Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead cat/birds

• 02-06-2016 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I live on the ground floor of a block of four apartments with a small communal garden at the back. Around this time last year we found a dead bird in the garden under our washing line. Two months ago we found another dead bird, in almost exactly the same spot. Today we found a dead cat in the same area. Nowhere else in the garden has this occurred. Could this be coincidence or is it more likely that someone has put out poison somewhere? Is there someone it should be reported to? We have a toddler so are obviously concerned.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Are there any dogs big enough to kill a cat and carry it there that have access to the garden? One of my dogs brought 2 dead birds and a dead mouse into the house on 3 consecutive days that he seemed to find in the same place. At the time I wondered if my brother's dog had killed them and carried them there. It hasn't happened since and its a good while ago now though.

I don't think it would be poison. I can't imagine how you would get it into a bird, unless they were birds of prey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,763 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I live on the ground floor of a block of four apartments with a small communal garden at the back. Around this time last year we found a dead bird in the garden under our washing line. Two months ago we found another dead bird, in almost exactly the same spot. Today we found a dead cat in the same area. Nowhere else in the garden has this occurred. Could this be coincidence or is it more likely that someone has put out poison somewhere? Is there someone it should be reported to? We have a toddler so are obviously concerned.

Probably the birds died from striking windows on the upper levels of the building. Happens a lot with taller buildings:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 430 ✭✭scream

Maybe someone is putting out poison in food and the birds ate it and now the cat. It's something I always try to warn people about when they say they're leaving out poisoned food for rats. All it takes is the food to be picked up by a bird, dropped in a garden and for a toddler to pick it up and put it in their mouths, that's before you factor in the other animals that might possibly be poisoned accidentally. Please put a notice up so any neighbours who have pets are aware that their might be poisoned food around that could affect their animals. There may have been other incidents that you aren't aware of and a notice would alert others if they've come across dead animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Are there any dogs big enough to kill a cat and carry it there that have access to the garden? One of my dogs brought 2 dead birds and a dead mouse into the house on 3 consecutive days that he seemed to find in the same place. At the time I wondered if my brother's dog had killed them and carried them there. It hasn't happened since and its a good while ago now though.

I don't think it would be poison. I can't imagine how you would get it into a bird, unless they were birds of prey.
    No dogs around and it was a very big cat.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably the birds died from striking windows on the upper levels of the building. Happens a lot with taller buildings:(

All were found dead about 20ft from the building.

• Advertisement

Is there any group I could report this to, if it is poison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Could the cat have fallen off the building perhaps?

Perhaps call a vet? They'd have an idea what killed the cat.

12Phase wrote: »
    Could the cat have fallen off the building perhaps?

Perhaps call a vet? They'd have an idea what killed the cat.

Too far away from the building to have fallen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

If you're concerned about poisoning you might want to contact the ISPCA or local counterpart e.g. DSPCA in Dublin.

Poisoning as a form of pest control other than for rats and mice is illegal in Ireland and deliberately poisoning birds or cats is absolutely illegal and can carry fairly hefty fines since the 2010 changes to law came in to protect birds of prey.

I'd get in touch with the *SPCA and also with the local council.

I called the County Council today. They are sending a vet out to examine the cat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement