Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGuirks for Limerick

Options
  • 02-06-2016 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭

Not much in the way of golf stores in Limerick area so this should be good
    Looks like it is replacing the golf shop that was in the Castletroy shopping centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Not much in the way of golf stores in Limerick area so this should be good
    Looks like it is replacing the golf shop that was in the Castletroy shopping centre

And where ever McGuirks go.... no doubt Halpenny will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

anyone have a link where some pro in Limerick run auctions on golf items each week. Heard someone talking about but cant remember

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭jtown

jtown wrote: »
    anyone have a link where some pro in Limerick run auctions on golf items each week. Heard someone talking about but cant remember

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

So the store opened Sat. Strange this as I didn't see anything about it on social media or even their own website.
    Very low key and lads who went in said there were no real deals.
    You would have thought they'd be going for max exposure but hey what do I know

So the store opened Sat. Strange this as I didn't see anything about it on social media or even their own website.
    Very low key and lads who went in said there were no real deals.
    You would have thought they'd be going for max exposure but hey what do I know

Looks like they were listening :D

https://twitter.com/mcguirksgolf/status/740121490528604164

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

There was 20% off clothing all weekend

SEORG wrote: »
    There was 20% off clothing all weekend

They did a terrible job of advertising it. Their own website had opening soon right up until the day it opened. And only on twitter as of yesterday.
    Anyway tis open now and I'm glad. The area needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Called in to see the place yesterday and to buy some golf balls . Initial thoughts are positive. Staff were very friendly and store was decently stocked albeit not as well stocked as their Dublin branches i imagine. Super range of clothing including up to date adidas and under armour which i love! ! Custom fitting section is upstairs. Will return in future especially if there are any good deals to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

The manager there , Denise , PGA pro, Is a fantastic person, extremely friendly -professional and she will make an excellent of of that shop.

The fact that there was no dedicated golf shop in limerick city or surrounds for nearly 2 years is just crazy. Halfpenny may follow them, American Golf were meant to be opening in Limerick some time back, but something put them off, they may decide to now.
    Either way, the more the merrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭caddy16

Pleasantly surprised with the new shop, bigger than I was expecting, very good selection of clothes. Young staff but polite and very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Does this place do any business at all? I'd go to Hook and Ladder a good bit for lunch and only see the odd straggler going in there for a browse. The shop is nice but I can't imagine it's doing very well unless their weekend business is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I get the feeling that the location may be hurting them a little. If they had gotten into the crescent i reckon they would clean up

I get the feeling that the location may be hurting them a little. If they had gotten into the crescent i reckon they would clean up

Agree with this. Footfall in the Castletroy shopping centre minuscule compared to the crescent.

Maybe even a unit in the B&Q park would have been better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I reckon their extortionate prices are what's hurting them. The mark up on their gear is ridiculous.

€85 for a pair of adidas pants that cost £35 online. Anyone buying in their shops is just burning money imo.

Ya the shopping center in Castletroy must be on its knees.

Supervalu/Pharmacy/Hook & Ladder/McGuirks/Hairdressers. It could do with a River Island type store.

I'm fairly surprised brick and mortar golf shops are still around tbh (bar pro shops at courses themselves). They are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

I have called into the store twice now. The first time was a week after they had opened and they had very little left hand clubs in stock. I asked the staff member (who are very nice) could I hit a club and he told me that the fitting room was not kitted out yet but would be in the next couple of weeks.
    I called there again last week and the room is still not kitted out. I don't know of many golfers that would be willing to just buy a club without hitting some shots with it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

callaway92 wrote: »

I'm fairly surprised brick and mortar golf shops are still around tbh (bar pro shops at courses themselves). They are a rip off.

How are they a rip off? Can you give examples of rip offs?

A lot of places will do price matching these days or so I'm told

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Purchasing gear online is far away the cheapest means. Understandable getting fit for clubs is optimal but if purchasing off the rack, the likes of clubhouse.Co.uk etc is cheaper especially with exc rate now.
    Purchasing custom clubs, fine pay the extra absolutely.
    Purchasing off the rack clubs, very expensive but I can see the logic of to an extent but still wouldn't do it.
    Purchasing accessories in a McGuirks etc you'd want to be cracked, even on sale it's overpriced. I bought last year's Nike Lunars, 125e on sale in McGuirks, 110e on Nike website, 42e in Nike outlet.

How are they a rip off? Can you give examples of rip offs?

Every single exclusively online golf store obviously has their prices reasonable. McGuirks can't compete.

