Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graphics card suggestion

Options
  • 02-06-2016 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. I'm looking for a new graphics card for about 220/230 (new, not cex)

Current graphics is radeon 6670 1gb
    Which gets about 40fps on source 1
    But can get as high as 60 or as low at 15

I want to be able to play games like the new tomb raider at about 60 fps on medium or farcry 4 on 60fps medium

I'm not looking for the best in the world

Computer model is advent Dt1412
    (Also if people are wondering why I Bought a prebuilt machine for gaming its because I got a fantastic deal on it at the time)

1920*1080 of course
    NEEDS A VGA PORT
    And a HDMI

I want one which is the best value for money
    (I would prefer to spend €150 for 55 fps than €220 for 60fps. Similarly prefer to spend €250 for 200fps. Than €220 for 60). Clearly making while numbers up here, but I think I make my point

Any suggestions...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For a decent upgrade you will also need a new power supply as the Advent one wouldn't really accommodate more than something like a GTX750Ti (which is a great budget card and three times faster than a 6670, if you want to go that route).

New AMD €200-230 euro card coming out very shortly will looks likely to set new performance baseline, so buying a current gen card for the same money would be a poor choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

For a decent upgrade you will also need a new power supply as the Advent one wouldn't really accommodate more than something like a GTX750Ti (which is a great budget card and three times faster than a 6670, if you want to go that route).
    Yeah I'm aware of that. I didn't want put it in the blur as not to complicated things.
    The minimum power supply for the PC is 400w and they put in a 405 w one.

New AMD €200-230 euro card coming out very shortly will looks likely to set new performance baseline, so buying a current gen card for the same money would be a poor choice.
    Any ideas of when its coming out , or link talking about it. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Is this your spec?
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/DT1412.htm

3 options:
    • Buy an Nvidia 750ti - €105. Save for a new machine.
    • Buy an Nvidia GTX950 - €140 + new power supply (PSU) - €40.
    • Wait for AMD RX480 (releasing end of June)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it's a 405w supply that's surprising for an Advent PC, it should actually be fine then for a GTX960 class card, probably even a GTX970 if it's not an absolute piece of garbage - might not have the necessary graphics card power connectors but can probably use a molex to pci-e connector adapter. Should be grand for a 480 as well.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Is this your spec?
    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/DT1412.htm

3 options:
    • Buy an Nvidia 750ti - €105. Save for a new machine.
    • Buy an Nvidia GTX950 - €140 + new power supply (PSU) - €40.
    • Wait for AMD RX480 (releasing end of June)

There nothing wrong with the PC. The CPU is still a lot better than a lot of things on the market.
    They aren't my specs. The graphics card is only 1 gb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'd be mad to jump now - hold off - too many new goodies about to land. If you can get someone to sell you a secondhand 970 at €200 - you both taking a punt - that's be the only sensible option at the moment IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

You'd be mad to jump now - hold off - too many new goodies about to land. If you can get someone to sell you a secondhand 970 at €200 - you both taking a punt - that's be the only sensible option at the moment IMHO.
    Even then, he loses out on warranty and the RX 480 is slated to beat the 970/980. Just wait and save I guess, as these are some exciting times for GPU purchasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Eoinmc97 wrote: »
    Even then, he loses out on warranty and the RX 480 is slated to beat the 970/980. Just wait and save I guess, as these are some exciting times for GPU purchasing.

I can't see it beating the 980 in DX11 titles. I expect even the 970 will be a mixed bag on anything that isn't highly optimized for AMD. Still I completely agree with wait and see but if I had to push the button now that'd be the only option for me - a 970 at a good price, warrantywise you should be able to find one under warranty.

Actually alternatively a 290/390 at the same price but that's an even bigger ask (390) and a bigger risk (290).

Thanks folks
    I'll wait a month or so and see what the 480 comes up with. I dont have an urgent need to buy one now. For what I play I could get away another 6 months or more. But at the moment I just have to do a bit of googling before I buy a game and turn down the settings.
    Its really the top AAA games I'm starting to become excluded from,but its not critical I go out to the shop today and buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

bpb101 wrote: »
    Any ideas of when its coming out , or link talking about it. ?

I believe the new AMD card is coming out at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
Advertisement