than a year on the road, best thing I ever did.

Advertisement