Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Returning Cycling Equipment (e.g. wheels) and Postage Costs

• 02-06-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭

Looking to send 2 wheels back to Superstar Components using the original box they posted them in. Weight is 2.8kg, dimensions 65x63x28 cm. They charged 5 stg for shipping.

Went to An Post and they would charge 40 including 5 for registered.

Rang Fedex and a one off costs 240 EUR

Got an one off approximation from TFT based on pickup, destination for a 1kg packet and it comes in at 46 EUR

There must be cheaper ways of doing this , anybody any suggestions ?

Superstar supposedly offer a free lifetime truing service, sounds good on paper but at these postage costs is prohibitive.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are you returning because you've changed your mind, or is there a problem with the wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

FedEx and other integrators charge based on volumetric weight which for a box with wheels in it is going to be huge

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Try here: www.envoy.ie

For transparency, this is a new service I'm involved with. Your issue (e.g. returns) is one of the exact types of scenario we're trying help out with.

Under 5kg to the UK should be €18+VAT.

(Mods, delete if you feel this is inappropriate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Thud

returned a helmet a while back was quoted €200+ by dhl, the €30 an post charged was good in comparison but still a good chunk of the value of the helmet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Dades wrote: »

For transparency, this is a new service I'm involved with. Your issue (e.g. returns) is one of the exact types of scenario we're trying help out with.

Great idea, best of luck.
    I just checked, am I right in thinking that sending a bike to U.K. would cost only €20.00 +vat?
    Apologies for going O.T.

Will check that out for you and revert via PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

conflict of interest here as I work for An Post.

rather than looking for a cheap option, look at a service that you can trace from door to door, if you go the cheapest route you may not be able to track the item and have no way to verify delivery with the recipient, whomever you decide to go with the rationale i'd suggest you use is, if something goes wrong what am I going to lose, the replacement cost of the contents & postage or am I covered for the whole shooting match?

Obviously the high end services for big euros will provide you with full tracking insurance etc!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

are you returning because you've changed your mind, or is there a problem with the wheels?

Problem with the wheels, want them trued

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Problem with the wheels, want them trued

Your local bike shop will do it cheaper than the cost of shipping them back to the UK.

Your local bike shop will do it cheaper than the cost of shipping them back to the UK.

Yes had considered that but while one wheel is only slightly out of tru a spoke popped on the other and it is quite badly buckled so it could be challenging for even a good mechanic.

Also my local bike shop is 30km away so unless I have other reason to go to town you could be talking about 120km and nearly 2 hrs of driving to get the wheels fixed. The LBS is good and I do use them but if the truing service works out it could be far handier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yes had considered that but while one wheel is only slightly out of tru a spoke popped on the other and it is quite badly buckled so it could be challenging for even a good mechanic.
    are they doing it as a warranty issue? if the wheels are faulty, you should not have to pay to get the issue rectified.

are they doing it as a warranty issue? if the wheels are faulty, you should not have to pay to get the issue rectified.

That's what I am expecting, I have 4 wheels from them, 2 bought in September and 2 in march and problems happened during course of normal cycling (as opposed to hitting a pothole for example)

Dades wrote: »

Just used this, with VAT comes out at 22. Couple of site suggestions

- Couldn't find a phone number on site which is always a little disconcerting
    - Only credit card payment (no paypal) and no indication that https was being used (may well have been but you couldn't see it)

If it wasn't for your post these may have been enough to turn me away and go with the more expensive parcel2go options.

Have sorted some of these - many thanks. :) Will elaborate via PM.

Advertisement