Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Built in backup madness?

• 02-06-2016 3:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭

Win 7: Fully functional backup utility, perfect
    Win 8: Own bollox, Win7BU hidden
    Win8.1: Own bollox, Win7BU hidden more and later removed!
    Win10: Own bollox but Win7BU back and easily accessible.

What the hell are Redmond up to? File history is a turd and True Image has become equally poor over time. Why enable the feature on two of them but nuke it in the middle? Sure if its worth brining to 10 its worth re-enabling for 8.1? The mind boggles.

Any suggestions for a decent lightweight backup agent to push to an SMB share on scheduler?

Cheers,
    ED-E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

SyncToy works with windows 10 with a workaround supposedly. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f5fts/synctoy_equivalent_for_windows_10_program_to/.
    Always worked well for me on Win 7 / Server 2008 but I haven't tested on Win 10.

Otherwise, why not just robocopy script saved to batch file and added to task scheduler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Doesn't do a recovery image so not quite the same.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

They haven't re-enabled it in 8 because once 10 went to general availability there would most likely be no significant dev resource commitednti earlier versions, outside of security patches and bug fixes.

Also - I used to swear by SyncToy but there are some issues which, though unlikely to arise, can cause data loss with it so I'm wary of it these days. GUI aside, robocopy's way better anyway, IMO.

As far as backups that capture system state are concerned...I use True Image myself but my Win7 box is still on the 2013 version. I got a free licence for a newer version with a new disk recently but that seems to be flaky so I'm not using it.

Having said that - 7's backup agent is the same, broadly, as the one in Server 2008 R2. I have been able to script creating a system state backup directly to an SMB share for Server 2008 R2, so no reason you couldn't do the same. If you want you can create the backup locally and compress it with 7zip first to save on space (slows down the restore proces, obviously). It's not hard to add in email notifications as well. Then you just set a scheduled task to call the script on whatever schedule you want and away you go. If this sounds useful to you I can dig out the script I wrote, I'm sure I have a copy somewhere...

Advertisement