Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pegida Demonstration in Limerick

1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

From what I have seen and heard from Pegida supporters in Limerick, they are largely ill-informed, present blatant untruths as facts, share outright racist and xenophobic content online, spout similar racist and xenophobic remarks in person and generally are a thoroughly unsavoury group of characters.

So to call them right-wing, racist, xenophobic and Islamaphobic is pretty accurate to be honest.

Now the question remains is this. Do people with genuine concerns about immigration and the refugee crisis want to be associated with people like that? If they do, then that speaks volumes about their own character and motivations.

The far right and the far left have much more in common than they realise. Namely that ordinary decent citizens largely want nothing to do with them and for good reason.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You don't want to hear what PEGEIDA have to say and therefore you have the option not to go to the meeting, but there are people who are interested and they should have the right to go and listen without being intimidated by people who don't share their opinions. I won't be at the meeting but I'd hate to see Ireland become a place where you risk your safety by voicing an opinion, funnily enough the places you're most at risk from that are predominantly Muslim.

scream wrote: »
    I'd hate to see Ireland become a place where you risk your safety by voicing an opinion, funnily enough the places you're most at risk from that are predominantly Muslim.

Ohh I dunno, I can think of a fair few places a little further North where an open mouth can break a nose. All white God-fearing Christians though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭TonyCliftonEsq

scream wrote: »
    That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. You don't want to hear what PEGEIDA have to say and therefore you have the option not to go to the meeting, but there are people who are interested and they should have the right to go and listen without being intimidated by people who don't share their opinions. I won't be at the meeting but I'd hate to see Ireland become a place where you risk your safety by voicing an opinion, funnily enough the places you're most at risk from that are predominantly Muslim.

Yeah I won't be going but I support their right to make arses out of themselves in public without fear of being harmed. Laughed at maybe, but not harmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

From what I have seen and heard from Pegida supporters in Limerick, they are largely ill-informed, present blatant untruths as facts, share outright racist and xenophobic content online, spout similar racist and xenophobic remarks in person and generally are a thoroughly unsavoury group of characters.

So to call them right-wing, racist, xenophobic and Islamaphobic is pretty accurate to be honest.

What you are saying makes absolutely no sense and I really want to call you out on it. You know a bunch of Polish lads who are racist and who say they support Pegida. There are as much members and spokespersons for Pegida as that 13 year old in a stupid mask is a member of anonymous or that idiot down the pub is a member of the IRA.

Yeah I won't be going but I support their right to make arses out of themselves in public without fear of being harmed. Laughed at maybe, but not harmed.

Can you take what is being said by Pegida for what its worth rather than your prejudicial opinions based on what some Polish guy down the pub said?

Can you explain the motivation behind your arguments? I don't want to say that there is an us and them because there shouldn't be. There really shouldn't be. I do think though that there are issues with integration of the muslim community here in Limerick. They appear to be very closed off. Any exceptions I have found tend to be people who are not exactly devout.

So you fight against the idea that Islam has negative aspects which benefit no one and instead of arguing on the side of your own you align yourself with that which may cause us harm. Why?

• Advertisement

I do think though that there are issues with integration of the muslim community here in Limerick.

SO are you looking to become theior spokesperson i Limerick then? You're sure doing a good job for them, they should be sending you cheques, or at elast vouchers for the local Astroturf club....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There's a public meeting on tomorrow evening to organise against Pegida coming to limerick. I think it's important that no platform is given to these fascists and they are not welcomed in any shape or form into the city. Anyone interested in getting involved can PM me and i can send them on details.

panda100 wrote: »
    no platform is given to these fascists
    You don't want them to be able to express their opinion? How do you plan to deny them their platform? I hope not violence like in Dublin with your hired help from the republican communities up north. I hate to break it to you but you're the real fascists here.

SO are you looking to become theior spokesperson i Limerick then? You're sure doing a good job for them, they should be sending you cheques, or at elast vouchers for the local Astroturf club....

What's up with you and comments about Astroturf? If it is your way of telling me you know who I am then please stop. It's creepy as hell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I'd go out of curiosity, to see what they have to say. We get told constantly that immigration is a wonderful thing, so it would be refreshing to hear an alternative POV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

You don't want them to be able to express their opinion? How do you plan to deny them their platform? I hope not violence like in Dublin with your hired help from the republican communities up north. I hate to break it to you but you're the real fascists here.
    PEGIDA is just another of many platforms that the German fascist party NPD use, to attack migrant workers and their families.

Lutz Bachmann’s anti-Moslem demos in Dresden, have given rise to hundreds of arson attacks and it’s only a matter of time before innocent people will get killed.

It’s like the 1990’s all over again, where NPD street mobs targeted Vietnamese and Africans in the East.

Most Germans see PEGIDA as a wolf in sheep’s clothing, they know that their own NPD are a far greater menace than the ISIS will ever be in Europe.

Can you take what is being said by Pegida for what its worth rather than your prejudicial opinions based on what some Polish guy down the pub said?

Can you explain the motivation behind your arguments? I don't want to say that there is an us and them because there shouldn't be. There really shouldn't be. I do think though that there are issues with integration of the muslim community here in Limerick. They appear to be very closed off. Any exceptions I have found tend to be people who are not exactly devout.

So you fight against the idea that Islam has negative aspects which benefit no one and instead of arguing on the side of your own you align yourself with that which may cause us harm. Why?

Haha you're hilarious man, really. Good luck with your rally, remember you can get get really really really black socks from Habit-hat. Don't go to an ordinary shop they'll shaft you every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Is there a demonstration even happening? For the last week it has been talked about but no times or dates and not even a link to anywhere which even provides said information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

There's a public meeting on tomorrow evening to organise against Pegida coming to limerick. I think it's important that no platform is given to these fascists and they are not welcomed in any shape or form into the city. Anyone interested in getting involved can PM me and i can send them on details.

Why not just start a thread and give the information in the op it would be so much easier. Just make sure that in the op that discussion should be kept to a minimum and only about yer demonstration

I could care about either demonstration but it's much easier to put it out there for everyone to see and not look for a pm as some people might not see your post about it but would see the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Why are you insinuating that Panda100 was involved in what happened in Dublin and has links to republican communities up north ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

I think it's important that no platform is given to these fascists.

What an ironic statement. Not only do you not understand what fascism is but you're attempting to shut down a protest because you don't like their political views.

You are the very definition of a fascist.

Haha you're hilarious man, really. Good luck with your rally, remember you can get get really really really black socks from Habit-hat. Don't go to an ordinary shop they'll shaft you every time
    So no answers for my questions then, just mockery.
    jonski wrote:
    Why are you insinuating that Panda100 was involved in what happened in Dublin and has links to republican communities up north ?
    No, she is part of the mobilised left and I am referring to them collectively.

Well, since this thread is about Limerick's reaction to Pegida's visit, and her answer is "A counter demonstration is being organised", I don't think she needs a second thread.

Pegida will just have to put up with an opposing team on their AstroTurf thread.

Personally I see it going down like this:

Well, since this thread is about Limerick's reaction to Pegida's visit, and her answer is "A counter demonstration is being organised", I don't think she needs a second thread.
    Juts wondering what this means.
    I think it's important that no platform is given to these fascists

How do they plan to deny them a platform?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I can only imagine the collection of bleeding hearts that will form the counter demonstration.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

jonski wrote:

Ha! :) I've been called worse

How do they plan to deny them a platform?

I''m not going to get into this here as I agree with Yop and Clareman this is not the appropriate forum for discussion.

I will say this though. I love limerick it is my home, and my love for this place stems mainly from the welcoming and friendly people here. Having first hand experience of living as an immigrant in a foreign land, i would hate for others to be treated with hostility and scorn in this city just because they have a different religion or culture. There are issues with integration that must be addressed,but Pegida and their hate-filled bile is not the answer.
    Anyone that is genuinely interested in integration and the current issues of migrant segregation should check out UL researcher Des McCafferty ongoing work in this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

I don't think "no platform " is the way to go. People should be free to express their views. If Pegida cross the line there is a law prohibiting inciting racial/religious hatred that can be enforced. My hope would be that they get a poor turn out. I would probably be viewed as being on the left politically and economically but I don't want to suppress others views.

panda100 wrote:
    I will say this though. I love limerick it is my home, and my love for this place stems mainly from the welcoming and friendly people here. Having first hand experience of living as an immigrant in a foreign land, i would hate for others to be treated with hostility and scorn in this city just because they have a different religion or culture. There are issues with integration that must be addressed,but Pegida and their hate-filled bile is not the answer. Anyone that is genuinely interested in integration and the current issues of migrant segregation should check out UL researcher Des McCafferty ongoing work in this area.

Can't answer my question about something you are planning in Limerick because of moderators direction? No. They didn't want us arguing about Islam actually.

So the hostility and scorn is reserved for those who have a different opinion?

What evidence do you have of hate?

Link to his work please? I am sure it is rubbish. Want to confirm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Can't answer my question about something you are planning in Limerick because of moderators direction? No. They didn't want us arguing about Islam actually.

So the hostility and scorn is reserved for those who have a different opinion?

What evidence do you have of hate?

Link to his work please? I am sure it is rubbish. Want to confirm.

Do you really want to be an apologist for these wãnkers?

Do you really want to be an apologist for these wãnkers?

I'm looking for evidence.

PEGIDA LIMERICK
    Are_you_right_there_father_ted.jpg
    JUST ONE BIG MISUNDERSTANDING

From the Pegida wikipedia page
    Pegida's main organiser, Bachmann, declared the six central political objectives of Pegida, which include calls for selective immigration and the expulsion of religious extremists, the right and duty to integrate, and tighter internal security.[
    Seems fairly reasonable.

PEGIDA LIMERICK

JUST ONE BIG MISUNDERSTANDING

Nice propaganda. Evidence?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

*** Thread Closed - We asked and it was not heeded.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement