Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity Disconnection

Options
  • 02-06-2016 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Hey folks just a quick question.

Moved into a property and foolishly let the letting agency take care of sign up to a certain provider. First bill came around and was insanely high to the point that the only explanation would be that the letting agent had submitted the wrong reading at the initial stage. ESB happened to do an official meter reading the following week and we'd used something daft like 1000 units in a week followed by 900 in the following month.

Rang provider who told me there was nothing they could do so called letting agency and was told that I'd agreed to the reading as it was which i can't recall but is possible I didn't verify.

Anyway long and short was I decided to change provider and attempt to refer my old provider to the letting agency to sort it as I'm not paying it.

I've now had a call from the old provider threatening disconnection if it isn't paid. Given that I'm now with a new provider and am up to date on payments with them would this even be possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Your name is on the bill, so it's your debt. You can keep on with the letting agency but unless they agree to cover part of it, it's your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

I'm aware that legally it's my responsibility and I obviously shouldn't have blindly signed what the letting agent put in front of me. Question remains if anyone can help, can a provide apply for and disconnect your service assuming that service is now with another provider

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I believe the provider can contact ESB networks to disconnect you even if you've changed supplier, but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

For future reference when you move into a house. Get the landlord/letting agent to read the meter when you move in and get them to sign it. It stops issues like this

Advertisement