Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health???

Options
  • 02-06-2016 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭

Alright, I've been working like a madman for the last few weeks (and steadily since January) but I really feel as if my mental health is deteriorating and that I'm burning out. I'm either really anxious or completely numb and incapable of effective study. I have bipolar and anxiety, for which I take medicine, but the stress is kind of rendering them useless. I'm sure all of you are stressed as hell to, even if you don't have any medical conditions. Any advice on coping? Should I cut back on study (currently doing about 12 hours of not very effective study) per day?

Much love, your friendly neighbourhood TSMGUY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

12 hours of not very effective study per day is ... not very effective tbh, esp. at this stage.

Take your study in ~40 min doses, have a very definite goal for that time, and concentrate on getting it done. Take a 10 minute break, pref. move around, get some air and repeat.

Take a longer break in between each double session ... get lunch, whatever.

Get proper exercise every day ... easy enough in this weather. A good brisk walk is fine.

Finish at a reasonable time each day, and do something relaxing so that you are more likely to sleep.

6 hours decent concentrated study when you're not tired is likely to be more productive than 12 hours of stressed / tired / scattered "study".

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

I would definitely recommend excercise. This happrned to me during the mocks due to pressure. I lived for excercise during that time. Even if it's jumping on a trampoline or dancing to your favourite music it definitely helps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,189 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your mental health is far more important than any exam.

I know you probably think, oh that's easy to say (and I know you're repeating, which adds its own stress) but in the overall scale of your life, it is not worth getting ill over an exam.

Somewhere out there, there will be a number of students who become seriously unwell because of exam stress and it's all so unnecessary. Nothing is worth losing your mental health over.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭streetcar

Based on my own experience:
    If you are studying this morning, STOP. Go for a walk for an hour. Bring some music if it calms you. At the start your mind will be racing but if you concentrate on your breathing, put your shoulders down and take deep breaths and let your mind slowly settle. It might sound silly to others, but allow yourself to say nice things about yourself in your thoughts. Something like...
    'I can do this', 'No matter what happens, I am to approach it positively', 'I am not going let this stress beat me', 'I am good enough'

Make a plan for your day using randylonghorn's advice and don't go any more than 6 hours. Once the six hours is done, you need to put everything away and make a similar plan for tomorrow.

It is very difficult to advise anyone about stress and how to reduce it - everyone has their own way but I hope this helps.
    And remember, you really can do this.
    Even when things aren't working out as you expect, take a step back, you will be ok. Because you are good enough to succeed no matter what.

Look after yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Thanks a lot guys, great advice! I learned some of those things about mindfullness and positive thinking in Cognitive behavioural therapy so I should probably put them into practice! It's really easy to lose sight and believe these exams are the only measure of your worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Health takes importance over any exam. Every time.

Mind yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

I suffer from anxiety too (didn't find out until college, secondary schools really need councillors) and it definitely peaked during the LC(, even though my course wasn't high points I still had external pressure that made me incapable of study. You just need to take and look at the core cause of stress. Exams (especially as you're repeating), what can you do to stop this? Reduce 12 hours of ineffective study to 6 hours of 50 minute blocks with 15 minute breaks. For my college exams I'd do say 50 minutes, then walk around campus for 20 minutes and do another 50 minutes. Fresh air helps a lot.

Just remember, the leaving cert isn't the end (even though it feels like it and felt like it to me too).

I've seen your posts, you're doing plenty. Don't worry.

Advertisement