Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 10 - Problems with Start Button and Volume Button...

• 02-06-2016 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

In the last few days, for some reason, when I left click on both the Start button and the Volume button, nothing happens.

I have to right click on them to use them. But, the usage path is then a bit more long-winded.

How can I restore these buttons to full functionality?

Many thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a known bug I've encountered with Windows 10.

Create a new user on the machine, reboot and log in as that user.

Then reboot again and log in as your usual user and the start button and anything else that was broken should be working for you again.

You can delete the extra user you created, if you wish.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've seen an issue with the search and start buttons acting up which was due to the Cortana app package being broken. Tediously, there doesn't appear to be an obvious fix for it other than "create a new user account and migrate your data across". Which is silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Askea

Got this off another fourm and you could try another mouse just in case first. The fourm is

windows10forums.com/threads/i-cannot-left-click-my-start-button-only-a-right-click-works-and-does-not-give-you-the-same-info.4203/
    User suggest it was davidhk129

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter > wait a bit until you see....
    PS C:\windows\system32>

At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this( please use Copy and paste to avoid typo) ............

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

Ignore any error in red.

When finished, try Start button again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Yes, I had both the Start button and the Volume control problem.

The above Command Prompt fix works in a jiffy.

I found it here> http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-fix-start-menu-in-windows-10-3623893/

D.

Advertisement