Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to pay double rent?

Options
  • 02-06-2016 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

Hi. Just noted into a tuath property in knocknacarra, in Galway city. I had been on a long term lease with Galway city council and a private landlord. I paid my rent to GCC. Now yesterday my former landlord phoned me to say that GCC had asked him to receive a month's notice in writing from me. Now I'm already housed by tuath for the past week and am paying my rent. So I'm afraid I may have to pay on the double for the deux month. Any info appreciated. Cheers

Comments

You might be better off popping into Citizen's Information or Threshold and checking with them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Did you not give the landlord notice of your impending move?
    If the landlord is on the long term rental scheme with the local authority- the property will normally remain vacant- and you considered to be the tenant- until such time as the landlord supplies the local authority with written notice of your intention to leave.

Other local authorities may operate in a different manner- Galway seem to have unusual rules that they insist on.

Advertisement