Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Potential buyer. A few questions

• 02-06-2016 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    So after getting a ridiculous renewal quote of over 2,5k for my 2001 mondeo I decided to get rid of the car altogether. I don't drive a lot anyway, the occasional trip once or twice a week to nearby town etc.
    I've always wanted a bike, ever since I was a kid I dreamt of owning a dirt bike or a quad. Now I'm a little older, I don't have a car and no other real expenses (still living with parents) and thought about getting a bike.

I do have several questions though:

I had an accident in the car (reason for ridiculous renewal) last year that is still on-going since the other car involved made an injury claim (guaranteed false, it was a fender bender at a parking lot) that will probably keep dragging on for months if not longer...
    Anyway, it was my fault.
    - Would this have an impact on my bike insurance quote or are car/bikes completely separate when it comes to insurance?

- Also I have 2 penalty points for going 8km/h (!) over the speed limit. I'm assuming this might also affect my total premium?

- Would it be best to go straight for A cat. learner permit if I'm 25? Would it make a difference for the insurance what cat. license I have even if I intend to start off with a <125cc bike?

I'm 25, male with now 1 year of NCB (had step-back protection so didn't loose all of my 5 years...) earned on my car.
    No A license yet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

This is a big bug bear of mine.

An accident in a car can affect your bike insurance. But 10 years no claims bonus on a bike wont mean jack when you go for car insurance. Similarly, your car no claims bonus is worth nothing when you get bike insurance.

If you just have 2 penalty points then you should not expect to be penalised. Be sure to declare them though.

The category of bike license you get wont make any difference. The premium is calculated based on whether its a provisional or full.

You might find that the quote you got for the mondeo is cheaper than a first motorbike insurance quote

Advertisement