Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate of Pay State Exams

Options
  • 02-06-2016 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi, I just got word that I am superintending in an exam centre for the Leaving Cert Exams. Does anyone know the rate of pay and the millage given for the job? I know they struggled to get applicants this year and I want to know if it is worth my while doing it. I searched everywhere online for the circular, but could only find info relating to rates of pay for superintendents in special centres who are paid at roughly €56 per session.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moved from LC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Hi, I just got word that I am superintending in an exam centre for the Leaving Cert Exams. Does anyone know the rate of pay and the millage given for the job? I know they struggled to get applicants this year and I want to know if it is worth my while doing it. I searched everywhere online for the circular, but could only find info relating to rates of pay for superintendents in special centres who are paid at roughly €56 per session.

Are you SEC appointed ? Then a letter will arrive to you ASAP with rates of pay and travel and subsistence and instructions for superintendents.

If you are school appointed then it's the €56 per session with no mileage allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

If it's SEC appointed you'll probably get €90-100 per day into your hand, which includes travel, day allowances etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

are the travel expenses exempt from tax doc_17?

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    are the travel expenses exempt from tax doc_17?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It's €286 for day 1 to pick up the papers and set up your Centre

It's then €112 per day after that and you'll lose almost 60% of that to tax.

All taxable.

You are entitled to daily expenses of €13.70 for being away from home between 5-10 hours and €33.70 for over 10 hours

Mileage is also paid at state depending on your engine size

59.6c per km for 1.9L cars and above
    Two other bands I can't remember.

Superintending really isn't worth it anymore unless you get a school a decent distance from home/school

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Murfo498

Guys, anyone any idea re mileage etc? Am 90km from exam centre.
    Also is that 260 we get on the first day taxable? I also have to travel 120k to pick up the papers. Will I get mileage for that

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Murfo498 wrote: »
    Guys, anyone any idea re mileage etc? Am 90km from exam centre.
    Also is that 260 we get on the first day taxable? I also have to travel 120k to pick up the papers. Will I get mileage for that

The payment per day...including the first day...is taxable salary....and usc and pension related deductions etc

Mileage and subsistence are classified as expenses and not taxable.

Every mile driven from tomorrow*****(see next paragraph) when to leave home to get the papers is related to your appointment and you record it and list it on your payment form you will be given tomorrow and fill in when you finish the superintending.

You have a lovely amount of travel there...just be careful that the calculation of the distance you travel is not actually how far you travel but the shorter of the following distances.....from your home to the exam centre or from your school where you teach to the exam centre......whichever distance is the shorter

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Murfo498

Much appreciated advice. My home place is actually the shorted distance and still 90k each way. Have to drive 3 hours to collect papers so that will be nice mileage also.

I'm 10km from Centre from home address but only 5im from school.

It's a disaster.

Last year ever doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

I'm 10km from Centre from home address but only 5im from school.

It's a disaster.

Last year ever doing it.

These jobs are better off left for the young teachers starting off, or those not on full hours, tax won't be as severe.

Rightwing wrote: »
    These jobs are better off left for the young teachers starting off, or those not on full hours, tax won't be as severe.

Yeah.
    You're probably right.
    As
    I said, last year doing it, and, I only accepted as I was given a relatively short stint that doesn't interfere with my plans to go to France for the Euros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Rightwing wrote: »

The money is no good for them either. They'd be better paid working in a local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

The money is no good for them either. They'd be better paid working in a local pub.

Completely agree. Did correcting for 1st time last year but never again. After dividing what I received by hours worked I barley made minimum wage! How can they justify this? Just looked up the recruitment on examinations.ie and they're looking for written examiners in almost everything. TBH I think this was all part of some Minister Quinn plan to turn the correcting of state exams into such a joke that teachers would have to correct them as continuous assessment. His plan failed but his legacy lives on!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭clunked

gavwaldo wrote: »
    Completely agree. Did correcting for 1st time last year but never again. After dividing what I received by hours worked I barley made minimum wage! How can they justify this? Just looked up the recruitment on examinations.ie and they're looking for written examiners in almost everything. TBH I think this was all part of some Minister Quinn plan to turn the correcting of state exams into such a joke that teachers would have to correct them as continuous assessment. His plan failed but his legacy lives on!
    I wouldnt disagree about Quinn who was a minister with a bloated ego if ever there was but I believe that the top officials in the Dept are also culpable. They don't mind screwing us but I bet many of their perks have remained intact. I'd say they don't have to pay for a cup of tea at their conferences for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭SlinkyL

Yep - the money is now so poor that you'd be mad to give up your time to do it. Did separate centre supervision last year, LC student so long days and went on until 2-something of June..whenever economics exam was.. came out with less than €400. Never again. I'm glad that they can't get people to do it as the more that we accept these useless rates of pay the more they will force them upon us..

Or the more they will use that as justification to introduce continuous assessment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

doc_17 wrote: »
    Or the more they will use that as justification to introduce continuous assessment.

It's a juggling act alright, I'd say they won't mind about the junior cert, but they daren't mess about with the LC
    . They are probably assuming that they'll always have enough bodies to supervise and correct the LC.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Anyone Any ideas of/when they pay the advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

slickmcvic wrote: »

I think its next Wednesday. I used to get it the first day but I think they changed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

slickmcvic wrote: »

Usually five days from the start of the exams. In time for paying the attendant.

Advertisement