Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1-B Visa 2017

Options
  • 02-06-2016 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Couldn't find another thread on this.

Has anyone else applied? Hear anything back yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

Not sure what you are asking about.

The deadline is April 1st every year. My employer applied for me in March. They told me "As in prior years, we expect the the government will receive far more petitions on the first day of filing than can be received and approved under the annual quotas. The USCIS will stop allowing new filings by the first week in April and will require at least the first two weeks to count the number of petitions received. The USCIS will then run their lotteries in mid-April to randomly choose which petitions will be accepted to the two H1B quotas, for US advanced degree holders and for all other applicants."

On April 15 I got the message that my petition was chosen "as part of the H1B lottery" and "was assigned one of the limited H-cap numbers". Apparently there is a lottery among everyone who does not have a degree from a US college. This year there were more than 236,000 cases out of which 85,000 were selected.

I haven't got any update since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I think you are a year off; those that put in for the H1B this April will get interviews in the next few months and usually start work in October of the same year, so 2016. You cannot have your employer put in for next year's lottery yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Stenth wrote: »
    On April 15 I got the message that my petition was chosen "as part of the H1B lottery" and "was assigned one of the limited H-cap numbers". Apparently there is a lottery among everyone who does not have a degree from a US college. This year there were more than 236,000 cases out of which 85,000 were selected.

I haven't got any update since then.

I also applied this year, however I didn't pay for premium processing.

Has anyone heard any updates yet? I was told to expect a response in late May/ early June.

If it helps, today I got an update from the law firm saying I have got the H1B visa. Apparently I need to leave the US at some point after October 1st and then return to activate it, though.

If it helps, today I got an update from the law firm saying I have got the H1B visa. Apparently I need to leave the US at some point after October 1st and then return to activate it, though.
    I'm presuming you paid for premium processing if you had correspondence as early as April 15th?

• Advertisement

blue-army wrote: »
    I'm presuming you paid for premium processing if you had correspondence as early as April 15th?

No idea, to be honest. My employer hired a law firm, all correspondence is through them.

blue-army wrote: »

No idea, to be honest. My employer hired a law firm, all correspondence is through them.
    Fair enough. Cheers for your help.
    Good luck with the H1b!

Advertisement