Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenway Pub Crawl

• 02-06-2016 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭

Hi folks, there are a few of us looking to do a gentle and well mannered pub crawl along the Greenway.

Plan was to start in Achill, stop in Mulrany and Newport and finish in Westport.
    Can anybody tell me/recommend any other places, pubs or restaurants on the route.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Nevins is ideally placed between Mulranny and Newport.
    http://www.nevinsinn.com/

Lovely grub and I think they have a small number of rooms on a B&B basis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

odyssey06 wrote:
    Lovely grub and I think they have a small number of rooms on a B&B basis.

Thanks for that, pub looks great. It looks like the perfect halfway point on the longest stretch.

Is that far off the greenway path? Are we on the open road for long on that stretch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Thanks for that, pub looks great. It looks like the perfect halfway point on the longest stretch. Is that far off the greenway path? Are we on the open road for long on that stretch?

The greenway runs just behind Nevins, and there's an access path very conveniently located right beside the pub so you're not on the open road at all really. Remarkable Irish coincidence that...

I suppose the only problem with that greenway stretch is that the views are to the mountain side rather than the ocean side, and you'd have to take a big detour to see the Game-of-Thrones-esque Rockfleet Castle & Burrishoole Abbey:
    http://www.destinationwestport.com/places-to-visit/towns-and-villages/newport/rockfleet-castle/
    http://www.destinationwestport.com/places-to-visit/towns-and-villages/newport/burrishoole-abbey/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote:
    Remarkable Irish coincidence that...

Genius. Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Agree re Nevins = does a great trade

Also the old GSR hotel at Mulranny,

My late parents remembered when you could travel to it by rail, the station being at the back of the hotel.

Many pubs in Newport - you go thru the town.

The Blue Bicycle Cafe there has a good menu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The greenway runs just behind Nevins, and there's an access path very conveniently located right beside the pub so you're not on the open road at all really. Remarkable Irish coincidence that...

I suppose the only problem with that greenway stretch is that the views are to the mountain side rather than the ocean side, and you'd have to take a big detour to see the Game-of-Thrones-esque Rockfleet Castle & Burrishoole Abbey:
    http://www.destinationwestport.com/places-to-visit/towns-and-villages/newport/rockfleet-castle/
    http://www.destinationwestport.com/places-to-visit/towns-and-villages/newport/burrishoole-abbey/

You do have views of Croagh Patrick, Clare Island, the 365 islands in inner CLew Bay etc

Dalys in Mulranny has new owners and now does bar food. The best view in Ireland from a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Dalys in Mulranny has new owners and now does bar food. The best view in Ireland from a pub.

They've opened a B&B too after a complete renovation upstairs. The pictures I've seen are very very nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭plodder

There's also the Buckfield Inn between Newport and Westport. It's about a km off the greenway.

link

Never been in it, but have walked past and it looks nice.

I also remember a coffee shop on the Achill to Mulranny section. Don't know if it's still open though or exactly where it was.

‘Why do you sit out here all alone?’ said Alice…..
    ‘Why, because there’s nobody with me!’ cried Humpty Dumpty.‘Did you think I didn’t know the answer to that?’

Cheers for all the advice folks. We were up there the weekend. Had a heavy Friday night and I wasn't feeling great on Sat. morning but we pushed ahead with the cycling. Clew Bay Bike Hire dropped us up to Achill and we headed back with a healthy oul tail wind so it was a very gentle cycle. There's a nice rise and drop just before Westport but apart from that it was easy.

Stops:
    1. Achill Island Hotel 0km
    2. Mulranny Park Hotel 14km
    3. Nevin's 7.2km
    4. Grainne Uaile 9km
    5. Westport 10.8km

Certainly would recommend it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement