Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 World Cup of Darts

Options
  • 02-06-2016 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭

This kicks off tonight at 7pm so might as well get a thread going.

Standard won't be great in all the games but it's always an entertaining enough tournament I think.

England at 2/1 second favs are a decent price, Barney isn't playing great at the moment, MVG could have to carry them a bit.

Betway World Cup of Darts
    Schedule of Play
    Thursday June 2
    First Round x8

Hungary v Thailand
    USA v Philippines
    Norway v Gibraltar
    Denmark v Sweden
    Belgium v Poland
    Scotland v New Zealand
    Netherlands v Russia
    Australia v Germany

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ko king

surley theres good value in scotland at 5/1 with both players in good form

• Registered Users Posts: 11,277 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not sure if you know Thornton is playing instead of Wright.

Anderson and Wright would have had a great chance.
    Thornton hasn't been great the last six months.

Standard was pretty shocking tonight, only 3 of the 16 teams averaged over 90!!!

New Zealand were one of those in their defeat to Scotland, were 3-1 up at one stage as well. Can count themselves unlucky. Would have hammered most other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ko king

no i did not know thornton was in. he was rubbish. Klassen should have played for holland and they would have walked it. Cant see past england now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

ko king wrote: »
    no i did not know thornton was in. he was rubbish. Klassen should have played for holland and they would have walked it. Cant see past england now

Issues. Apparently MVG was going to withdraw if Klassen was selected on the team. Who knows what manouvering went on in the background but the upshot is that Klassen withdrew and the lower ranked RVB got the spot.

They've now subtly changed the rule from 'two highest ranked players' to something like 'two players selected by the PDC with due regard to rankings amongst other factors'.

Though it'll be interesting to see how it plays out if/when two of Lewis/Wade/Smith/Chisnall are ahead of Taylor at the time of selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

mdwexford wrote: »
    Standard was pretty shocking tonight, only 3 of the 16 teams averaged over 90!!!

New Zealand were one of those in their defeat to Scotland, were 3-1 up at one stage as well. Can count themselves unlucky. Would have hammered most other teams.

Anyone who ever suggests Darts in the Olympics should be made to sit through every minute of this tournament. As this is effectively the cast of players who would be contesting. Arguably it could be even a little worse as the Wales & Northern Ireland (and Gibraltar) players wouldn't be there so god knows who would be next in line.
    Not to mention a similar geographically spread 64 player womens tournament which doesn't bear thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ireland beat Hong Kong 5-4

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

N Ireland beat Japan and will play Ireland in round 2

Spain giving it a right good rattle here.

3-3 and 100+ average.

Crowd are pro Taylor tonight, they haven't stopped chanting the whole match!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The two best pairs in the final...no shortage of motivation for them...should be good.

Lewis badly off the boil.

Taylor is going to have to do it on his own.

Barney is carrying the dutch and Phil doing all the hard work for the English.
    If Taylor beats Barney it's hard to see Lewis beating MvG which would give the Dutch boys a win.

Wow wasn't expecting that.

Lewis pulled it out of the bag and beat MVG.

Some handbags after the game, think MVG was complaining about Lewis's celebrations?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lewis acted like a bellend during that final couple of legs. Lost all sense of any sort of etiquette. I'd have decked him.

Then he tells on MVG to Phil afterwards because MVG told him he was out of order like he was.

Pathetic.

It's a pity, as Lewis is a gent by all accounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭El Chapo

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wow wasn't expecting that.

Lewis pulled it out of the bag and beat MVG.

Some handbags after the game, think MVG was complaining about Lewis's celebrations?

Lewis was clearly trying to wind him up. Good to see MvG getting a taste of his own medicine. His was fist pumping 81s yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,258 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

El Chapo wrote: »
    Lewis was clearly trying to wind him up. Good to see MvG getting a taste of his own medicine. His was fist pumping 81s yesterday.

There's a difference between fist pumping 81s and taking 20 seconds to take your darts out of the board because you're too busy showboating.

It was a poor final match...Lewis was average..Mvg was very poor by his standards.
    I don't think Mvg can complain too much about Lewis milking it a bit.
    It wasn't Lewis celebrating it that lost it for him, it was his own shíte darts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Strange to see Mvg so poor tonight never got going,the two senior men were the best players for eithet team.

Nice tournament enjoyed the last two days that i saw especiallly the scotland v belgium game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

Messy final. I think Lewis is easily over excited, like a child who's had too many sherbert dip dabs, he's not the sharpest tool in the box either I don't think.

Shame because when he's interviewed away from the tournaments he seems like a nice enough harmless individual. MVG and Taylor can be quite unpleasant themselves so didn't make for a cordial final.

Belgians and Australians were my favourite teams in the comp.

• Advertisement

There was a leg in the final singles Mvg v Taylor and I don't think he hit a treble until the 13th or 14th dart.
    Been a long time since I've seen MvG so off the boil. I'm not a Barney fan but enjoyed watching him tonight.
    He did very well against Lewis though that wasn't hard and the doubles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

Think the short format (best of 7) makes for the poor averages. Players know they have to break throw rapid or not to be broke, nervous darts all the time.. The pairs seemed to be a better standard overall

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Wetwipe65

PS. Lewis shows his true colours tonight, he's a wanker, always has been

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Wetwipe65 wrote: »
    PS. Lewis shows his true colours tonight, he's a wanker, always has been

He is too stupid to see the difference between MVG fistpumping and him wandering around the stage for 20 seconds like a cabbage.

Sick to death of watching him crawl up taylors ass in the world cup aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

I used to like the fatpot years ago when he was younger,but now I cannot stand him and he's a very ordinary player these days as to the promise of a great player when he was younger and how he won back to back worlds I don't know that's a head scratcher.

But he's carry on v mvg was a disgrace it really was and he hits a 180 and goes off show boating for 30 secs or so etc he hasn't a brain to realise that mvg hits a 180 and gives a fist pump as he goes to collect he's darts.that is mvg by nature he doesn't run off all over the stage after a 180 or a 170.

And he runs to Taylor on stage to spatter crap about mvg when it was he who was the clown and Taylor pulled him back as he was heading over To mvg again.

I hope the meet in Blackpool and we will see that mvg will wallop him boooommmm.
    But then again fatpot ain't used to winning these days so there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Fatpot just got lucky mvg last weekend was as poor as I have seen him play.

Mvg should go boom to him look at the prize money I won this year 1.2million compared to aidey's 450k.

As they say money talks.

Fatpot, seriously what age are you muppets.

A very ordinary player who's top 4 in the world.
    Cop onto yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I missed this completely but the one thing I will agree with is that MVG's celebration antics (fist pumping, grimacing at the camera etc) get old very quickly during a match. If Lewis decided to play him at his own game then fair enough IMO

Advertisement