Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

custom build desktop randomly shuts down with no explanation

Options
  • 02-06-2016 4:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭

hi, lately my custom build desktop, about 3 years old, parts bought from hardware versand, has started randomly powering off, as in like the power plug has been removed, not shutting down.

Ive never had any major problems with it but now its happening with this problem. Its completely random when it happens, sometimes its within a few minutes of boot, and some times it never happens in a few hours usage.

Does anyone here have any idea what might be wrong? Could it be the PSU dying? Its a corsair psu and Im pretty sure its nowhere near being overloaded.

Also when it powers off, the power LED starts flashing if it helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RoughSleeper

I'm going to go ahead and guess it's a power issue because if it was overheating you'd hear the fans spin up first. The blinking LED is weird though. Mine only blinks when the computer if sleeping/hibernating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I'm going to go ahead and guess it's a power issue because if it was overheating you'd hear the fans spin up first. The blinking LED is weird though. Mine only blinks when the computer if sleeping/hibernating.

Yeah it's definitely not over heating as it's got four fans and is kept in a very cool and well ventilated room.

Advertisement