• Advertisement

brady23 wrote: »
    Purchasing gear online is far away the cheapest means. Understandable getting fit for clubs is optimal but if purchasing off the rack, the likes of clubhouse.Co.uk etc is cheaper especially with exc rate now.
    Purchasing custom clubs, fine pay the extra absolutely.
    Purchasing off the rack clubs, very expensive but I can see the logic of to an extent but still wouldn't do it.
    Purchasing accessories in a McGuirks etc you'd want to be cracked, even on sale it's overpriced. I bought last year's Nike Lunars, 125e on sale in McGuirks, 110e on Nike website, 42e in Nike outlet.

Spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Every single exclusively online golf store obviously has their prices reasonable. McGuirks can't compete.

Can you give examples of rip offs? Otherwise you're just using hearsay and conjecture.

A business needs to make money to survive. Making €50 or €100 on a €300-€500 driver or set of clubs is not ripping people off. The people who think they are being ripped off know the price of everything but the value of nothing

Can you give examples of rip offs? Otherwise you're just using hearsay and conjecture.

A business needs to make money to survive. Making €50 or €100 on a €300-€500 driver or set of clubs is not ripping people off. The people who think they are being ripped off know the price of everything but the value of nothing

Look at the post that I quoted above, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MJRXYZ

I have called into the store twice now. The first time was a week after they had opened and they had very little left hand clubs in stock. I asked the staff member (who are very nice) could I hit a club and he told me that the fitting room was not kitted out yet but would be in the next couple of weeks.
    I called there again last week and the room is still not kitted out. I don't know of many golfers that would be willing to just buy a club without hitting some shots with it first.

Has the fitting area opened yet?

Left the shop with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth today.

Usually hate shopping in McGuirks anyway, but I had a voucher from winning a work golf society outing. Originally I won shoes, but the guy running the society exchanged them for a gift voucher which suited me more.

In the gift voucher box there's the voucher itself and then the receipt for the exchanging of the shoes for the voucher. I fecking misplace the voucher part, but went into the shop today to get a couple of clothing items (couldn't find anything I liked so was gonna pick up my Dad two t-shirts) in there and mentioned I only had the receipt of the exchange now.

The guys (Denise and a younger guy...who were both sound) thought it'd be fine since they'd be able to locate the gift voucher number on their system. Alas they couldn't and I was out of luck.

Surely common courtesy and decency would be to just create a new gift voucher for me? Obviously Ts & Cs would state a lost gift voucher is akin to cash...no refunds etc, but for repeat custom going forward, you'd have thought they'd use sense.

Left the place very disappointed anyway.. Won't be going back for future business.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Left the shop with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth today.

Usually hate shopping in McGuirks anyway, but I had a voucher from winning a work golf society outing. Originally I won shoes, but the guy running the society exchanged them for a gift voucher which suited me more.

In the gift voucher box there's the voucher itself and then the receipt for the exchanging of the shoes for the voucher. I fecking misplace the voucher part, but went into the shop today to get a couple of clothing items (couldn't find anything I liked so was gonna pick up my Dad two t-shirts) in there and mentioned I only had the receipt of the exchange now.

The guys (Denise and a younger guy...who were both sound) thought it'd be fine since they'd be able to locate the gift voucher number on their system. Alas they couldn't and I was out of luck.

Surely common courtesy and decency would be to just create a new gift voucher for me? Obviously Ts & Cs would state a lost gift voucher is akin to cash...no refunds etc, but for repeat custom going forward, you'd have thought they'd use sense.

Left the place very disappointed anyway.. Won't be going back for future business.

Ah come off it - you lose gift voucher what were you expecting it ? Say If someone found it and brought in to shop next week ? What is the shop meant to do ?
    Mc Guirks in limerick a great shop - very helpful and very honest and fair in my experience

Ah come off it - you lose gift voucher what were you expecting it ? Say If someone found it and brought in to shop next week ? What is the shop meant to do ?
    Mc Guirks in limerick a great shop - very helpful and very honest and fair in my experience

Like I said..I thought the guys were sound. Just feel let down they couldn't produce a new voucher especially since I was dealing with the manager.

No need for the 'Ah come off it'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

In fairness I've shopped there a good few times and they have always been fair and very helpful and always prepared to do a bit of wheeling and dealing if you ask nicely.
    Good shop.

Tbh if I lost a gift voucher I'd consider it a loss I might ask the shop for help but if they cannot help I wouldn't be slating the shop on a public forum.
    Think that is pretty unfair imo.

I think 'slating' is overplaying it.

Again, I complimented the people working there and they were nice people. Just putting myself in their shoes, I'd be going out of my way to appease the customer, preferably by generating a new voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭SEORG

They can't just replace a lost voucher though. They have no reference number to cancel the voucher you misplaced. That's the normal procedure for any credit note, voucher etc.

You say you usually hate shopping there anyway so I'd say your repeat custom going forward most likely won't be an issue.
    Can't see why you think you should be treated differently on this but at least they tried for you. A bit harsh on the staff saying they could "use sense" when they have tried to help you but it out of their hands.

Advertisement