Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pegida Demonstration in Limerick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Lol a member of Pegida, of course he would be :D

If he has grown up so much why does he still continue to use the fake name Tommy Robinson and other fake names?

His real name is Stephen Yaxley. Both of his parents are Irish Immigrants :D

He has a conviction and jail sentence for assaulting an off-duty policeman that intervened in a domestic case between himself and his girlfriend. Lovely chap then.

Hilarious that you lot cosy up to a guy who attacked a police officer who tried to stop him assaulting a woman and then profess concern about Muslims and how they treat women.

He is also a former member of the BNP and the name Tommy Robinson comes from the name of a prominent football hooligan member of the MIGS (Luton Town Football Hooligan Crew)

These guys have been responsible for the police having to warn Asian shops and homes in Luton that they were about to be attacked by the MIG crew.

This is the crowd of thugs that Stefanovich and his Pegida chums cosy up to and admire.
    I gather you didn't listen to what he said in the video. He admits making mistakes in the past but what he is saying now makes sense. Unless of course you think he is just lying and pretending to be reasonable. Why would he do so though, makes no sense.

Because I have already listened to enough bile pouring out of the mouths of Polish Pegida supporters I know here in Limerick. Your own posts here merely confirm my belief that Pegida are a bunch of xenophobic fear-mongering thugs.
    I am not and never have been violent. I am not racist I just believe certain elements within Islam are incompatible and do not want to integrate. Check out the ummah website and then come back to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

I am not and never have been violent. I am not racist I just believe certain elements within Islam are incompatible and do not want to integrate. Check out the ummah website and then come back to me.

I judge people by the company they keep and by their actions.

And from what you are posting and the people you are associating with I am getting major warning signals.

If you can't see what Pegida and the likes of Tommy Robinson represent then I am not sure anything I post here will convince you otherwise.

And for the record, I have my own concerns with Radical Islam but there is no way in hell that I'd associate with your buddies.

I judge people by the company they keep and by their actions.

And from what you are posting and the people you are associating with I am getting major warning signals.

If you can't see what Pegida and the likes of Tommy Robinson represent then I am not sure anything I post here will convince you otherwise.

And for the record, I have my own concerns with Radical Islam but there is no way in hell that I'd associate with your buddies.
    Who's my buddy? I just posted a video of Tommy Robinson at the Oxford Union. I watched it and he said nothing racist. In fact he talks about his immigrant friends and neighbours in a very positive light for the most part.

The problems he saw were from elements within the muslim Pakistani community trying to drive out locals, raping his 14 year old cousin and forcing her into heroin addiction and murdering his friend's father in cold blood in front of the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have you considered that it's been 22C the past week and they are just trying to stay cool. Saw some guys walking around with no tops on during the week, are they looking for attention?

Pfft, silly woman. Don't you know that men should be allowed to tell us how to dress and why we dress how we do. Even if they are also telling us that muslim men shouldn't have that right and they are only concerned about us.:rolleyes:
    What Pegida are saying is reasonable. Therefore the only argument the ironically named "antifa" have is violence. You can be nearly guaranteed that they are already planning to "bash the fascists". They will be made up of anarchists, open borders types and sinn fein types bussed down from the north.
    Sounds an awful lot like the tripe Mosley's supporters came out with about the 'Battle' of Cable St. Though history has since shown the lie of it and the people of Britain, if not all of western Europe owe quite a debt to those who wouldn't let English fascism grow unhindered.

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    Sounds an awful lot like the tripe Mosley's supporters came out with about the 'Battle' of Cable St. Though history has since shown the lie of it and the people of Britain, if not all of western Europe owe quite a debt to those who wouldn't let English fascism grow unhindered.

You might find this hilarious but I am actually quite a fan of Mosley. His speech on globalisation is actually more relevant today than ever before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I am not and never have been violent. I am not racist I just believe certain elements within Islam are incompatible and do not want to integrate.

There's plenty of atheist refugees. Is it ok if we let them in? They might have brown skin though.

zulutango wrote: »
    There's plenty of atheist refugees. Is it ok if we let them in? They might have brown skin though.

Are there though? Where do you get that from?

Why are you implying I am a racist? I have nothing against black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I don't necessarily support PEGIDA but I do wonder if we were living in one of the European countries recently victim of Jihadist attacks would we be so quick to call these people racists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Are there though? Where do you get that from?

Because many refugee's would be fleeing from religious persecution and atheist discrimination of the worst kind.
    Admiring women is now perving. What about that ad for diet coke where the women are all looking at the guy washing the windows? That's also perving is it or is perving only when a man you dislike admires you?

Ah the diet coke ad, I was waiting for it to be brought up :rolleyes: Do I think the Diet Coke ad is sexist?Yes. Do I think it objectifies men? Yes. Do I think you can compare one advert that was on 5 years ago to the constant and relentless sexual objectification that women experience pretty much every day of their lives?No. I would hate for men to be objectified in the same way as women are. It's not a nice thing to live with.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote:
    Because many refugee's would be fleeing from religious persecution and atheist discrimination of the worst kind.
    Is this your own personal guesswork or someone else's?
    panda100 wrote:
    Ah the diet coke ad, I was waiting for it to be brought up Do I think the Diet Coke ad is sexist?Yes. Do I think it objectifies men? Yes. Do I think you can compare one advert that was on 5 years ago to the constant and relentless sexual objectification that women experience pretty much every day of their lives?No. I would hate for men to be objectified in the same way as women are. It's not a nice thing to live with.

How is this relevant at all to the Pegida demonstration?

How is this relevant at all to the Pegida demonstration?

You are the one that brought it up to begin with. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Most religion is for cavemen, to be fair.
    I won't argue with that :cool:
    iguana wrote: »
    The problem with banning them is that the women who wear them may then find themselves forced to stay home and unable to interact at all with anyone not approved of by their husbands/fathers.
    That in a nutshell is why Islam has no place in a modern western society that promotes equality. They want to benefit from the fruits that living in a western society provides them, yet at the same time continue to live by values that belong to the dark ages. Laws and rights that we have democratically fought long and hard to overturn. I'm sorry, but I'm not having that. You want to come and live in the west, well then you adapt and compromise. You're not prepared to tolerate gay people and their rights, or tolerate the rights of western women? Well sorry but you are not welcome here. And that is not being xenophobic or racist. Western governments need to wake up and legislate so as to avoid what has happened in France and countless UK towns and cities. But most of all they need to wake up and legislate to ban all religious symbolism from public life. It's the root of all evil. It causes nothing but problems. Why should we continue to kowtow to a religion, or any religion for that matter? It's ridiculous in this day and age.

And as for the burka, I'd love to know how one can tell whether it's even a woman underneath the Black cloak and veil? Anyone? All I see is a pair of eyes. You can't even make out the persons body shape. These women don't even speak and won't as much as say hello to anyone, especially any man. Next we'll be having the likes of the Kinahans walking around Dublin in burkas because f**k it, might as well, nobody will say boo to them or have a clue who they are. Or maybe leave the IRA lads walk around in their balaclavas because they feel more comfortable that way. I might adopt the football hooligan look myself - hoodie and face scarf. Remember equality folks - what's good for the goose is good for the gander :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Reminder folks that this is the Limerick forum

I suppose, at least if we (in Ireland) ban the burkha now, before the Muslim community is too big, then we might avert the problems that countries like France have had when they tried to retroactively do it with much more established Muslim communities.

I'm not sure if it's the right approach. We'd really have to ban all religious symbolism and paraphernalia so that any one religious group didn't feel discriminated against (this causing further problems), but where do we draw the line? It would be the death of ... eh ... death metal!!

By the way, I live near what I think is a mosque in Limerick City and I've no real problems with it (other than thinking they're all bonkers for believing in the hocus pocus that is religion). It's interesting to see the men congregrating late in the evening there these days bringing in food with them. I think because it's Ramadan they can only eat after sundown. Must be a bitch being a Muslim in the northern latitudes in summer time!!

zulutango wrote:
    By the way, I live near what I think is a mosque in Limerick City and I've no real problems with it (other than thinking they're all bonkers for believing in the hocus pocus that is religion). It's interesting to see the men congregrating late in the evening there these days bringing in food with them. I think because it's Ramadan they can only eat after sundown. Must be a bitch being a Muslim in the northern latitudes in summer time!!

Is that near fine wines?

Is that near fine wines?

I would tell you but I don't want a mob outside my house with pitchforks.

Yeah Ramadan is now or soon anyway. Think in places with long daylight hours they can get permission to observe it for a set number of hours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

I suppose, at least if we (in Ireland) ban the burkha now, before the Muslim community is too big, then we might avert the problems that countries like France have had when they tried to retroactively do it with much more established Muslim communities.

I'm not sure if it's the right approach. We'd really have to ban all religious symbolism and paraphernalia so that any one religious group didn't feel discriminated against (this causing further problems), but where do we draw the line? It would be the death of ... eh ... death metal!!

I've noticed a big increase in the number of women in Limerick wearing burkhas and I think it's a bad thing. We need to bear in mind that it's a personal choice to wear it, not a religious obligation and it makes a very definite statement that the wearer is extreme in their religious beliefs. Many of us have lived and worked abroad and we've accepted that when we live and work abroad it's up to us to fit in and to obey the laws of that land. What we're getting with large numbers of Muslims is something that we aren't used to, a large number of people who think that our way of life is wrong and who really don't want anything to do with us.

It's also important to note that many of these Muslims being brought in now are young men who come from the back of beyond in the Mid East and who have little to no education, who are very extreme in their backwards views on women, Western women in particular. One thing that worries me is that we aren't allowed to express concern about the criminal behaviour these men have brought with them to Europe, without being labelled as racist, xenophobic or Islamophobic. It's almost seen as some sort of hate crime to make any comment about Islam or Muslim migrants that isn't positive and Islam friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

scream wrote: »
    I've noticed a big increase in the number of women in Limerick wearing burkhas and I think it's a bad thing. We need to bear in mind that it's a personal choice to wear it, not a religious obligation and it makes a very definite statement that the wearer is extreme in their religious beliefs.
    Interesting point, but are the motives not similar behind the somewhat puritan dress code applied to females attending Catholic secondary schools in Limerick?

• Advertisement

A point worth noting is that the vast, vast majority of the Muslims that we see in town are not from the Middle East. They're mostly from Pakistan and Afghanistan. They're economic migrants, not refugees, and we shouldn't mix the two groupings up. They're very different.

A point worth noting is that the vast, vast majority of the Muslims that we see in town are not from the Middle East. They're mostly from Pakistan and Afghanistan. They're economic migrants, not refugees, and we shouldn't mix the two groupings up. They're very different.
    Well don't just assume because a person arrived in a boat from the med that they are not also an economic migrant. They are certainly not all Syrian you know.

Interesting point, but are the motives not similar behind the somewhat puritan dress code applied to females attending Catholic secondary schools in Limerick?

There's a massive difference. Don't try to normalise by making false comparisons.

Most people find the dress codes of those schools a bit ludicrous, at the end of the day it's just a school uniform and the young ladies are hardly extremely religious.:D The burkha on the other hand is an entirely different kettle of fish. Speaking of school uniforms, I was watching a news report on Sky yesterday about FGM in the UK and it was interesting to note that in a mixed class of Muslims and non Muslims it was very clear the the school uniform rules don't seem to apply to the Muslims as only the non Muslim kids appeared to be wearing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to admit I'm really struggling to see how this is a local Limerick issue

Well don't just assume because a person arrived in a boat from the med that they are not also an economic migrant. They are certainly not all Syrian you know.

I'm not assuming that.

I'm saying the Muslims you see in town aren't refugees, and they didn't come across the Mediterranean Sea on boats. They're a totally different group.

Clareman wrote: »

The only relevant thing so far is that the Pegida fuhrer is coming to visit Limerick.

The rest has been broad strokes against Muslims in a thinly veiled effort to fearmonger about Syrian refugees.

The only detail missing is when and where this meeting is taking place.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Clareman wrote: »

Agreed, the questions asked by the OP were as follows below; We have moved away from that into the now usual road for these threads.

• What are people's opinions on this demonstration?
    • Will it go ahead peacefully or will we see similar scenes as we saw in Dublin with far-left mobs causing violence?
    • Does anyone here plan to go to support?
    • Would you like to go but are you worried about being caught up in potential violence or worried about being labelled a racist or anti-Muslim etc?

We've had numerous reported posts on this thread and none of them were related to questions raised above.

We are reluctant to close this thread but I'm sure the posters are seeing where we are coming from on this.
    There are other forums for discussing the other points, so might be as well to take them to there and leave this thread for what the OP requested.

I don't think it really has gone off thread. A lot of people around Europe have concerns and fears about the mass migration of Muslims to Europe, many of those fears have proven to be correct but EU wide, governments aren't listening to those concerns and have adopted a la la la my fingers are in my ears I can't hear you attitude to the problem, but groups like PEGEIDA reflect peoples concerns. While I wouldn't consider myself to be right wing, I do have a lot of concerns and if I wanted to go to the meeting I'd like to be able to think that I could do so without risk of being at attacked by ultra leftists. We live in a democratic country but it didn't look like that at the last PEGIDA rally, so it's hardly surprising that the location has been kept secret. It's worrying that there are ultra leftist extremists in this country who will attack people to stop them from expressing an opinion. People aren't right wing, they're just looking for someone who will listen to them and not label them xenophobic, racist or Islamophobic when they say they're concerned about the migrant problems. I'll be very surprised if the meeting goes ahead without violent protests from the left wing.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen and heard from Pegida supporters in Limerick, they are largely ill-informed, present blatant untruths as facts, share outright racist and xenophobic content online, spout similar racist and xenophobic remarks in person and generally are a thoroughly unsavoury group of characters.

So to call them right-wing, racist, xenophobic and Islamaphobic is pretty accurate to be honest.

Now the question remains is this. Do people with genuine concerns about immigration and the refugee crisis want to be associated with people like that? If they do, then that speaks volumes about their own character and motivations.

The far right and the far left have much more in common than they realise. Namely that ordinary decent citizens largely want nothing to do with them and for good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement